Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not an advocate of mandatory busing. Who's to know if that's "right".
I guess we should hire a bunch of urban planners to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I guess we should hire a bunch of urban planners to find out.
You are totally missing the point, and I do not appreciate the mockery! You don't know what you don't know.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
You are totally missing the point, and I do not appreciate the mockery! You don't know what you don't know.
YOU HAVEN'T MADE A POINT.

You've offered no tasks for planners to do for education. I thought that might be a good one?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
YOU HAVEN'T MADE A POINT.

You've offered no tasks for planners to do for education. I thought that might be a good one?
1. You're lying. I"ve offered a number of suggestions. They all get dismissed. Done playing your game, you set me up to knock me down. You are not debating in good faith.

2. I am not the thread starter. I am not the only one who feels perhaps urban planners SHOULD concern themselves with childhood education more than they do now, which is just about nil.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Then what else is the point?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
While it's unclear that school desegregation led to a substantive increase in performance for African-American students, it clearly led to a drop in black youth criminal behavior.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Then what else is the point?
Read the OP.

I think planners should be cognizant of what's going on in the public schools in their jurisdiction. I think planners, or someone from city govt., should represent the city at school board meetings. You may think these meetings are just a bunch of hooey about schools and whether students should be allowed to wear "gang colors" or not and the like, but what if the school comes up with a plan to discontinue transportation services? That has an impact on traffic patterns. JUST ONE EXAMPLE!!! Don't get carried away with the example. I think planners have a huge interest in the quality of the schools b/c they are not going to entice people to live in the city for their entire adulthood if the schools are crap. What benefits a city to get young adults and empty nesters only? I think the more planners know about the schools, the more they'd want to know. And I think they should be concerned about ALL the schools, not just about a few charters/magnets for special snowflake students.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I'm going to cross-post this from the other thread, as it seems more relevant here...

About the only element of traditional school board policy I think urban planning would have a big impact on is designing school feeder zones, although in practice, the results might be limited.

Let's consider a hypothetical city, which is majority white, but has a majority black public school enrollment, and has a strong black component (if not majority) on the local Board of Education.

Due to declining enrollment, two schools need to be closed. The African-American reps on the school board feel strongly that at least one of these schools should be racially mixed or majority-white, as this would be more fair. They are okay with two being closed, however, provided at least some of the students get to go to neighborhood schools in the more affluent, mixed and white areas of the city.

From an urban planning standpoint, these are bad ideas. Whatever white neighborhoods lose their local school will likely see an outflow of residents from the public school system entirely. Furthermore, taking a substantial chunk of lower income black students and putting them into borderline, or even good, neighborhood schools in white or mixed areas increases the likelihood that white parents will begin leaving the school system in larger numbers, and the decline will continue.

From a planning standpoint, the best thing to do is.

1. Identify gentrifying areas with "bad" local schools, as well as stable areas with good bones and a somewhat mixed population of residents (if not public school students).
2. Adjust feeder patterns so as many of these areas as possible are within the "good" or "borderline" schools, and not the "bad" ones.
3. Hope the adjustment leads to further middle-class buy in into the public school system, and further growth of the tax base in these neighborhoods, which over time will strengthen the district.

The problem is, while this might be sensible from an urban planning standpoint, it may be considered racial gerrymandering and segregation by the Department of Justice. Not the sort of national press you want about your district.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 AM

^^As you naysayers can see, there are urban planning issues WRT the public schools.

I would disagree that this is "about the only" issue.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The problem is, while this might be sensible from an urban planning standpoint, it may be considered racial gerrymandering and segregation by the Department of Justice. Not the sort of national press you want about your district.
^ of the utmost importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning