Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 PM

389 posts, read 470,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am responding to a poster who said "most of your life happens within a 10 minute walk of your front door". I think that's a pretty narrow way of life.

And there are people in Pittsburgh who've never been to Ohio, 35 miles away.
Oh, I missed that part, I can believe that. People can live narrow lives anywhere.

So my manager lived in Denver like five years ago, got married and lived in Chicago for near six years raised a little boy etc. This year she moved back to Michigan so the child could grow up to see the grandparents more frequently as well as similar aged cousins. Anyways, she specifically says she forgot how unwalkable and spread out Michigan is.

Anyways, my point being perhaps the Denver area is well ahead of what we have here in Michigan, (depending on how you look at it.)

Sidenote, if I had kids... sorry mom and dad I wouldn't move back just to be near the grandparents, I'd fly in and out every now and then weeks at a time.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
I am responding to a poster who said "most of your life happens within a 10 minute walk of your front door". I think that's a pretty narrow way of life.

And there are people in Pittsburgh who've never been to Ohio, 35 miles away.
I think that's a narrow way to view convenience. I'll probably see a dozen friends today, go to the farmers market, and the hardware store, all within 10 minutes. Does that mean I'm sheltered? I've lived all over the place and seen most of north america

And what the heck is in the Ohio adjacent to Pittsburgh anyway - Steubenville? How are you going to keep them in the burgh once they've seen Steubenville ?

Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
And what the heck is in the Ohio adjacent to Pittsburgh anyway - Steubenville? How are you going to keep them in the burgh once they've seen Steubenville ?
Spoken like someone who's never been there.

One of the best Italian restaurants I've ever been to was in Steubenville ... almost as good as Grandma's cooking.

Steubenville | Mural Locator

Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I think that's a narrow way to view convenience. I'll probably see a dozen friends today, go to the farmers market, and the hardware store, all within 10 minutes. Does that mean I'm sheltered? I've lived all over the place and seen most of north america

I suggest you time these excursions. I really think living your day to day within 10 minutes of your front door is very well, narrow.

In addition to what Ohiogirl81 said about Steubenville, there is something to be said for getting out of one's own little bubble. 35 miles is not too far to travel in one's lifetime.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Spoken like someone who's never been there.

One of the best Italian restaurants I've ever been to was in Steubenville ... almost as good as Grandma's cooking.

Steubenville | Mural Locator
I've been there. I was making a joke. Didn't mean to disparage it.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I suggest you time these excursions. I really think living your day to day within 10 minutes of your front door is very well, narrow.
It's remarkable that you don't understand that we probably do the same things, experience the same stuff , but due to the density and proximity of the things I like to my house, i don't have to travel as far.

Only you could twist convenience into being a symptom of being narrow minded!

I haven't started the car yet today. Since my first post I've been to the grocery, the hardware store, had breakfast with friends at the farmers mkt and got some stuff to bring home. Could you have accomplished those tasks more conveniently or efficiently with everything spread out? I'm doubtful. Do you think I'm having a sheltered Saturday just because I'm probably not going to go the Thai place on the other side of town because the one down the street is perfectly acceptable?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
It's remarkable that you don't understand that we probably do the same things, experience the same stuff , but due to the density and proximity of the things I like to my house, i don't have to travel as far.

Only you could twist convenience into being a symptom of being narrow minded!

I haven't started the car yet today. Since my first post I've been to the grocery, the hardware store, had breakfast with friends at the farmers mkt and got some stuff to bring home. Could you have accomplished those tasks more conveniently or efficiently with everything spread out? I'm doubtful. Do you think I'm having a sheltered Saturday just because I'm probably not going to go the Thai place on the other side of town because the one down the street is perfectly acceptable?
To answer your last question first, not at all. I just think that people who rarely get out of their little bubble of a 10 min walk from their home are not necessarily the people with the huge world view they think they are. (Not necessarily referring to you.) If you've never seen the other side of your city, how can you call yourself "well-traveled"? If you never consider going across town to go to a different restaurant, that seems rather constricted.

If I went to downtown Louisville, a 5-6 min. drive from here, I could do all you did within a short walk. However, I don't think the Farmer's Market is open yet, as there is nothing to harvest yet.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM

We agree that those who NEVER leave their area don't experience much.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Quote:

BTW, how can one be "well-traveled" if they never go farther than 10 minutes from their front door?
I didn't say that I never went farther than 10 minutes from my front door. I said, "most of life happens within a 10 minute walk" meaning most of one's daily activities are within a 1/2 mile of home.

That's quite different from never.

My wife's office was about 1.5 miles from our house. We would meet for lunch once a week. My parents lived 50 miles away. The beach was 60 miles. So yeah, I left my neighborhood a couple times per week but not because I had to. Because I wanted to.

Now to put it back in its original context, I said that in response to a condescending comment that was suggesting that when people have kids and "have to plan for things" that people quickly give up on city living - or at least on not owning a car.

So, how can one be well travelled? I'm not sure what running errands, taking the kids to school, or going to work have to do with traveling per se but, In my life I've lived in 10 US states (4 of them while in the Army), visited every state east of the Mississippi (except for MS) and have seen a lot of states west, visited most of eastern Canada + Vancouver, a bit of the Caribbean, most of western europe and now I live in Australia. There's a lot of the world I still want to see and some I'll never get to but I think I'm off to a pretty good start.

Last edited by drive carephilly; 05-04-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Michigan severely lacks in this department as well as virtually the whole Midwest besides Chicagoland. The Midwest is filled with suburban lifestyle, we need the cities of the Midwest to improve. It's not as simple as liking city life and saying oh, I'm going to move to Detroit... read about the problems. Cities differ from each other, NYC is relatively safe compared to many other cities. We could use more choices.
You don't need to live in a big city to live that lifestyle, though. You might prefer the constant energy of a place like NYC (I don't) but others might like the vibe of Madison, WI or Portland, ME. You don't need to live in a metro of +5 million to be able to live in a neighborhood where you can walk to most things and where there are a reasonable amount of offerings catering to 20-30 somethings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning