U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM

389 posts, read 401,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Longer and less convenient is all relative in my opinion, since it's all a trade off in the end. I really couldn't care less if I can walk ten minutes to "art house movie theaters, restaurants that span the globe in cuisines, excellent shopping, live theater, live music, world-renowned health care, yoga, pilates, used book stores, great coffee/tea shops, fantastic hair salons, a bike trail, farmer's markets, Whole Foods" lol. For me, out of that particular list that the poster I was originally responded to, I only really care about the live music (nothing like a concert in NYC), restaurants that span the globe in cuisines,world-renowned health care facilities and bike trails. The rest of that stuff is irrelevant to me personally, and many people that I know...however you could also find a lot of it within a 10-20 minute drive around here, or maybe a little longer drive in a lot of the suburban communities around NYC. Some of the best Tex-Mex food I've ever had was in suburban Woodbridge NJ and I think I've had some of the best Chicken Tikka Masala (and other Indian food) in the far out suburbs of Cincinnati last summer, even better than what I ate when I was actually IN India for work a month after that!

There is a lot of things I do find unique and that I do love about the urban culture in Manhattan, specifically the ethnic cuisine, dive bars, musical venues and interesting architecture/infrastructure. My willingness to be 30-60 minute drive/transit ride from all of this stuff, such that a typical suburbanite would, has to do with the fact that I have absolutely no desire to live in such dense conditions and essentially have to give up my car to do it. To some, this is a huge plus, but for me...it would kill me lol. Plus, I like the fact that I'm a quick car ride away from all of that, and I'm also a relatively quick car ride away from the beaches in New Jersey. Additionally, I can own a decent sized house with a little bit of property, a big driveway/garage, decent sized lawn and my own detached home, because I actually enjoy yard work, car washing/detailing, renovations/work around the house and the general suburban "lets go to Home Depot and do something cool this weekend" or "wash/wax the car and cruise around this Sunday" or "build a home movie theater in my basement" mentality. These are the things that I truly care about, and from what I gather, they are things that a LOT of people care about more than being so close to all of the "enlightenment" which the poster I quoted originally had mentioned.
If you're referring to me I never mentioned anything about enlightenment, however, I have one friend in particular who moved to Bushwick and for some reason it seems just saying he lives in NYC(even though bushwick is not really a desirable area) has gone to his head. I'm not one of those types who think I'm some higher being for living in a NYC, LA, or Chi... I just like everything being close and walking distance plus the energy of certain cities, it makes me happy. I'm sure many of the the people who like urban living here just like it for whatever reason, not some sort of enlightenment.

Many of my friends the past couple years have went on to places like San Fran, Chi, and NYC... I've got a bit more saving up to do, Chicago is the cheapest and has good walkability/transit... NYC is great as well but due to the lack of great choice for urban living, prices are kind of outrageous.

I wouldn't try to make fun of certain peoples likes just because they like a city that is walkable, full of life, and the fact that they want to live in the middle of it, not out of it in the suburbs.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,115,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post

I wouldn't try to make fun of certain peoples likes just because they like a city that is walkable, full of life, and the fact that they want to live in the middle of it, not out of it in the suburbs.
The longer you stick around this board, weteath, you will learn: Praising density and walkability will be met with the same tired ridicule about yoga mats, starbucks, bars. There are those who think it's simply a lifestyle, a fashion statement ... but in reality there are people who just want to live close enough to their needs to not drive. For many of us, whole foods is not a need ... but we get lumped in with this stereotype often.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The longer you stick around this board, weteath, you will learn: Praising density and walkability will be met with the same tired ridicule about yoga mats, starbucks, bars. There are those who think it's simply a lifestyle, a fashion statement ... but in reality there are people who just want to live close enough to their needs to not drive. For many of us, whole foods is not a need ... but we get lumped in with this stereotype often.
And, on the other hand, say you like the suburbs, and you will be met with derision about being "sterile", "vapid", "materialistic", and all sorts of other negative stereotypes. We're all loners who don't go outside except to mow our lawns with heavy duty mowers, our kids are all a bunch of stoners who do drugs in the halls of the high schools, we sit around watching "American Idol", etc. Talk about "tired".

Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,115,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And, on the other hand, say you like the suburbs, and you will be met with derision about being "sterile", "vapid", "materialistic", and all sorts of other negative stereotypes. We're all loners who don't go outside except to mow our lawns with heavy duty mowers, our kids are all a bunch of stoners who do drugs in the halls of the high schools, we sit around watching "American Idol", etc. Talk about "tired".
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or