U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,816,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
And Angelenos rioted in the streets over this injustice!
Angelenos riot in the streets when there's a shortage of vanilla ice cream. It's tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
All reading time is wasted by driving a car!
Two words: audio books.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,003,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Two words: audio books.
The brain can't do two higher functions at once. It can't even kinda do two of those at once. So, it splits attention between the two. If you're driving, you're not paying attention to the audio book except when you're not paying attention to driving.

The snark, then, is subdued by science.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
The brain can't do two higher functions at once. It can't even kinda do two of those at once. So, it splits attention between the two. If you're driving, you're not paying attention to the audio book except when you're not paying attention to driving.

The snark, then, is subdued by science.
So then we should not listen to the radio or CDs or whatever in any form when we drive?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So then we should not listen to the radio or CDs or whatever in any form when we drive?
My parents told me that when I was first learning to drive.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And do you follow that now? Did you ever?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
And do you follow that now?
Umm, no.

Quote:
Did you ever?
Not if I could help it.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,003,828 times
Quote:
I was saying there's no value in listening to an audio book while driving, as we can't give it the same attention as if we were only listening to it or reading a book at home. Listening to an audio book is very different (for the brain) from listening to music via CD or radio

Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
When my kids were learning to drive, I believe the driver's ed teachers recommended not fiddling with the radio/CD player when driving. When my oldest was about 16, a CU professor who was riding a bike was hit and killed by a teen who was doing just that. I pointed out the object lesson to my daughter, who was not impressed (of course). Even now, DH and I will turn off the radio when we're driving if the traffic gets heavy and we need to concentrate heavily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
I was saying there's no value in listening to an audio book while driving, as we can't give it the same attention as if we were only listening to it or reading a book at home. Listening to an audio book is very different (for the brain) from listening to music via CD or radio
Are you a neuroscientist?

We used to drive from Denver to Pittsburgh, 1500 miles, across the great plains and the midwest. There are many areas of that drive where it's hard to find a decent radio station, and one gets tired of listening to the same old tapes/CDs, etc. So we'd check out audio books from the library. Now we weren't listenting to "War and Peace" or "Einstein's Theory of Relativity", these were kind of "fluff" books. I can remember one murder mystery that came to a climax with a big shoot-out just as we were driving past the Pittsburgh airport. To this day, I associate that airport with the shootout, and this was at least 15 years ago.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,816,131 times
The good news, and the bad news, is you don't even need to pay attention at all when driving. You can do it completely automatically. It is also possible, despite pop-psy articles stating otherwise, to divide your attention between multiple things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning