U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,992,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've heard this argument before. It's the 2nd most ridiculous thing I've heard today.

Yeah, it IS pretty funny...the idea of the bus as a getaway vehicle. But that isn't really whats behind it..that is the rationalization...they just don't want the blacks to come and hang out at their shopping mall and get rowdy (there is a big mall on the proposed busline), so the crime issue is trotted out.

But the way the suburb killed the proposal was by putting various onerous requirements on the transit authority to price the service proposal off the table (like dedicated closed circuti monitoring and heated/cooled bus shelters at all the proposed stops)

@@@

I guess the question is going to be eventually what happens to public transit as costs rise and there isnt enough money to fund the system. More line cutbacks forcing more people into cars...that they can't afford.

So far I am able to make it work, accpeting the already poor frequency for my part of town, but sooner or later the route cutting is going make it totally infeasible to use transit. I think a lot of folks will be in the same situation.

It really sucks, this vicious cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 AM

32,119 posts, read 33,030,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine7090 View Post
After Rosa Parks white people dumped public transit to ride in safe secure private pods where they don't have to sit next to dark people, poor people or other undesirables.. Even today its a huge factor, people just don't talk it.
Obviously you don't live in the NYC area as practically everyone here uses the public transit system and that is definitely not any issue.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine7090 View Post
After Rosa Parks white people dumped public transit to ride in safe secure private pods where they don't have to sit next to dark people, poor people or other undesirables.. Even today its a huge factor, people just don't talk it.
What are you saying dude . I live in Central NJ and people of all races and professions ride the NJ transit NEC train. The same holds true for other major lines as well. Take the 6:00 PM NJT express from NY Penn to Morristown or New Brunswick, and you will see people of all ethnic groups and income levels on the train. Its kind of fun to see all the diversity actually.

However, I will never again IN MY LIFE ride public transport in India. No A/C on the buses and trains along with overcrowding and sweat . I would rather drive my pleasantly scented car with the A/C down to 19 C. I like to look clean, fresh, and sexy all day long and hate sweating.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 11-03-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 05:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,037,172 times
19C is too cold in the summer, it's a bit of an uncomfortable shock.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,848,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
OP, you are totally confusing race with behavior, and have allowed either a bad experience or an imagined bad experience to color your views. More personal exposure to other races than yours in healthy circumstance will help your world view. Really.
I agree. I ride public transportation all the time. And I have seen rowdy, belligerent behavior exhibited by people of all colors, especially if unemployed and educationally deficient. From suburbs to ghettos, big and small. I cant say that there are not white people who avoid black people. But I am also aware of black people who don't wish to engage white people. It's sad and unfortunate. But also part of the way we are in America.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
19C is too cold in the summer, it's a bit of an uncomfortable shock.
I set my car A/C in India at 19 C or 66.5 F. That's the same temperature my car A/C is set to here in NJ.

Outside, it was 38 C with 95 % humidity. YUCK!!!!

House Temperature is always up for debate. My parents want it at 78 F (26 C), and I like it at 74 F (23 C). We usually break even at 76 F (25 C) with my mom slowly jacking up the temperature after I sleep and forcing night sweats .

Old 11-04-2013, 02:46 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,856,463 times
Most people posting in this thread don't live in a city like NYC, Chicago, etc with huge public transit ridership or ever taken public transit themselves.

Generalizations are weak. Go take public transit and tell me no one sits next to black people. Or that public transit use is low.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,218,697 times
The two biggest problems with mass transit: 1. It doesn't go where you want to go. 2. In many places it is designed to repel potential riders. Beat up equipment, unreliable service, surly drivers, circuitous routing, no advertising.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,958,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I set my car A/C in India at 19 C or 66.5 F. That's the same temperature my car A/C is set to here in NJ.

Outside, it was 38 C with 95 % humidity. YUCK!!!!

House Temperature is always up for debate. My parents want it at 78 F (26 C), and I like it at 74 F (23 C). We usually break even at 76 F (25 C) with my mom slowly jacking up the temperature after I sleep and forcing night sweats .
that's just irresponsible. Of course you like it at 74 when you're not paying the electric bill.

If the thermostat is at 78 and you're still hot you need to:

a)take your coat off
b)get some exercise
c)turn on a fan
d)all of the above

re: a/c in cars. It always amazes me how many people I ride with that don't understand how thermostats work. They'll turn the a/c down as low as it will go then they'll turn the fan all the way up. Then 5 minutes later they'll say that they're cold and turn it completely off. Then they'll be hot again and take it from off to full blast. The same people do the same thing with the heat in winter.

I've also seen people do this with window units, mini-splits and central air. They'll turn the a/c down as low as it will go when they first enter a warm room. Then when they're cold they'll turn it off. I could understand it if it was people who grew up before thermostats were common but it's not - it's people in their 20s and 30s.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,037,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
that's just irresponsible. Of course you like it at 74 when you're not paying the electric bill.

If the thermostat is at 78 and you're still hot you need to:
I prefer no A/C myself as I like having outside in my room when possible. As long as there's a breeze (fan created helps), low 80s is tolerable. I wouldn't want the indoors any colder than 74F in the summer. 62F inside here right now.

I'm not sure if my car A/C has a thermostat, I end up toggling between on and off sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or