U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 PM

8,799 posts, read 10,709,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I meant urban planners in a more global sense, the way it seems to be on this board.
I fail to see how one board on one website is "more global" than an actual real world profession. I think some people might be better off if they put what happens on this forum in better perspective.

Language Log: Someone's word order is wrong on the internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 PM

86,993 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Do you think Pittsburg city planners should make decisions for Mount Oliver?
What's that go to do with anything? I think they should make decisions for the parts of Pittsburgh within the PPS. Mt. Oliver is exactly 0.3 sq. mi. in size. Next time, spell Pittsburgh right.

Mount Oliver, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I fail to see how one board on one website is "more global" than an actual real world profession. I think some people might be better off if they put what happens on this forum in better perspective.

Language Log: Someone's word order is wrong on the internet
Well, then, perhaps we should limit the discussions on this board to building and zoning issues only. nei, delete all posts/threads not pertaining to those subjects.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,099,778 times
So now that we're talking "globally" about urban planning, I guess we can also delete the first 75% of this argument which was spent castigating urban planners.

It's odd to have a discussion starts out with a very narrow focus and ends up at one that is extremely broad. It's usually the other way around.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM

743 posts, read 1,103,166 times
Quote:
What's that go to do with anything? I think they should make decisions for the parts of Pittsburgh within the PPS. Mt. Oliver is exactly 0.3 sq. mi. in size. Next time, spell Pittsburgh right.

Mount Oliver, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am reading that you want city planning departments to make education decisions. If this happened in PITTSBURGH (ooohhhh, you caught a spelling mistake on the internet!) that would necessarily mean that the department would be making decisions for people who could not hold them accountable. The same holds true in Miami, Dallas, Austin, etc.

The previous mayor of Dallas tried to take over the school system. But about 1/3 of the city was in one of a dozen other districts, and the school district covered parts of a dozen suburban municipalities. That doesn't fly.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM

743 posts, read 1,103,166 times
Parting shot. You wrote this like 30 minutes ago:

Quote:
I did a search about "are public schools part of city government"
I then answered your question.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Quote:
But you nailed it here! I have the same opinion. And while I'm often the one who asks for links, and puts up links myself, anyone can find something on the internet that agrees with their position. That's what I think of some of these links that supposedly prove this racist crap that's being posted in this thread.
You posted this immediately following one of the most prominant black posters on the site chiming in saying he couldn't find disagreement with what I said. And even the poster you replied to accused me of pigeonholing, not being a racist. IMHO you should let the black posters on the forum speak for themselves on this, not jump to conclusions when I happened to bring up some (admittedly discouraging) facts. I've seriously dated black women, lived in black neighborhoods, and (as I said) my daughter goes to a 90%+ black day care.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Parting shot. You wrote this like 30 minutes ago:

I then answered your question.
You'd see that I am not claiming that schools are part of any city's government. nei says the NYC schools are part of NY govt. brooklynborndad says the DC schools are part of the DC govt.

My point was to show that in the several cities I chose, the schools are NOT part of the city govt. In Denver, and all over Colorado, the SCHOOL BOARD chooses the supt. of schools.

Last edited by nei; 04-12-2013 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: rude, thread clean up

Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM

8,799 posts, read 10,709,555 times
Quote:
If you had read the thread instead of following the herd, you'd see that I am not claiming that schools are part of any city's government. nei says the NYC schools are part of NY govt. brooklynborndad says the DC schools are part of the DC govt.

My point was to show that in the several cities I chose, the schools are NOT part of the city govt. In Denver, and all over Colorado, the SCHOOL BOARD chooses the supt. of schools.
it varies from place to place. In all the areas of VA where the school board chooses the supt, the county boards and county execs are very aware of schooling and school issues - seeing as its typically half their budgets, and a huge determinant of residential and business location, its hardly suprising. Im just not seeing this "city pols ignore education" thing.

But HOW to make schools better belongs in the education forum. And how to make city schools in particular better, probably belongs there also - at least if the differences have to do with demographic factors that are not unique to cities.

Here in greater DC the district schools have some big problems. So do the PG county schools in adjoining Md. Both have issues with student bodies that are relatively poor, whose parents are less educated, and who come from minorities that have historically suffered discrimination. PGs SFHs, its autocentrism, and its formal status as a suburb do not change that. I would argue that the problems of DC schools, so similar to those of PG, are not really "urban school problems" They are poor minority school problems. And thus not particularly on topic for this forum.

Other issues - how to get more kids to bike to school - what to do about landmark school buildings no longer needed - what to do about a school system that is first losing students but then regaining from gentrification - as some say DCPS will - and therefore what to do with the buildings - IS on topic.

Last edited by nei; 04-12-2013 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Well, then, perhaps we should limit the discussions on this board to building and zoning issues only. nei, delete all posts/threads not pertaining to those subjects.
What is on topic for this forum is not limited to the field of urban planning. It is explained in the welcome post of the forum sticky:

Welcome to the Urban Planning forum!

This forum is not a professional urban planning forum, as should be obvious to any regular. Nor does the usual discussion on the forum define what urban planning involves. A mention of urban planning or urban planners in "real life" is things that people who deal with city planning departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or