Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot of people don't even slow down for speed bumps. I have witnessed a few accidents where someone ran over a speed bump too fast, lost control, and then crashed into parked cars. Apparently hitting a speed bump with too much speed can be fatal in some cases.

Driver dies after hitting speed bump, utility pole | khou.com Houston
I believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
A lot of people don't even slow down for speed bumps. I have witnessed a few accidents where someone ran over a speed bump too fast, lost control, and then crashed into parked cars. Apparently hitting a speed bump with too much speed can be fatal in some cases.

That driver has no one and nothing to blame but himself. What if a driver runs a red light and kills someone or himself? Are you going to blame the red light too? Those who can't obey the rules of the road should not be driving and should have their driving privileges revoked and vehicle towed away. I have zero sympathy for them. Having one less dangerous idiot driver off the road is always a good thing in my view.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The best "solutions" are those that are hardest to "retrofit" -- in my own town there was an opportunity to completely rebuild / reconfigure a "sub-arterial thoroughfare". The county first got input form our town's road maintenenance staff and the first draft of the plans were about "uncalm" as one can get with an excisively wide "third lane" even in parts of the road where there were no left turns possible, wider radius corner intersections, pancake flat elevation and ruler straight centerline.

With input from residents were campaigned HARD for as much undulation of elevation as possible (which is very effective in reducing speeds without the negatives of speed tables...), narrow radius corners (so that folks have to think about turning instead swishing around like a NASCAR oval...), centerline that gently drifts (so that drivers have to pay attention), centerlanes only where left turns make sense and there is need protected time to turn), and as much landscaped parkway as we could finagle...

Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 PM

curb extensions can do several things at once. they slow traffic by narrowing the
street while still allowing parking as well as beautifying the street. I think every
street should have them.

they shorten the crossing distance making it safer for pedestrians and cyclists to
cross. with seating they can act like little mini plazas and provide a
convenient rest area for pedestrians to take a break.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
I don't know the layout of your neighborhood, but in some areas I know selected streets that spilled onto major thoroughfares were blocked off, with only egress from those streets (right turn only) and no entrance. It makes getting to those homes more circuitous, but there's no through traffic and streets are much calmer to the enjoyment of the residents. Even though getting to their homes is more roundabout. Pedestrian traffic is of course unaffected. Less through traffic in turn calmed the block over, and the next blocks too.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
I'm a big fan of roundabouts. It keeps traffic flowing and there's no waiting at a red light for non existent side street traffic.

Regarding speed bumps: I ride a motorcycle a lot and unexpected speed bumps are never a good thing. I would hope there would be signs or other markings like painting them orange.

I do love it when there's the speed bump with the gap in the middle so I can drive through it.

Regarding street curbs: They are pretty but I'm not sure they would actually slow anyone down. Having less room in the intersection doesn't seem very safe to me.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:

Same thing happens often at those stupid mini-roundabout traffic circles things. I sure hope it is worth it to the supporters of these traffic hazards when somebody gets killed because of them.

BERKELEY: One dead after fatal early morning crash in East Bay | www.ktvu.com

Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Same thing happens often at those stupid mini-roundabout traffic circles things. I sure hope it is worth it to the supporters of these traffic hazards when somebody gets killed because of them.

BERKELEY: One dead after fatal early morning crash in East Bay | www.ktvu.com

and you conveniently left out the part where the driver was drunk driving and speeding at 1 o'clock in the morning. that guy was going to kill someone regardless of the kind of intersection it was. the roundabout had nothing to do with it. and that reporter was incompetent for jumping to conclusions before the investigation was completed.

Charges upgraded for driver in double-fatal crash in Berkeley | abc7news.com

BERKELEY, Calif -- The charges were upgraded today for a man who crashed his car into a traffic roundabout in Berkeley earlier this month, killing his girlfriend and her 6-year-old son.

Jose Lumbreras, 24, was charged last week with gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated for the death of 22-year-old Milanca Alicia Lopez and drunken driving causing injury for the wounds to her son Xavier Chevez, who became comatose after the crash and suffered paralysis...

Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
and you conveniently left out the part where the driver was drunk driving and speeding at 1 o'clock in the morning. that guy was going to kill someone regardless of the kind of intersection it was. the roundabout had nothing to do with it. and that reporter was incompetent for jumping to conclusions before the investigation was completed.
I didn't leave anything out. I just posted a link to the report. I'm not the reporter and I'm not defending the reporting.

Anyway, that information doesn't really surprise me. Usually when somebody runs into something at high speed at 1AM, there its a pretty good bet that they are DUI.

That doesn't change the fact that if the roundabout hadn't been there, two people would be alive today. Even at 65 mph that car would have breezed right through that intersection, and continued down the street, like nothing had happened.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Anyway, that information doesn't really surprise me. Usually when somebody runs into something at high speed at 1AM, there its a pretty good bet that they are DUI.

That doesn't change the fact that if the roundabout hadn't been there, two people would be alive today. Even at 65 mph that car would have breezed right through that intersection, and continued down the street, like nothing had happened.

Utterly absurd. If the driver wasn't drunk and speeding at 65mph...guess what... those two people would still be alive. Or if the young woman wasn't stupid enough to get into the car with a drunken boyfriend who had blood alcohol three times the legal limit...guess what...she and her child would still be alive. But trying to blame it on the intersection is disgusting.

If there was no roundabout and he ran through an ordinary 4 way intersection with a stop sign, without stopping, he would have broadsided another car and even more people would have been killed. But fortunately for other drivers on the road he only ran into a tree. Your attempt to defend drunk driving and speeding is truly vile and disgusting not to mention utterly moronic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning