Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine7090 View Post
I never lived in one but i due drive the the city of Bangor ME often.
Quite a metropolis.

*chortle*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Since your experience is exclusively in rural Maine why do you think your opinion on cities outweighs...you know...all of us who have freely chosen to live in them?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Quite a metropolis.

*chortle*
I see parking!

bangor,me - Google Maps

Old 04-25-2013, 02:16 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,553,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To answer the thread title question-improve their schools! Now granted, I am not an educator and I don't know exactly how one does this, but the cities will never get people with kids to stay there, despite all sorts of frou-frou shops, light rail, theater, bars (always bars), music, etc, if the schools suck.

yeah, thats why houses are just going begging in DC. Sure. There arent young professional couples living in 1 BRs or studios - there arent college grads living in basement apartments. Cause the shops and music stuff just wont get enough people there. Right.

Why are you so hung up on bars, BTW? some city neighborhoods have them, some don't the ones with the highest concentrations of bars around here, tend to get young people who drive in from the suburbs to use them. Suburbanites are known to have problems with alcohol -whether they drive downtown to drink, drink at a TGIF's at the mall, or keep something at home.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:

a small city and economically weak (?) city like Bangor may well need to do more to accommodate the automobile. the circumstances are somewhat different in strong cities, and in large ones.

In cities that are large, AND are economically strong - like NYC, DC, SF, Boston, - and to a lesser degree several others - the situation is more or less exactly opposite.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
yeah, thats why houses are just going begging in DC. Sure. There arent young professional couples living in 1 BRs or studios - there arent college grads living in basement apartments. Cause the shops and music stuff just wont get enough people there. Right.

Why are you so hung up on bars, BTW? some city neighborhoods have them, some don't the ones with the highest concentrations of bars around here, tend to get young people who drive in from the suburbs to use them. Suburbanites are known to have problems with alcohol -whether they drive downtown to drink, drink at a TGIF's at the mall, or keep something at home.
We have discussed this education issue before. I still think it's the major problem cities have. People leave "the city" for the burbs when their kids get to be school age. I posted an article about how the statisitcs bear this out in Denver, but no one was interested in it. Your young college grads living in basements won't want that for their kids.

I'm not the one hung up on bars. For a while, most every urban-lover on this forum gave access to bars as one of the major advantages of living in a city. It was a joke on here for a while. Virtually all city neighborhoods have bars; at least, I've never lived in one or visited one that didn't have one to several bars. Most suburban neighborhoods have bars as well.

Why do you make all your posts in response to me so personal and nasty, BTW? Please answer; I'm dying to know.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:29 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
We have discussed this education issue before. I still think it's the major problem cities have. People leave "the city" for the burbs when their kids get to be school age. I posted an article about how the statistics bear this out in Denver, but no one was interested in it. Your young college grads living in basements won't want that for their kids.
Some of them won't have kids at all. Some of them won't have kids until they are in their 40s, and thus will pay into city tax rolls for a good two decades yet. Some will go the private school route. And in plenty of cities there are acceptable options within the public schools. But unless a city entirely pushes out its poor population into the suburbs, there's no way that city schools as a whole will be as good as suburban schools within the same region.

Quote:
I'm not the one hung up on bars. For a while, most every urban-lover on this forum gave access to bars as one of the major advantages of living in a city. It was a joke on here for a while. Virtually all city neighborhoods have bars; at least, I've never lived in one or visited one that didn't have one to several bars. Most suburban neighborhoods have bars as well.
I've actually grown tired of how bars are proliferating in my neighborhood. I mean, it's cool to see more and more vacant storefonts in use, but 90% of the new restaurants opening up in our neighborhood either explicitly ban kids or are places which really frown on you taking your child in. And we're far from the only people with small kids in our neighborhood. I know of at least four non-yinzer couples within two blocks of me. I don't understand why they keep chasing that demographic, and no one is catering to parents who want a slightly more family-friendly option (there are plenty in our city, just not in my neighborhood).

Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know of at least four non-yinzer couples within two blocks of me. I don't understand why they keep chasing that demographic, and no one is catering to parents who want a slightly more family-friendly option (there are plenty in our city, just not in my neighborhood).
They will ... gentrified neighborhoods grow up with their inhabitants. Canton, Baltimore still has plenty of bars but there are strollers and mom-shops popping up left and right.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
We have discussed this education issue before. I still think it's the major problem cities have. People leave "the city" for the burbs when their kids get to be school age. I posted an article about how the statisitcs bear this out in Denver, but no one was interested in it. Your young college grads living in basements won't want that for their kids. .

At this point between the young college grads, slightly older singles, couples with no kids, couples whose kids are not yet old enough for public school, empty nesters, and professional couples who have managed to find a good place for their kids in DCPS, housing in about half of DC is outrageously expensive (and that area keeps growing, as more neighborhoods transition). Saying 'the city' needs better schools to SURVIVE is like saying Chateau Lafitte might have a wider market if it were a white wine. I mean maybe it would, but seeing as I can't afford it anyway, its kind of infuriating to ask how it can be made more desirable.

Quote:
Why do you make all your posts in response to me so personal and nasty, BTW? Please answer; I'm dying to know.
The content of the post I responded to should give a fair idea of what bothered me. I think there's an implication that people who like cities are overly concerned with bars.

They happen to be ONE amenity. They are more common in reviving city neighborhoods for a few reasons - they are more popular with people in the age range that most lives in those areas - and while for many services an area with relatively difficult parking is a disadvantage, for a bar an area where you can walk home is a particularly big advantage. I don't see thats so confusing.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Quite a metropolis.

*chortle*
"Bangor? Let me face the peril..."

"No, it's too perilous"

Apologies to Monty Python...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning