U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times

Advertisements

Strangely, the M14 makes the list of top ten busiest city bus routes. Only the M15 is busier in Manhattan, for obvious reasons (densely populated corridor with a subway a bit of a hike away).

mta.info | Facts and Figures

I would have assumed it made the rank of "mostly pointless bus route" but apparently there's a market for it. Maybe some just don't like subways?

Scheduled speed of the M14 at rush hour is 4.7 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,719,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Who didn't know this was going to happen? Oh wait, lol...

Citi Bike in red, needs millions to survive | New York Post
Couple points:

•Citi Bike far surpassed expected ridership.
•Demand is enormous throughout the City. People want the new transportation mode.
•The problem is that although annual memberships far surpassed expectations, daily and weekly memberships have been less than expected.
•However, there are two events which have recently been revealed to put Citi Bike in the red: Sandy damage and the software dispute.
•Before anyone brings it up, De Blasio only stated that funding is not on the table at this time (not never). Makes perfect sense. The City Council wants to open the books. I expect eventual public funding in collaboration.

Cool charts:

I Quant NY - Mapping Citi Bike’s Riders, Not Just Rides

I Quant NY - Where’s the Most NYC Nightlife? Just ask Citi Bike.

I Quant NY - Citi Bike and the Gender Divide

[vimeo]89305412[/vimeo]
Citi Bike Rides: September 17th & 18th, 2013 on Vimeo

[vimeo]90782994[/vimeo]
Citi Bike Rides: August 24th, 2013 (Weekend edition) on Vimeo

BTW, the program is great IMO and I use it all the time. If i'm in the coverage area, I only use the subway to arrive or leave the general area. For all trips within I use Citi Bike. I can get cross town from 1st to 11th, all times of day (life saver late at night) in like 15 minutes max. Saved me a ton of cash since launch too (annual member). It has really taken off here and I can confidently say this program is here to stay.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

average traffic speed in Manhattan is currently under 8 mph with lights now. Less in Midtown. Bicycles are faster.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:44 AM

New York City's bike sharing system has done well usage-wise both considering just usage by itself and station density:

Why Aren’t American Bike-Share Systems Living Up to Their Potential? | Streetsblog USA

Old 11-25-2014, 08:58 AM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
You guys might find these two articles interesting:
Firm Buys Big Bike-Share Service; Expansion And Higher Rates Seen : The Two-Way : NPR
Study: Bike Deaths Up 16 Percent In Just Two Years : The Two-Way : NPR
Wear a helmet! Don't drink and bike!

Old 11-27-2014, 10:17 PM

14,056 posts, read 16,063,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I though the point of biking was so you could ride home drunk on your fixie (with no brakes, of course). Gotta stay skinny enough to fit in your pants somehow.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:00 AM

2,610 posts, read 3,759,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If 2/3 of bicyclists don't wear a helmet and 2/3 of fatalities didn't have one, that means helmets have no effect. I don't know whether 2/3 of all bicyclists don't wear a helmet, but a fair bit don't, I think it might be over 50% in Toronto.

But I think it's safe to say much less than 1/4 of cyclists are drunk so yes, that's not a good idea. Honestly, even walking drunk is not a very good idea.
Freakonomics The Perils of Drunk Walking: A New Marketplace Podcast
Get a ride, cab, take the bus or drink at home or of course just drink in moderation.

Last edited by memph; 11-28-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 01:00 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
If 2/3 of bicyclists don't wear a helmet and 2/3 of fatalities didn't have one, that means helmets have no effect. I don't know whether 2/3 of all bicyclists don't wear a helmet, but a fair bit don't, I think it might be over 50% in Toronto.

But I think it's safe to say much less than 1/4 of cyclists are drunk so yes, that's not a good idea. Honestly, even walking drunk is not a very good idea.
Freakonomics The Perils of Drunk Walking: A New Marketplace Podcast
Get a ride, cab, take the bus or drink at home or of course just drink in moderation.
Here's an article about bike helmets from a British perspective. It's not just us crazy American public health people who think they're a good idea.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...eing.transport

Here's some stuff from the US CDC. You can look up the footnotes if you want to read some nitty-gritty research.
http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Bicycle/
http://www.cdc.gov/bam/safety/helmets.html
"In three out of four bike crashes, bikers usually get some sort of injury to their head."

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-28-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or