U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,277,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Uh-oh. Could be a disaster waiting to happen…

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/wo...ikes.html?_r=0

$1050 is high for a bicycle. They look like cheap city bikes. Regardless, there should be a way to track who took a bike last, but the system must rely on the population having social decency. I guess we'll find out soon.
Biased anti-bike reporting? I don't expect anything less from the MSM that has the auto industry as their biggest advertisers.

The Paris system had early problems with poorly designed security that allowed bikes to be easily stolen. Capital Bikeshare in DC has 2 million annual trips with less than 1% loss rate from theft and damage so they don't have that problem. It's currently the largest most successful bikeshare in the US. Yet the MSM ignores that and chooses to focus exclusively on the problems half a world away in Paris instead of reporting on the successes at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 PM

87,113 posts, read 102,899,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Biased anti-bike reporting? I don't expect anything less from the MSM that has the auto industry as their biggest advertisers.

The Paris system had early problems with poorly designed security that allowed bikes to be easily stolen. Capital Bikeshare in DC has 2 million annual trips with less than 1% loss rate from theft and damage so they don't have that problem. It's currently the largest most successful bikeshare in the US. Yet the MSM ignores that and chooses to focus exclusively on the problems half a world away in Paris instead of reporting on the successes at home.
Boulder, Colorado also had a program that ended when most of the bikes ended up stolen.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,277,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Boulder, Colorado also had a program that ended when most of the bikes ended up stolen.

Huh? The Boulder Bcycle website says they are currently accepting memberships so I don't believe the program has ended. The bikes are also very high tech with GPS and RFID tracking technology, so good luck to whoever tries to steal them lol.

Welcome to Boulder B-cycle!

How does Boulder B-cycle work?
Boulder B-cycle relies on the integration of hardware and software to keep track of members and bikes, and all the interactions between users and bikes. Proprietary GPS and RFID technologies are employed to make the system smart and simple for users. All your ride data, such as distance, duration, calories burned, and carbon offset, will be captured and uploaded to your personal page at boulderbcycle.com.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:42 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,521,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
its specifically designed to not compete with traditional bike rentals (which would be unfair given use of public sidewalk space, and in DC, public funds). If you want a 2 hour ride, without an annual fee, there are private bike rental options.

The fixed fee works with the quick, free, short distance rides - which meshes well with the abundant distribution of stations.
Wow, really? That sucks. When we invented this system in Montreal, we definitely allowed cheap short term rentals. 7.50 for 24 hour use, and 15 dollars for 72 hour use. Only, there's a fees on top of that depending how long you ride before parking the bike again. The flexibility is great for tourists and casual city visitors. I wouldn't rent a bike, but Bixi was a superior service that offered something more. I guess you could say that it competes unfairly with bike rentals, but it's better for consumers and helps make the system more profitable for its owner, the city, whose space it's using anyways.

https://bixi.com/ride-with-bixi/functioning

Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 AM

14,101 posts, read 16,163,564 times
Quote:
Uh-oh. Could be a disaster waiting to happen…

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/wo...ikes.html?_r=0

$1050 is high for a bicycle. They look like cheap city bikes. Regardless, there should be a way to track who took a bike last, but the system must rely on the population having social decency. I guess we'll find out soon.

NYCHA (housing project) residents get a discount, $60 / year.
Paris seems to be unique in having as much vandalism as it does, most other bike sharing programs don't seem to have widespread vandalism. Of course, there will always be some. My main concern would be if there's a predominant if there's a large one-directional use pattern. People get on at location A and then ride to work/evening out at location B. You end up with no bikes at A and no place to park the bike at B within five or six blocks. You could fix that with more bikes at A and more parking at both, but that drives up cost and takes up room.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 AM

8,827 posts, read 10,747,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Wow, really? That sucks. When we invented this system in Montreal, we definitely allowed cheap short term rentals. 7.50 for 24 hour use, and 15 dollars for 72 hour use. Only, there's a fees on top of that depending how long you ride before parking the bike again. The flexibility is great for tourists and casual city visitors. I wouldn't rent a bike, but Bixi was a superior service that offered something more. I guess you could say that it competes unfairly with bike rentals, but it's better for consumers and helps make the system more profitable for its owner, the city, whose space it's using anyways.

https://bixi.com/ride-with-bixi/functioning

Same thing in DC. You can get a daily membership - the reason it doesnt compete with conventional bike rentals is because of the rising fee when you keep a bike longer than half an hour. If someone wants to go hopping around for a day, docking their bike every half hour, CaBi works. If they want to take a multi hour ride up one of our long trails, the conventional bike rental is much better.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 AM

8,827 posts, read 10,747,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Paris seems to be unique in having as much vandalism as it does, most other bike sharing programs don't seem to have widespread vandalism. Of course, there will always be some. My main concern would be if there's a predominant if there's a large one-directional use pattern. People get on at location A and then ride to work/evening out at location B. You end up with no bikes at A and no place to park the bike at B within five or six blocks. You could fix that with more bikes at A and more parking at both, but that drives up cost and takes up room.

it works best where there is balance - where the mix of workplaces and residences leads to bikes naturally balancing. They use vans to reposition bikes from surplus stations to shortage ones, but if you have to do too much of that it kills the economics. IIUC some systems have built in incentives in their charging to get more rides that rebalance - but we do not have that in DC.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Huh? The Boulder Bcycle website says they are currently accepting memberships so I don't believe the program has ended. The bikes are also very high tech with GPS and RFID tracking technology, so good luck to whoever tries to steal them lol.

Welcome to Boulder B-cycle!

How does Boulder B-cycle work?
Boulder B-cycle relies on the integration of hardware and software to keep track of members and bikes, and all the interactions between users and bikes. Proprietary GPS and RFID technologies are employed to make the system smart and simple for users. All your ride data, such as distance, duration, calories burned, and carbon offset, will be captured and uploaded to your personal page at boulderbcycle.com.
It was a prior program, not connected with B-cycle. (I knew someone was going to say this!)

Denver beats Boulder to public bike-share program - Colorado Daily

Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,180,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It was a prior program, not connected with B-cycle. (I knew someone was going to say this!)

Denver beats Boulder to public bike-share program - Colorado Daily
I guess they learned from the thefts?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I guess they learned from the thefts?
Yes, I don't think they required people to leave a form of ID such as a driver's license or credit card when they took a bike. IIRC, you just rode the bike wherever you wanted, and left it there for supposedly someone else to use. A lot ended up in people's garages, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or