U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,910,543 times

Advertisements

Does the removal of a highway within a city have more pros or more cons? There have been discussions here in Syracuse about removing a section of I-81 that separates the University Hill neighborhood from Downtown Syracuse due to the life of that portion of the highway. Just to give an idea of what is going on and what the area looks like, here is some information: I-81 : Home Page

A City Faces Its 'Berlin Wall': An Interstate Highway : NPR

Syracuse Looks to Highway Removal to Revive Downtown Economy | Streetsblog Capitol Hill

Google Maps Street View

Welcome to University Hill!

Downtown Syracuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Urban Direction Blog: Is Removing I-95 a Possibility?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 PM

12,421 posts, read 11,926,143 times
It's ugly, but I've seen worse. Hell, the intersection of 81 and 690 looks far worse in Syracuse on Street View.

In Pittsburgh, this section of 579 is generally considered the worst in terms of urban impact. Once one working-class white neighborhood, the section west of the highway (towards downtown) is seeing pretty strong gentrification, while the section east of the highway is around 50% vacant lots, and continues to decay.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM

It is good to see cities looking to reconnect aspects that have been separated by highways.

I agree that the 81/690 interchange is crazy in terms of set up and upkeep. 690 was built on a railroad right of way and was completed in 1969 or so. I think a big issue is how it could effect traffic into the middle of the city, as many commute from the Northern suburbs and the biggest employers in the area are on University Hill(38% of the area's employment is within 0-3 miles of the CBD). So, I'm wondering if other cities have had to deal with this issue and what the best scenario is.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,859,209 times
I don’t think you can have any general rule about it. It depends on a lot of factors. Are there alternative routes? Is the freeway oversized or over kill for the situation? How long a section are you talking about removing? 1.4 miles worth of freeway isn’t going to have near the impact of 14 miles worth. From the look of that picture I rather doubt it is needed...for a day time shoot not much traffic but from the look of the map it looks like getting rid of it is going to cause problems(i.e. I don’t see many alternatives south and it connects other freeways in the area.) . A smartly done boulevard might work.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:42 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,034,245 times
That freeway in Syracuse looks like the only route going north and south and removing it would probably cause a lot of problems unless another bypass was constructed. It looks like West Street would have been the likely road for a bypass connecting to I-81 but it'd obviously cut off the southwestern neighborhoods.

Another alternative would be to sink I-81 and put a cap over it. Though obviously that's more expensive than simply removing it and probably the same if not more than creating a new bypass altogether.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM

From what has been discussed, it appears that the traffic that would go through the city would take I-481, which goes east of the city, while those that would come into the city for work or to go Downtown could take the potential boulevard or could get off at the Salina, Clinton, Franklin or West Street exits. Getting on Adams and taking a left from one of those streets could take you the 3 hospitals and Syracuse University on University Hill. I-81 Syracuse, nY - Google Maps

Good point about West Street and it is interesting, as the adjacent neighborhood to the west of it is slowly, but surely gentrifying itself through this initiative: SALT District of the Near Westside | Syracuse, Art, Life, and Technology So, hopefully, West Street doesn't become another barrier.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,002,016 times
Same for New Orleans. The i-10 runs over what was Claiborne Ave.
The overpass is outdated and needs to be demolished or replaced, it will likely come to pass that I-10 no longer passes through downtown and i-610 will become i-10.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,721,527 times
Depends on the situation.

In NYC, the Sheridan Expressway in the Bronx should be replaced with a Blvd. The Cross Bronx Should be capped where possible. The South portion of the West Side Highway Replacement project is an example of what could replace the Sheridan. I also read an article not long ago about capping a portion of the BQE near Brooklyn Heights.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Same for New Orleans. The i-10 runs over what was Claiborne Ave.
The overpass is outdated and needs to be demolished or replaced, it will likely come to pass that I-10 no longer passes through downtown and i-610 will become i-10.
I-10 from the parish line will likely become I-49 as well.

In Baton Rouge we have I-110 which will be 60 next year, and still features left side exits. Would like for it to come down and a proper boulevard be built in it's place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or