Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 AM

17 posts, read 118,112 times

Advertisements

I think the number one thing citys need to do is rebuild themselves around the automobile. They should make it easy for people live, work and travel to the city with their car as the primary source of transport. Many buildings should be demolished to make room for parking. If there is room for a bike lane there is room for another lane of traffic, so bike lanes need to go since biking has no room as transportation is a first world nation anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:31 AM

23,113 posts, read 28,848,059 times
Too many guesses!!! OP is a car salesman! OP works in an automobile manufacturing plant? OP is a police officer and hasn't been giving out enough traffic fines lately? OP is a personal injury attorney? OP is a chiropractor who deals with car accident victims? OP is a tow truck operator? OP is in the auto repair business? OP is in the auto body repair business? Op designs cars for Ford or GM?

Civilization is increasingly returning to our cities and they will survive quite comfortably with fewer and fewer cars!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:42 AM

21,678 posts, read 24,861,050 times
Or sarcasm?

On its face, it's no more ridiculous than the anti-car diatribes you see from people who are convinced that cities are built for cars and not for people. When you get above a certain density, it's really not efficient to have everyone driving everywhere. Especially with older cities that were built before the car, it can be exceedingly difficult and probably impossible to make them work well in a cars-only model. Imagine Manhattan if everyone tried to get around by car. Yikes!

Most cities use cars as cash cows. The fees they charge for parking (taxes), tolls, congestion charges, etc, make driving less attractive while the fees collected are used to subsidize transportation making it more attractive. That works pretty well for relatively healthy cities where there's demand for businesses that want to be there. For someplace that has succeeded in driving off most of its residents and businesses to the suburbs, catering more to drives would make sense. If you're trying to attract employers back from the suburbs (or new ones from opening there) who have workforces that live in suburbs with little transit, being accessible by car would be important. If you're trying to attract residents who work in the suburbs back to the cities, same thing.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-25-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,461,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine7090 View Post
I think the number one thing citys need to do is rebuild themselves around the automobile. They should make it easy for people live, work and travel to the city with their car as the primary source of transport. Many buildings should be demolished to make room for parking. If there is room for a bike lane there is room for another lane of traffic, so bike lanes need to go since biking has no room as transportation is a first world nation anyway.
I think this is a troll post.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Too many guesses!!! OP is a car salesman! OP works in an automobile manufacturing plant? OP is a police officer and hasn't been giving out enough traffic fines lately? OP is a personal injury attorney? OP is a chiropractor who deals with car accident victims? OP is a tow truck operator? OP is in the auto repair business? OP is in the auto body repair business? Op designs cars for Ford or GM?

Civilization is increasingly returning to our cities and they will survive quite comfortably with fewer and fewer cars!
I believe cities that pursue fewer cars, in most cases will just end up with fewer people and have a disproportional large poor population per capita that will flock to a place with good public transport and sap the cities resources. People will find it hard to travel to the city from the suburbs making it less desirable to do business there causing the city even more harm.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,910,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine7090 View Post
I believe cities that pursue fewer cars, in most cases will just end up with fewer people and have a disproportional large poor population per capita that will flock to a place with good public transport and sap the cities resources. People will find it hard to travel to the city from the suburbs making it less desirable to do business there causing the city even more harm.
And your experience living in cities is?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,582,961 times
Firdt as to why mnay moved to cities i the first palce.the inductrial revoltion and what it broght in jobs .Thatwas a funstion of energy and tr4anport to make it possible. once WWII had ended it started to change to where one ould live outside the city and work and now we see industry movign outside because that ius where the workers they want are and its cheaper.e built waht was nweeded then and now isn't bascially.Some will always prefer c urban life and other will not as they can afford it. urban life is now quite expensive in fact at levels most want to live in those urban areas.We see much the same thing where living i huge urban concentrations is more about workig and what it brings verus rual and what it lacks.With huge boomers retring for nest deacde or a so urban fling will become a worse problem because they are not tied to job market anymore.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:20 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
To answer the thread title question-improve their schools! Now granted, I am not an educator and I don't know exactly how one does this, but the cities will never get people with kids to stay there, despite all sorts of frou-frou shops, light rail, theater, bars (always bars), music, etc, if the schools suck.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,788,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Joel Kotkin?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
And your experience living in cities is?

I never lived in one but i due drive the the city of Bangor ME often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning