Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please only pick 4
Atlanta Braves 2 25.00%
Washington Nationals 1 12.50%
Philadelphia Phillies 2 25.00%
New York Mets 1 12.50%
Miami Marlins 2 25.00%
St. Louis Cardinals 5 62.50%
Cincinnati Reds 2 25.00%
Pittsburgh Pirates 4 50.00%
Milwaukee Brewers 2 25.00%
Chicago Cubs 6 75.00%
San Francisco Giants 5 62.50%
Arizona Diamondbacks 2 25.00%
Colorado Rockies 3 37.50%
San Diego Padres 3 37.50%
Los Angeles Dodgers 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times

Advertisements

A couple of quick notes:

1. The links work well in Google Chrome.
2. While not perfect, the hyperlapse is pretty good.
3. Once loaded you can move around the crosshair and look in any direction.
4. Don't cross compare stadiums. It's AL vs AL and NL vs NL
5. Finally, we're on the honor system here, so please only pick 4 stadiums

This is not a thread about baseball teams. This is a thread about the buildings that house the teams and where those stadiums are located. This is, after all, an Urban Planning forum.

Which stadiums (and their locations) are the most appealing to you? Which stadiums would you like to go watch a game? Which stadiums are in an area that is appealing to you? Which stadium areas would you like to just hang out, people watch, take a walk, etc.? Which stadiums would benefit from being relocated to a different area?

This poll will be open through the regular season, after that there will be a "playoff" and eventually a "World Series" to determine the "best" stadium location.

Here you go:

Atlanta Braves
Google Street View Hyperlapse

Washington Nationals

Philadelphia Phillies

New York Mets

Miami Marlins

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

Pittsburgh Pirates

Milwaukee Brewers

Chicago Cubs

San Francisco Giants

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Dodgers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 04:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
San Diego has a pretty great stadium location, right next to a LRT line and the Gaslamp Quarter and very close to the harbor. I was in the area last month just hanging out and there was a game going on, lots of people that were obviously going to a ball game walking around the Gaslamp Quarter.

San Francisco has a great location too and AT&T Park is pretty lauded as an urban stadium. Probably the best NL stadium

Dodger Stadium is in an amazing natural location and is one of the most iconic stadiums. However it is not a park you can walk to as it is at the top of a hill within Elysian Park. One bonus is that it is surrounded by a huge park so there is plenty of space for tailgating. Taking transit to the stadium is not difficult and there is a shuttle from Union Station. I think it is every transit-loving Angeleno's dream that eventually a Gold Line connector is built from the Chinatown Station. Driving to and from the stadium is a PITA because there are only two entrances / exits to and from the park - it is part of the reason Angelenos have a reputation for leaving early and arriving late to the game. Also they seriously blew it by building the stadium so the seating faces away from DTLA (of course when it was built DTLA was not much to look at and skyline-less).

Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
...Dodger Stadium is in an amazing natural location and is one of the most iconic stadiums. However it is not a park you can walk to as it is at the top of a hill within Elysian Park. One bonus is that it is surrounded by a huge park so there is plenty of space for tailgating. Taking transit to the stadium is not difficult and there is a shuttle from Union Station. I think it is every transit-loving Angeleno's dream that eventually a Gold Line connector is built from the Chinatown Station. Driving to and from the stadium is a PITA because there are only two entrances / exits to and from the park - it is part of the reason Angelenos have a reputation for leaving early and arriving late to the game. Also they seriously blew it by building the stadium so the seating faces away from DTLA (of course when it was built DTLA was not much to look at and skyline-less).
I was blown away. Absolutely astounded when I first looked at Dodger Stadium on Google maps.
Dodger Stadium - Google Maps

It looks like you need to bring a gallon of water per person and at least two meals to park in the outer reaches of that parking lot and then walk to the stadium.

For comparison, this is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the largest sporting venue in the WORLD, seating over 250,000 people in the stands alone, not to mention all the people that can sit/stand in the infield. The track is 2.5 miles around with 4 golf holes inside the speedway:
Indianapolis Motor Speedway, West 16th Street, Indianapolis, IN - Google Maps

Is land value so low in Los Angeles that they can build a parking lot larger than Disney's ENTIRE Hollywood Studios are/parking?:
Disney World - Google Maps

EDIT: Also to the same scale, here's Wrigley Field:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wrigle...ley+Field&z=16

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I was blown away. Absolutely astounded when I first looked at Dodger Stadium on Google maps.

It looks like you need to bring a gallon of water per person and at least two meals to park in the outer reaches of that parking lot and then walk to the stadium.

For comparison, this is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the largest sporting venue in the WORLD, seating over 250,000 people in the stands alone, not to mention all the people that can sit/stand in the infield. The track is 2.5 miles around with 4 golf holes inside the speedway:

Is land value so low in Los Angeles that they can build a parking lot larger than Disney's ENTIRE Hollywood Studios are/parking?:
Um, no. In fact those parking lots are a huge cash-cow for the former owner of the Dodgers, Frank McCourt.

I believe there are plans to redevelop the lots, they just have to wrest ownership from McCourt. Also there are rumors that the NFL wants to have a Los Angeles team play in Elysian Park (moving the Dodgers to the Farmer's Field site in South Park).

Old 05-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Um, no. In fact those parking lots are a huge cash-cow for the former owner of the Dodgers, Frank McCourt.

I believe there are plans to redevelop the lots, they just have to wrest ownership from McCourt. Also there are rumors that the NFL wants to have a Los Angeles team play in Elysian Park (moving the Dodgers to the Farmer's Field site in South Park).
I'm glad they're a cash cow for the former owner... but how does that make it a good stadium for Urban Planning?

Or better yet, how does it benefit Los Angeles, The City by eating up dozens of acres of land?

EDIT: I'm thinking LA is going to lose horribly in this poll. Looking at the space that stadium occupies, how it is used, and how large Los Angeles is, why do people take the stance that, "Nuh-uh! LA is sooooooo hella walkable" when people point out the city was designed for cars?

Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I'm glad they're a cash cow for the former owner... but how does that make it a good stadium for Urban Planning?
It doesn't... I'm not defending them (I hate them), just pointing out that they make financial sense for the owner and it has nothing to do with land value.

Quote:
Or better yet, how does it benefit Los Angeles, The City by eating up dozens of acres of land?
Well it is a pretty unique setting for a baseball stadium.

Quote:
EDIT: I'm thinking LA is going to lose horribly in this poll. Looking at the space that stadium occupies, how it is used, and how large Los Angeles is, why do people take the stance that, "Nuh-uh! LA is sooooooo hella walkable" when people point out the city was designed for cars?
Don't see what a decades-old stadium facility has to do with how walkable the rest of the city is.

Otherwise, I agree that Dodger Stadium is not a good example of a stadium that was planned from an urban planning perspective. It's still a great place to catch a game.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:

EDIT: Also to the same scale, here's Wrigley Field:
Wrigley Field - Google Maps
Expand your Google maps out and you'll see the Coke lot to the northwest of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, noted as Lot 1C on here. That's the main parking area for the speedway that isn't the infield. It's grass, not concrete, but it's probably bigger than the parking lots at Dodger Stadium, and further away. Sure, the speedway holds a lot more people than Dodger Stadium, but that's why Indy implements shuttles from various places in the city to the speedway for the 500 and for the Brickyard.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=India...polis,+IN&z=15

Dodger Stadium
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dodge...r+Stadium&z=15

Now Wrigley is one that always fascinated me due to it being in such a residential area with no parking lots around it.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Baseball stadiums are awesome. It is the only sport where the field is not exactly the same. This lends a little creativity and and lot of quirkiness to the stadiums.

For now, I have to pick three NL West stadiums (Giants, Padres, Rockies) and Pittsburgh as the best.

AT&T Park is right on the water in one of the most beautiful cities in the US. It has a nice old-time feel to it, but it could use more entertainment in the area though.

Coors Field gets a nod because of its age (no, really!). It is the 3rd oldest NL stadium, so the development surrounding it is more mature than many other stadiums. It is easy to access via light rail, has several bars and restaurants surrounding it, and it has a great old-time feel. It easily has the best facade of all the parks. It also has a brewpub inside of the stadium.

Petco Field has that cool integration of the historic building, but its facade leaves something to be desired. It is close to the bay, the convention center and gas lamp quarter.

PNC Park has the best view in all of baseball. The view of downtown and the pedestrian bridge is priceless. The limestone exterior is also a great addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning