U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times

Advertisements

I guess singing to the radio is out, too, then, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Not really, not in the case of driving. If you're paying attention to driving, which we should all do in any situation, then you're not paying attention to the book on tape. If you're really listening to the book on tape, such that you can actually remember and reflect upon it's details, then you're not paying attention to driving.

Sometimes driving doesn't demand our full attention (long trips, stop-and-go traffic) because the brain gets bored. Even in normal commuting, driving can be so calm as to allow us to switch between tasks (eg, radio, audiobook) without an automatic accident. Clearly, I'm not saying you cannot nor have not really gotten in to an audiobook while driving. I am saying, however, that if you have, you weren't attending to driving at the same time because the brain literally does not have that capacity.
Where is your neuroscience degree from again?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM

13,732 posts, read 9,843,323 times
Yup - buses are always cheaper than rail - especially when subsidized !

When Streetcars Roamed Fort Worth | FWTX.com
As the FWTC abandoned the old lines, the city was forced into subsidizing privately owned bus companies. Part of the city’s “bail-out” included subsidizing daily operations so that the bus operators could keep fares at 5˘.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Are tapes going to be adopted by hipsters like records? The hiss and rewind mechanism will provide a more authentic listening experience?
Probably. Milkmen have already reappeared in gentrified urban nabes across the country.

Modern-Day Milk Men Deliver in Manhattan - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

South Mountain Creamery - Online Home Delivery Milk, Dairy, Eggs & Meals in Maryland

Some even wear the white uniform complete with the hat.

"Hi, Mr. Wilson!"

"Hi there, Timmy. Got some fresh milk for ya!"

"Gee whiz. That's swell! Thanks, Mr. Wilson!"

If we're going to bring stuff back for nostalgia's sake, can we bring back the old Pizza Hut? It used to have a salad and pasta bar that was pretty good. Now it just tastes disgusting.

I have to admit that I wasn't complaining when they brought back Teddy Ruxpin for the hipster crowd.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,107,696 times
Tapes are already cool with the hipsters. I'm not even joking.

I get records being cool, and really at this point everyone is into them again (not just hipsters). Tapes? I don't get it.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,099,778 times
South Mountain also delivers in its local area - which is anything but hipster, but pretty rural. They come to our farmers market too.

You sure like pigeonholing people, huh?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,107,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
South Mountain also delivers in its local area - which is anything but hipster, but pretty rural. They come to our farmers market too.

You sure like pigeonholing people, huh?
Last time I checked, most hipsters are way too young to ever have had milk delivered to their door.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,099,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Last time I checked, most hipsters are way too young to ever have had milk delivered to their door.
I'm in my 30s, we had it delivered when I was young. Then again hipsters can't be in their 30s, so there ya go.

I'm so sick of the word "hipster" and all its connotations. I've been hearing it 10 years now and its as stupid as ever.

"Hipster" is soooo over.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Most hipsters are also way too young to have ever ridden a streetcar. Or to have ever used a camera from the 1800s. Or to have ever witnessed Jack Dempsey style pugilism.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
I'm in my 20s and I've seen milk delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning