U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Cars do last the longest when they are lightly used. A few thousand miles a year is great. But when one ends up sitting for months due to lack of need, then it becomes an albatross.
At that point, the car will rust to death before it wears out from too many miles. If car just sits around constantly, you're better off renting. I'm near that point, but not quite. And even though I use my car mostly for longer trips, for some local trips it's a definite plus. If my car did die, I'd probably go without and not bother with the hassle and expense of buying another, at least for sometime. And if our rail system was much better, I could go to my parents in a time competitive manner with transit (how about 2h20 min from Springfield to New York City with a timed bus or train shuttle connection from my town).

My car has 106,000 miles (32,000 miles put my me [well my dad ended up using for a short time, too] in the last 4 years) on it and is 17 years old. I'm thinking it's going to die from age rather than wear.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 AM

5,593 posts, read 6,370,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
I'm sorry that whatever place you grew up in felt so lacking, but it still doesn't change my point that the majority of suburbanites have the same access to all of the "amazing" amenities of the city, culturally-wise or whatever else.
That's true. Suburbanites typically have rather easy access to the amenities of the city. The only difference is that they have to drive to get there, as opposed to walking, and from the exurbs it can be an hour's drive to those amenities. That's longer and less convenient than a 10-minute walk, but I'd say if it's something you want to do 1 hour of travel time isn't much of an obstacle.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM

407 posts, read 407,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That's true. Suburbanites typically have rather easy access to the amenities of the city. The only difference is that they have to drive to get there, as opposed to walking, and from the exurbs it can be an hour's drive to those amenities. That's longer and less convenient than a 10-minute walk, but I'd say if it's something you want to do 1 hour of travel time isn't much of an obstacle.
Longer and less convenient is all relative in my opinion, since it's all a trade off in the end. I really couldn't care less if I can walk ten minutes to "art house movie theaters, restaurants that span the globe in cuisines, excellent shopping, live theater, live music, world-renowned health care, yoga, pilates, used book stores, great coffee/tea shops, fantastic hair salons, a bike trail, farmer's markets, Whole Foods" lol. For me, out of that particular list that the poster I was originally responded to, I only really care about the live music (nothing like a concert in NYC), restaurants that span the globe in cuisines,world-renowned health care facilities and bike trails. The rest of that stuff is irrelevant to me personally, and many people that I know...however you could also find a lot of it within a 10-20 minute drive around here, or maybe a little longer drive in a lot of the suburban communities around NYC. Some of the best Tex-Mex food I've ever had was in suburban Woodbridge NJ and I think I've had some of the best Chicken Tikka Masala (and other Indian food) in the far out suburbs of Cincinnati last summer, even better than what I ate when I was actually IN India for work a month after that!

There is a lot of things I do find unique and that I do love about the urban culture in Manhattan, specifically the ethnic cuisine, dive bars, musical venues and interesting architecture/infrastructure. My willingness to be 30-60 minute drive/transit ride from all of this stuff, such that a typical suburbanite would, has to do with the fact that I have absolutely no desire to live in such dense conditions and essentially have to give up my car to do it. To some, this is a huge plus, but for me...it would kill me lol. Plus, I like the fact that I'm a quick car ride away from all of that, and I'm also a relatively quick car ride away from the beaches in New Jersey. Additionally, I can own a decent sized house with a little bit of property, a big driveway/garage, decent sized lawn and my own detached home, because I actually enjoy yard work, car washing/detailing, renovations/work around the house and the general suburban "lets go to Home Depot and do something cool this weekend" or "wash/wax the car and cruise around this Sunday" or "build a home movie theater in my basement" mentality. These are the things that I truly care about, and from what I gather, they are things that a LOT of people care about more than being so close to all of the "enlightenment" which the poster I quoted originally had mentioned.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM

32,363 posts, read 59,787,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
I think I've had some of the best Chicken Tikka Masala (and other Indian food) in the far out suburbs of Cincinnati last summer
You don't say! I'll have to try that when I'm in town next month, after I've had my fill of five-ways and barbecue.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM

407 posts, read 407,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You don't say! I'll have to try that when I'm in town next month, after I've had my fill of five-ways and barbecue.
Yup! We went on a little "field trip" from the office there one day, and I went back myself a couple of times after that while I was still there. Some of the best Indian I've ever had lol. It's funny, because my brother went to Italy in 2009 with my grandparents and claims he's had better pizza here in NYC hahaha.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Maybe from the farthest exurbs it's an hour. We can get to a destination in downtown Denver, portal to portal, parked and into our seats at Coors Field, the Denver Center, etc in 45 minutes.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Of course it depends on the size of the metro.

Driving into downtown Denver is generally convenient?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Of course it depends on the size of the metro.

Driving into downtown Denver is generally convenient?
Yes. Usually not too hard to find parking, either.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,095,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe from the farthest exurbs it's an hour. We can get to a destination in downtown Denver, portal to portal, parked and into our seats at Coors Field, the Denver Center, etc in 45 minutes.
From the farthest exurbs (90 miles) to DC it's ... just too freaking long.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,095,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes. Usually not too hard to find parking, either.
Yes, there were a lot of big parking lots I saw there. One of the reasons I thought it was a bit less than vibrant, in areas. Though very convenient for suburban guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or