U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,126,638 times

Advertisements

I haven't really seen this in DC, I guess if you live in a heavily black populated area you can't be racist however I have experienced this on the NYC subway on certain lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,124,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
I guess if you live in a heavily black populated area you can't be racist .
Woof. That's a good one.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,999,668 times
Quote:
If certain people are "afraid" to ride the bus, or see it as "beneath them" for some reason, that is a real problem and it affects everyone because they stay away from buses, which ultimately means less bus routes and less service overall.
...hence a downward spiral as routes get cut, then less ridership, to the point of choice riders being very small in number and the system used mostly by a transit -dependent population.

The fear factor also works in people not wanting bus service to their suburb since it will (or is precived to) bring a criminal element or undesirable element. This recently happened in Dayton to a proposal to extend bus service to an 'edge city' area in an adjacent county.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM

12,320 posts, read 15,244,934 times
The impression that buses are for the underclass is reinforced when someone whose vehicle is in for service rides the bus and experiences poor service, rundown buses and lower class of people riding (regardless of color). As long as no registered voters ride it, politicians have no reason to make it better.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 PM

22,267 posts, read 23,777,350 times
oh how interesting. so if all buses squirted skin whitening cream at their doorstep as soon as anyone stepped onboard, then everything will be good even without solving any issues with severe underfunding of mass transit and any sort of sociohistorical ties between race and socioeconomic status are ignored? Good stuff. Real good.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 PM

17,469 posts, read 21,314,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Personally, I don't like public transit because the transit I utilized was loaded with all manner of smelly, ill-mannered and often mentally ill people.
Bear in mind, there are people who have an acute sense of smell, and would raise a stink about any kind of smell. I stopped traveling with my sister-in-law, she's one of those types, who will ask the desk clerk if she can sniff out each room before staying in it!

I've ridden crowded, chicken buses all over Central America and never encountered this problem!

Now in other parts of the world it might be different. A teacher in Tehran, Iran once scolded her students:
If you want to be a student here, you better start bathing once a week instead of once every 2 weeks!

Can only imagine what a bus ride would be like over there!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM

17,469 posts, read 21,314,960 times
I started riding the bus to work 2 nites a week, voluntarily, and that first night was a big alarming, as I got on and was the only white person on the bus! But, since then, I realize that first night was an anomaly, as since then, I've seen different races use the bus.

Makes no difference to this avid reader, the minute I'm in my seat, can't see anything anyway as my face is buried in a book or magazine!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,126,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Woof. That's a good one.
lol Okay let me rephrase that. If you live in an area with a large black population than your tolerance at least has to be up. Sheeeit, most of the bus drivers and train operators are black in the DC area. Most cab drivers are Ethiopian or AA. If you live you are white, live in DC, and your racist than you will have a miserable time here. In fact, if your any race and live in DC you will be miserable.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,124,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
lol Okay let me rephrase that. If you live in an area with a large black population than your tolerance at least has to be up. Sheeeit, most of the bus drivers and train operators are black in the DC area. Most cab drivers are Ethiopian or AA. If you live you are white, live in DC, and your racist than you will have a miserable time here. In fact, if your any race and live in DC you will be miserable.
Ok now that makes a little more sense.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,962,845 times
The problem isn't race - it's class and it's a much bigger problem in the US than just riding transit. Being around poor people is stressful regardless of whether or not you're poor yourself. People who have a choice choose to stay away from them.

People from big cities don't realize that there are more poor and working poor white people in the US than there are black people of any income level. Anyone who has watched Jerry Springer for 5 minutes should be well aware of this. The difference is that most of those poor white people don't live near big cities so a lot of people from large metro areas have very little contact with those type of white people . . . unless you live in a city like Boston or Philly which still have relatively large, white, urban underclass populations.

African-Americans migrated from rural areas in the south to big cities in the north and west in two big waves to work in factories but within a generation those jobs were gone. The only transition for many was from rural poverty to urban poverty. White people from rural areas never undertook that kind of mass migration except during the Dustbowl and even then it was a relatively small percentage that migrated. If rural white people started flocking to cities in the 1950s and 60s the face of urban poverty would look a lot different but it would still be poverty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The fear factor also works in people not wanting bus service to their suburb since it will (or is precived to) bring a criminal element or undesirable element. This recently happened in Dayton to a proposal to extend bus service to an 'edge city' area in an adjacent county.
I've heard this argument before. It's the 2nd most ridiculous thing I've heard today.

"OK, dude from the ghetto is gonna take the bus out to some upper middle-class neighborhood he doesn't know very well and walk around casing the joint. He won't raise any suspicions at all.

Then he's gonna back and do it a few more times until he gets people's patterns down. No one will think it's weird to see some thug they've never seen before walking around the neighborhood for a few days in a row. No one will call the police.

Then he'll come back to burglarize. He'll time it perfectly. Since the bus only runs once an hour he'll wander the neighborhood for 50 minutes then he'll break in giving himself just enough time to get what he wants and run back to the bus stop.

He'll steal your desktop, your jewelry and your flat screen tv and he'll run down to the corner with it (this won't tip anyone off) and, as we know, buses that only run every hour are always on time so he'll hop on the bus with your schwag and the bus driver won't think it strange at all. Then, because no one notices, he'll continue on back to the 'hood with all your stuff on a bus with a radio link, a security camera and maybe 10 other passengers. "

Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or