U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 AM

8,733 posts, read 9,977,114 times

Advertisements

There is some truth to this. I have been on the bus many times and reading a book and people will give you that 'look' and then sit with a white person or only sit with you because there is no other seat available. This doesn't happen all the time, but it's happened enough to be noticed. I don't smell or look funny and generally mind my own buisness. So they'll sit with some white guy who is strapped down with a damn bomb for all they know, that's what they get for assuming the black woman/man on the bus was automatically a bad option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 11:34 AM

9,520 posts, read 14,812,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I know it's not true anymore - that's why I said "were".

But a lot of people throw around this canard that black people are under assault and are being forced to leave neighborhoods they lived in for decades when that's the exception, not the rule. It's like the old lady who used to live behind me, bought her house in the early 70's for $15,000. Paid it off in the late 80s. Sold it a few years ago for $220k. No one forced her to leave, she took the money and ran.
The people effectively forced to leave gentrifying neighborhoods are renters, as the landlords raise rents or take buildings off the rental market to make them condos. Rent control/stabilization can prevent or mitigate this in cities which have it, but if the city wants the gentrification they'll give the landlords an out. In cities where the gentrifying areas are overwhelmingly black and the gentrifiers aren't, the result is that poor blacks leave. For some reason this is white people being racist, whereas when middle-class whites moved out of those same neighborhoods and poor blacks moved in, that was also white people being racist. Go figure.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,804,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I know it's not true anymore - that's why I said "were".

But a lot of people throw around this canard that black people are under assault and are being forced to leave neighborhoods they lived in for decades when that's the exception, not the rule. It's like the old lady who used to live behind me, bought her house in the early 70's for $15,000. Paid it off in the late 80s. Sold it a few years ago for $220k. No one forced her to leave, she took the money and ran.
I believe blacks were under assault in the 40s and 50s.

I believe now that it is purely economical. If you are poor AND black well it seems people choose black to be the reason.

It's class war now. Not race...

Old 05-04-2013, 04:04 PM

801 posts, read 858,760 times
I don't think the OP is racist, I think he's just pointing out that there is a general stigma that there are still some people that are afraid of other races in general. They're not necessarily racist, they just don't know what to expect when they encounter those of other races, and would prefer to avoid situations they are unsure of. They're also probably afraid of people that are in other social classes than they are, with the stigma that a poor person is dirty and it will rub off on them when they go to work, or that the person will bug/mug them for money. Ridiculous, but you can thank the American media for that.

There's also a connotation of public transit = poor people way of getting around. Maybe not in NY, but in other major US cities I would not be surprised if this is the case. A huge part of American social status is material wealth, and the #1 thing used to show wealth is a car. This reinforces the idea that if you take public transit to work, you must be too poor to own a car, when in reality you are just trying to save money on these ridiculous gas prices, or you're a green person.

American cities are often too spread out to be serviced by good mass transit. European cities are much more compact, and so less bus/subway lines service more people. Public transit in cities like Houston and Phoenix are somewhat of a joke, as the cities cover so much land area. Plus the time it takes these buses to get to office areas outweighs the frustration of morning traffic.

Last, American mass transit just tends to suck so much that it's not worth riding. Miami metro's TriRail is nicknamed the "TriFail", because it's never on time and has terrible service. In that case, you choose to drive your car and suffer through the gas prices. Except, if you don't have a car because you can't afford it (tends to be poorer urban Americans, which tend to be minorities), then you ride public transit, and BOOM! There's all your poor minorities stinking up the buses /sarcasm.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:05 PM

317 posts, read 484,477 times
short distance between cities, i just hop on the Amtrak better security and its safer

Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,114,227 times
This is a most interesting thread and I don't have a lot to add. Here in Central Fl, we do have a bus line that is trying to run between cities, probably in a 50 mile geographical area. It has been a struggle. It is used primarily by black people. I wouldn't mind using the bus for a 5 mile one way commute but it would take me over an hour to get from Point A to Point B. they have made a nice new terminal for changing buses. I hope to see it used a lot as I think it is a good thing.

I rode a Greyhound bus from Columbia SC to Central Fl when I was 16 years old. I had been visiting my brother in the service before he was shipped overseas. It was a hoot. You could smoke on the buses then. A good experience.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,134,599 times
It is not a race issue or at least not a black issue. More it is how a good percentage of public transit riders conduct themselves in specific areas.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:45 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,981,697 times
Here in Dayton the public transit system is called RTA (regional transit authority). Local wags says it stands for Return to Africa.

I beg to differ. For select lines on the east side it could also stand for Return to Appalachia.

(here the system ridership is 70%-80% minority, which--here-- usually means black..tho I do see the occasional asian or latino on it).

The perception that the transit system is a social support for the urban undeclass (which it is) is one reason there is no support of service extention to nearby suburban counties, or support of increase transit funding. The system is for "them", not for "us"(ie middle class white folk).

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,952,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Here in Dayton the public transit system is called RTA (regional transit authority). Local wags says it stands for Return to Africa.

I beg to differ. For select lines on the east side it could also stand for Return to Appalachia.
It's the same thing in every city. The routes that go to asian neighborhoods have a lot of asians on them. Routes that go to mostly white neighborhoods have mostly white riders.

Quote:
The perception that the transit system is a social support for the urban undeclass (which it is) is one reason there is no support of service extention to nearby suburban counties, or support of increase transit funding. The system is for "them", not for "us"(ie middle class white folk).
In small cities with small, low frequency transit systems it isn't social support for the urban underclass - it's a subsidy for employers. You get to pay people $8/hr and they still manage to make it to work + you get to spread the burden around to all taxpayers and to your employees.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 PM

889 posts, read 1,014,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
"The real problem with public transit is that a large % of people don't want to sit next to blacks people."

Always nice to hear from the racists in the crowd.

Actually I like riding the bus, although it's certainly less convenient than just hopping into the car. There are always going to be suburban white sissies and the people who tell them what to think, but that's just the way that the world is going and there's nothing to be done about that.
But that's the point of this thread - something needs to be done about it.

The point is: if more people would ride the bus, the buses would be able to offer better service and serve more areas.

If certain people are "afraid" to ride the bus, or see it as "beneath them" for some reason, that is a real problem and it affects everyone because they stay away from buses, which ultimately means less bus routes and less service overall. It makes it harder for people like you and I who don't mind taking the bus, because the routes we'd want to take sometimes get lumped in with other routes (that take longer) or just cut altogether.

Getting more people to ride the bus makes it better for people who already ride the bus. If people aren't riding the bus because they are racists (which, from my experience, seems to be a real reason that people do not take the bus) then it is something that needs to be addressed and somehow "fixed" (get these people to start riding the bus) - not just shrugged away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or