U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:33 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
It's safer than you think. I know other Minnesota residents like you that have an unusual fear of Milwaukee.
I don't fear any city in a developed nation lol (;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,830,658 times
I was under the impression that New Orleans cultivated the "dangerous" feeling as part of its tourist appeal...

Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,015,477 times
I was thinking that just about anywhere near Utah??
Where's the list?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM

14,063 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
75% of Greater Philadelphians live outside the city. The decaying city neighborhoods are easy to avoid, but that's beside the point. According to this list you put so much stock in, Philly feels safer than safer than San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Nashville...
Actually, that is a good point. Belltown isn't exactly one of the easy neighborhoods to avoid in Seattle... I mean it is, but there's actually reasons to go to Belltown/Pioneer Square, both of which are plagued with crime. Not sure about Philly's decayed neighborhoods. Would the average Greater Philadelphian ever have any reason to go there? During the day Belltown/Pioneer Square isn't too bad aside form aggressive panhandling, enough on its own for most people to not feel safe, but if you spend any time there, you'll notice the boarded up windows and broken glass on the street, the shifty types hanging about in alleys even during the day. I had a nice view down one of those alleys at night from my window watching the competing uses of public restroom, drug deals, and prostitution.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Actually, that is a good point. Belltown isn't exactly one of the easy neighborhoods to avoid in Seattle... I mean it is, but there's actually reasons to go to Belltown/Pioneer Square, both of which are plagued with crime. Not sure about Philly's decayed neighborhoods. Would the average Greater Philadelphian ever have any reason to go there? During the day Belltown/Pioneer Square isn't too bad aside form aggressive panhandling, enough on its own for most people to not feel safe, but if you spend any time there, you'll notice the boarded up windows and broken glass on the street, the shifty types hanging about in alleys even during the day. I had a nice view down one of those alleys at night from my window watching the competing uses of public restroom, drug deals, and prostitution.
Belltown and Pioneer Square do have their shady types and activity (and the bro fights after the bars let out) but they are leagues less dangerous than a lot of Philadelphia (and Baltimore, for that matter).

In Baltimore anyway, sometimes biking through a less than stellar area is the only rational way to get to your destination ... but usually without incident. It's a perception thing, as well.

Last edited by HandsUpThumbsDown; 04-17-2013 at 09:40 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pioneer Square felt rather gritty for a downtown area, it felt a bit sketchy though I didn't realize it had serious crime issues. Walked alone through there a bit before 11 pm, it didn't seem that bad. San Francisco "wins" at having a sketchy downtown section with the Tenderloin, at least for cities with a healthy downtown.

A Philadelpian would have no reason to go to a decayed neighborhood, and Center City felt less sketchy than the areas of Seattle you mentioned. But there are some neighborhoods worth visiting near decayed neighborhoods. The transition is swift and the neighborhoods far worse than anything in Seattle. So there's a slight danger of bumbling into something really bad if you're not careful.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 AM

14,063 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Belltown and Pioneer Square do have their shady types and activity (and the bro fights after the bars let out) but they are leagues less dangerous than a lot of Philadelphia (and Baltimore, for that matter).

In Baltimore anyway, sometimes biking through a less than stellar area is the only rational way to get to your destination ... but usually without incident. It's a perception thing, as well.
Yeah, I don't doubt that. Merely mentioning that in my view, there's little reason to go into those neighborhoods of Philadelphia or Baltimore so they're not likely to weigh very highly on people's "does it feel safe" radar. Downtown Seattle has a lot of property crime, but isn't really particularly dangerous at all. Most of the violent crime is bar fights getting out of hand, and with the concentration of bars in Belltown it has its share of those.

Quote:
Pioneer Square felt rather gritty for a downtown area, it felt a bit sketchy though I didn't realize it had serious crime issues. Walked alone through there a bit before 11 pm, it didn't seem that bad. San Francisco "wins" at having a sketchy downtown section with the Tenderloin, at least for cities with a healthy downtown.

A Philadelpian would have no reason to go to a decayed neighborhood, and Center City felt less sketchy than the areas of Seattle you mentioned. But there are some neighborhoods worth visiting near decayed neighborhoods. The transition is swift and the neighborhoods far worse than anything in Seattle. So there's a slight danger of bumbling into something really bad if you're not careful.
But compare Pioneer Square to say Bellevue at 11 p.m. Yikes!

Having lived, albeit briefly, in both the Tenderloin and Belltown, yeah, they're not really that comparable. Just talking about San Francisco, it's sort of like Tenderloin's reputation versus Bayview/Hunters Point. The Tenderloin has the perception of being omfg while BV/HP is sort of a no one goes there type of area. They have similar populations, and the 'Loin gets massive traffic through it because of its amenities (abundance of cheap restaurants, bars, clubs, entertainment, proximity to DT/Union Square). And BV/HP still historically has about twice the homicide rate.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM

275 posts, read 397,992 times
Downtown Denver is safe.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:02 PM

4,940 posts, read 7,596,851 times
Whatever- they all have more crime than San Diego, Minneapolis twice as much! There is not a place in this city that I don't feel safe walking around at night, certainly not in my neighborhood adjacent downtown. Crime can happen anywhere but perceptions should be based on facts.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 AM

90 posts, read 76,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Minneapolis is the safest "feeling" city in the country, followed by (drum roll) Denver!
No on both counts. Though the murder rate has fallen since, Minneapolis was nicknamed "Murderapolis" in the 90s by the NYT. They had I believe 90 murders in one year. And this is just in city limits (under 400,000 people). Even now, they have more than 10 murders per 100,000 some years.

Denver has fairly high per capita crime rates itself. It's CD crime index is well above the U.S. average last I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or