Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Boston and DC seem to be along a similar donut hole path as San Francisco. They also have 1/5-1/6 of their metro's populations. From what I can tell, San Francisco has decent schools, at least as big city school districts go.
With a declining student population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
With a declining student population.
That is true, but that doesn't mean that the decline is from bad schools. Much of San Francisco is just a bad deal price-wise. A childless couple might be fine with a one bedroom or small two bedroom, but a family with kids will want more space, which will be extra $$ in San Francisco over a similar size housing elsewhere in the region.

It looks like San Francisco schools are about equally Asian and Hispanic, with a little over 10% of white and black kids each.

http://www.kidsdata.org/data/topic/t...ment-race.aspx

Perhaps a Californian could give more details.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
That is true, but that doesn't mean that the decline is from bad schools. Much of San Francisco is just a bad deal price-wise. A childless couple might be fine with a one bedroom or small two bedroom, but a family with kids will want more space, which will be extra $$ in San Francisco over a similar size housing elsewhere in the region.
I'd say, that doesn't necessarily mean the decline is from bad schools. There are a lot of factors, for sure, in a decision of where to locate. However, a "bad schools" rep is a sure deal-breaker for lots of people. You see that on the city forums.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
For school purposes, attracting the very wealthy may be less than ideal, as the very wealthy will send their kids to private school rather than deal with the public schools.
Upper East Side wealthy, sure, but many "conventionally" upper middle/lower upper class families earning in the mid sixes, while they could theoretically afford to drop $30k per year per child on fancy private schools, would much rather save the money for their kids' college funds, retirement, a vacation home, and other longer-term investments. Hell, even if I were to someday be earning in the millions, that just seems like a waste to me. I think a lot of urban enthusiasts fitting that demographic profile would send their kids to inner city public schools if they felt they "could." It's very much a chicken/egg problem. A couple Philly K-8 catchments have become objectively "good" through concerted parental efforts. It's really a matter of getting a critical mass of parents willing to use their children as "Guinea pigs."

In general though, I do see class divides in cities getting worse before they get better. Philly is becoming both more upper middle/upper class AND poor. Our conventionally middle class population has been leaking out to the suburbs for decades.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-26-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Man, we do have some expensive prep schools here but the catholic schools really aren't that expensive. Maybe our archdiocese is especially wealthy or something.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Man, we do have some expensive prep schools here but the catholic schools really aren't that expensive. Maybe our archdiocese is especially wealthy or something.
Catholic/truly parochial schools tend to be more affordable across the board. I'd have zero interest sending my kids to a Jewish day school though, much less a Catholic one.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:15 AM

There is a discussion about private vs public schools taking place on P&OC right now.

Liberals, in general, why are private schools better than public schools?

In my area, the public suburban high schools are better than the Catholic schools, although that of course doesn't mean anything to any one student.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:15 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Catholic/truly parochial schools tend to be more affordable across the board. I'd have zero interest sending my kids to a Jewish day school though, much less a Catholic one.
Me neither. Nuns terrify me. Luckily we have lots of good and unique public options here.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is a discussion about private vs public schools taking place on P&OC right now.

Liberals, in general, why are private schools better than public schools?

In my area, the public suburban high schools are better than the Catholic schools, although that of course doesn't mean anything to any one student.
It really depends on what part of the country you're in, in conjunction with your socioeconomic surroundings. The Catholic schools where I'm from aren't any better than many suburban school districts either. The only truly top-shelf private schools are the ones that cost in the $20ks-plus, and these aren't better enough to be worth the cost IMO. Where I am, the "benefit" of private schools for families living in otherwise good to excellent districts is the values they teach and/or the peer groups who attend.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Me neither. Nuns terrify me. Luckily we have lots of good and unique public options here.
I was amused in the conversation I had with this girl that she hated Catholic school so much she'd rather go to a bad public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning