U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,149,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
(Because Google finally expanded their coverage of some Ohio cities, I'll probably post a lot of these, in the future. )
They've expanded their coverage of some of Massachusetts. I'm on google streetview now, not telling where. So is my street parked car!

Quote:
For anyone interested, this is a section of Youngstown that was never developed, although infrastructure was laid out during the 50s, in anticipation of further development.
Odd. You can tell the streets were laid in some sorta plan but much of it is woods. Nice natural spot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,679,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They've expanded their coverage of some of Massachusetts. I'm on google streetview now, not telling where. So is my street parked car!
Ha! So am I, somewhere in Youngstown.

Quote:
Odd. You can tell the streets were laid in some sorta plan but much of it is
woods. Nice natural spot?
Are you asking? Because, while it might be nice most of the time--if you're into the rural living thing, you might wake up one morning to find a pile of garbage at the edge of your property. Some unscrupulous people will clean out a house or apartment, and dump the garbage in these secluded areas, instead of paying to dispose of it properly at a landfill. The city is trying to combat this with hidden surveillance cameras in the most common dumping areas, though.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:43 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,011,905 times
At best, I think we would end up with a gradation from hyper-urban (Hong Kong) to emptiness (most of Nevada), eg, the urban-rural transects. Defining urban and suburban seems an exercise is futility. One is always defined as not the other, and always as a comparison of one example place to another.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
At best, I think we would end up with a gradation from hyper-urban (Hong Kong) to emptiness (most of Nevada), eg, the urban-rural transects. Defining urban and suburban seems an exercise is futility. One is always defined as not the other, and always as a comparison of one example place to another.
Agreed, though at some point a place would be obviously urban, though it would end getting based on background. For the NYC metro, I defined 4 levels:

Quote:
By density, it looks the NYC metro could be divided this way:

I) Manhattan, blocks of 5-6 story buildings with no setback, often with mid-rise buildings mixed in. Some neighborhoods have high rises as well. A road lined with stores on the first floor of these buildings are almost always within 1-2 blocks away. Parts of the West Bronx is at a similar density.

II) Outer Borough subway neighborhoods. Mostly from 40,000 - 75,000 people per square mile, much of the building stock is attached 3-4 story attached homes with some higher (see above) and lower density housing mixed in.

III) Outer borough neighborhoods away from the subway. Lower density sections aren't too different from older inner-ring suburbs and are often thought as "suburban", especially by those living in parts I & II. Much of it is detached homes, but still denser and with more apartment buildings and attached homes than developments further out. Only transit is buses and low frequency commuter rail, but still has high transit usage for American standards.

IV) Newer, lower density suburbia, almost all outside the city limits. Detached homes have larger lots than (III), many older suburbs belong with (III).
While it's soley by density, the breaks between each group feel a bit obvious., though the lower end of III is a bit ambiguous.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,626,395 times
perfect analysis...

Old 08-14-2013, 10:20 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,011,905 times
What we need is a "hot or not" for the urban and suburban neighborhoods: see two random photos and decide which is more urban.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 AM

56,967 posts, read 81,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
What we need is a "hot or not" for the urban and suburban neighborhoods: see two random photos and decide which is more urban.
What about this: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=kenmo...156.13,,0,9.91

vs. this: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=roche...,48.83,,0,6.65

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM

22,347 posts, read 32,259,232 times
both look sort of in the middle to me, like street car suburbs if you will

Rochester has some pretty cool housing stock based on a quick perusal of your links, good stuff

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM

I'd go with the Kenmore neighborhood. Upstate cities are harder to judge than downstate NY, the difference in types is more subtle.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 AM

56,967 posts, read 81,305,553 times
Quote:
I'd go with the Kenmore neighborhood. Upstate cities are harder to judge than downstate NY, the difference in types is more subtle.
Interesting and I did this on purpose. Kenmore is actually a suburban village adjacent to Buffalo. It is 1.4 square miles, but has over 15,000 people. That puts it in the top 100 for municipality density in the US.

That Rochester neighborhood is in or close to the East Avenue or Park Avenue neighborhoods just SE of Downtown Rochester.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-15-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or