U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Your comments about the "thugs" on the bus were rather prejudicial anyway, so I'm not sure from what side you're arguing.
Whatever side results in more people using rail as mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,264,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You are making a complicated issue, to which Philly added some context, rather simplisitic. A lot of it was regular ol racism, but plenty more was institutional and economic in nature... Look up the terms redlining and blockbusting.

Your comments about the "thugs" on the bus were rather prejudicial anyway, so I'm not sure from what side you're arguing.
I didn't call them thugs I called them hoodlums because they physically assaulted someone on the bus for no apparent reason. What would you call them? Girl scouts?

That's not being prejudicial. I don't think you know the meaning of the word. Prejudicial is when you refer to someone as a hoodlum based solely on a superficial quality such as their dress or their tattoos or their nose ring or whatever. But if you call someone a hoodlum because they assaulted someone on a bus and committed a crime by doing so that is not prejudicial. You might want to brush up on your vocabulary.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM

9,608 posts, read 9,839,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In all seriousness, though, are you heavy? Like Professor Sherman Klump heavy? Because I'll sit next to an ugly person, but sitting next to a lard rump I cannot abide. There's nothing worse than fat just twisting and torquing away next to you to fit all of 355 lbs into a chair that was intended for a person of a normal BMI. Then there's the breathing and the sweating. God forbid they have the window seat and have to get up. Blech.
I see where I went wrong. You're a chick. Folks there is nothing scarier than a Caribbean woman with a bit of intelligence. The best you can do is hit them right and maybe you can have a good friend. The way a stick of dynamite is a good friend. Hit them wrong... and this can be for no reason except the way you smell from over an Internet connection and you can be in for a world of hurt. Don't make my mistake. I married one (not a Bajan). This one is probably single. Too young to have learned how to keep the poison fangs from showing. Back to you, sister, did it not ever occur to you that your experiences in the world might not be like those of a black man? Christ, you don't even know whether I am heavy, or smell or are ugly... tell me though... in your experience... do you find that people.. weary people on a long commute... do you find that they let little things like BO or the appearance of the person already in the seat, keep them from taking a load off?? I've seen swank women off to the office plotz down next to homeless people without a blink or wrinkle of their noses. We're done. those were rhetorical questions, meant more to arouse thought in any curious bystanders that were wondering why the sister just went off on this guy she didn't even know.

H

Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
BajanYankee is definitely not female

Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM

28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
BajanYankee is definitely not female
Haha. But if I were I'd definitely want to be a Trini girl.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine7090 View Post
After Rosa Parks white people dumped public transit to ride in safe secure private pods where they don't have to sit next to dark people, poor people or other undesirables.. Even today its a huge factor, people just don't talk it.
I think it has more to do with people not wanting to deal with ratchetness/ghetto behavior that sometimes associated with people of lower income. I think that is the main issue for many white people who refuse to ride the bus as oppose to just race. What I've also notice is that trains tend to have a lot less stigma associated with them than buses because trains tend to attract people with higher income, thus having a lesser chance of dealing with ghetto or ratchet behavior.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,569,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Personally, I don't like public transit because the transit I utilized was loaded with all manner of smelly, ill-mannered and often mentally ill people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It ain't dark people or poor people. It's smelly people, hostile people, and crazy people, all of whom can be found (in a rainbow of colors) on many municipal buses.

<snip>
Yes, it's this and this above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I think it's more a class issue than anything but even here in miami people know where toride and not ride the bus.
There are certain routes here in my city I would NEVER ride, and others that are just fine.

I used to take a bus straight into downtown, no transfers, it was pleasant. For a while I allowed my sons (oldest was a senior in high school, his brother was 12) to ride the bus to and from school (charter school about five miles away). They had to transfer once, and the route from downtown to their school was what lead to me forbidding them to ride, period, when they were threatened by some nutcase with a knife. The crazy guys reasoning was because my son had opted to sit near his brother and not in the open seat next to this guy and he was obviously "too good" to sit next to him. That's what his rant was about.. "What, are you too good to sit by me???" Insane. Sons tried ignoring him, he kept escalating, then pulled a knife out. Cops were called, no more bus for my boys for a while until we moved.

I've also been followed off the bus by a super creepy guy and I've been harassed more times than I can count. It has nothing to do with skin color. It's just that, on certain routes here in particular, there are some seriously unstable people that I wouldn't want to be around in any situation.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM

319 posts, read 501,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The first thing I'll say is that a bus ride from NYC to Chicago sounds completely ridiculous. I'm sure people do it, but just not me.

The second thing I'll say is that people may not be sitting next to you because you're ugly. I'm not saying you are ugly, but that could be a reason. I don't think many people would hesitate to sit next to Denzel Washington or Will Smith. Just sayin.
I couldn't care less if I sit by anyone of any race - I'm a taller guy, size 36-ish waist, and pretty physically fit. If someone looks they are about the same size, I'll just stand. I'd rather not encroach on personal space. And being 6'3", they don't make those seats for us taller/wider folk.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM

407 posts, read 407,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I wasn't talking about the NYC subway, or the NJ rail. I was talking about the LA light rail because that's what I'm familiar with. Try to keep up. Subways are not light rail they are heavy rail.
I understand what you're talking about, I was making a general comparison: try to cut the snark.

Quote:
I didn't say light rail doesn't get crowded. I said it is less likely to. Light rail can and does get crowded, but not nearly much or as frequently, or as badly crowded as buses do. Or fills up as quickly. It's not rocket science. When your carrying capacity is several times greater you don't get crowded nearly as often. One train operated by one driver can do the job of 10 buses and 10 drivers. I have never seen a light rail system as badly overcrowded as that bus in the video. But what I do know is that severe overcrowding is very common on buses in dense metropolitan areas. That's because buses are a low-capacity solution and cannot handle a very high demand. Buses make sense in the suburbs or on less busier routes but to use them in extremely dense places as your primary or only mode of transit, is not very smart. Penny-wise but pound foolish.
Poster 'nei' said it best in a post a few below yours:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei
Unless your passenger volume is several times greater than a bus.
It's all relative to the amount of people riding the line, location, density and other factors such as land layout and end destinations. I guess your LA light rail system doesn't get as packed out as the light rail over here in Jersey City, which becomes sardine-can packed very quickly during rush hours.

Quote:
And as badly as you believe the NY subway to be crowded now, how much worse do you think it would be if they closed up the whole subway system and replaced it with bus service? Would you like that better, since your such a big fan of buses? Whatever crowding there is now would be a hundred times worse if it were replaced with bus service.
That's just an absurd comparison, and at no point did I ever even imply that the NYC subway should be replaced with buses. Additionally, I'm not really a fan or buses or trains either way, but rather I believe in using what works best for a given area and what can provide the most level of possible comfort for commuters for their dollars paid. I think the express coach buses + park and rides/local stops as well work for far reaching outer borough areas in NYC such as my neighborhood, which is more suburban in form than anything. For half the daily cost, we also have a slow train + slow ferry + subway that can get you to the same destination in equal or more time (depending on traffic, the bus can take an hour or an hour and a half each way). One way fare for the 3 modes would be $2.50, one way fare on the bus is $6. The ferry can be nice on a cool spring day out on the upper deck with a beer in hand (yup, they sell beer on board lol), but for most people the bus is a very nice and comfortable way to commute. For those who live in more dense, urban neighborhoods closer to Manhattan...and even some further out nabes with subway stations, then the subway to Manhattan just makes more sense.

So I'm not a "fan" of either type of mass transit, I'm really a fan of using my car more than anything but I understand the lack of practicality of myself (let alone everyone else) driving into a place like Manhattan every day for commuting, given its density and layout, so I support whatever transportation system can comfortably get people in and out every day (and save driving into the city for the weekend )

Quote:
Don't expect that a bunch of cramped buses and a rusting, rat-infested 100 year old subway system is enough to do the job. NYC could use modern light rail, imo. Because they seem to be stuck in the 19th century and what they have right now is a joke.
lol dude, it's hyperbolic crap like this which pretty much tells me you've never really experienced public transportation in New York City and just how spectacularly well it does it's job, all things such as appearance considered. i've spent years riding it, I actually used to be into some railfanning of sorts back in my high school days (damn, nearly a decade ago now....sheesh). A huge portion of the fleet is actually running some really nice rolling stock, the R142/As, R143s and R160s running on most of the lines since they were first entered in service ~2000.

Even the oldest running cars in the system (R32s, 49 years old this year) are in spectacular shape given the amount of work that the TA puts into these beasts. Sure, they have a little surface scuff and rust but they are workhorses that do their job very well day in and day out:

Sure, transit in NYC could be improved in a lot of ways, especially capacity on the East Side, but they're finally building the subway line up there along Second Avenue, and we're also getting a western midtown extension of the 7 line as well. I have SEVERAL friends who work for the TA as train operators, conductors, tower operators, etc and the work that they do every day to keep this city moving is far from appreciated when people like you who have no clue about what an intricate and organized chaos it is here every day....take a trip out here one day, and you'll understand.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Quote:
I didn't call them thugs I called them hoodlums because they physically assaulted someone on the bus for no apparent reason. What would you call them? Girl scouts?

That's not being prejudicial. I don't think you know the meaning of the word. Prejudicial is when you refer to someone as a hoodlum based solely on a superficial quality such as their dress or their tattoos or their nose ring or whatever. But if you call someone a hoodlum because they assaulted someone on a bus and committed a crime by doing so that is not prejudicial. You might want to brush up on your vocabulary.
I thought you referred to those stills of a crowded bus, not the video. My mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or