U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,789 posts, read 10,703,951 times
Reputation: 2513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It has more than DC does, and for that reason, I've always considered it more Northeastern. But I don't consider it the true Northeast. And apparently neither do Baltimoreans. And we already saw how the "Is NOVA part of the Northeast" thread played out so there's no need to even go there.

oh please. How do you think it would have gone without you going in every few threads to twist the discussion to your terms.

Basically what we all agreed was that theres a huge west coast influence on NoVa that dilutes both southern and northeastern influences. For those (like me) who see that as reinforcing the northern quality of NoVa, which is EAST COAST, that leads it to being northeast (I think given the widespread usage of Northeast corridor as equivalent to east coast minus the south atlantic, the distinction of east coast and northeast is silly - except where northeast is used to contract with midatlantic, but then philly and south jersey are problematic) Clearly the majority on that forum do not agree with me on the northern character of the western states, I admit. So I can accept that NoVa is a blend. its also the less northeastern half of the metro area.

 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,789 posts, read 10,703,951 times
Reputation: 2513
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The point is that it doesn't back up your "Baltimore is a northeastern city" claim if a majority of people in the Baltimore forum said it's not, does it?
If you want to count heads, and not examine the reasoning they used to get there sure.

Ive lived in Baltimore, have you? It felt quite northeastern to me.
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,789 posts, read 10,703,951 times
Reputation: 2513
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It has more than DC does, and for that reason, I've always considered it more Northeastern. But I don't consider it the true Northeast. And apparently neither do Baltimoreans. .
but they consider it LESS northeastern than you. So they do not agree with you.

Last edited by nei; 05-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: rude
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
 
743 posts, read 1,102,751 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think BY has a broader definition of SWPL (Im not sure which letter is an abbreviation for a person - the S stands for 'stuff') than you do. he uses it to refer to any white college grad, but with the implication that they all like the stuff that white college grads who move to cities do.
Ah, I see. Well, I have observed that there is a certain subset of people (let's not call them a "class") for whom car usage has fallen out of favor. This subset is not the largest of its peers, but it is the most influential. The young thought leaders of our shared culture are all part of this subset and subscribe to its norms and values.

What this means to me is that the decline in car ownership is perceived as a more broad-based phenomenon than it really is.

But this is really just a national look at global trends. Places with the highest quality of life are seeing declining car ownership. Third world nations are seeing increases in car ownership. But who has more people?

It still stands to reason that the elite in China will eventually stop coveting an Audi and instead demand bike lanes and traffic calming.
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,245 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
oh please. How do you think it would have gone without you going in every few threads to twist the discussion to your terms.
LOL. So I "twisted" the discussion? I didn't manipulate anyone into saying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How many times do you have to be told that NoVA is not Northeastern or "Northern" whatever the heck that means. It wasn't in 1813, 1913, or 2013. Asking this ridiculous question over and over again is just troll behavior. NoVA is more like the outskirts of Atlanta or Dallas than it is to New York or Boston.
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Basically what we all agreed was that theres a huge west coast influence on NoVa that dilutes both southern and northeastern influences. For those (like me) who see that as reinforcing the northern quality of NoVa, which is EAST COAST, that leads it to being northeast (I think given the widespread usage of Northeast corridor as equivalent to east coast minus the south atlantic, the distinction of east coast and northeast is silly - except where northeast is used to contract with midatlantic, but then philly and south jersey are problematic) Clearly the majority on that forum do not agree with me on the northern character of the western states, I admit. So I can accept that NoVa is a blend. its also the less northeastern half of the metro area.
So again, how does that translate into "It's the Northeast!"
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,245 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
If you want to count heads, and not examine the reasoning they used to get there sure.
What is it about you that wants that area to be part of the Northeast so badly? If most people living there don't identify it with the Northeast, then it's not the Northeast. Period. Most people will say that Baltimore and Washington, DC are not a part of either region. But for some reason, that's not good enough for you.
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM
 
152 posts, read 464,302 times
Reputation: 139
Because they can't buy them with points from plying X-Box all day
Or they expect Mom and or Dad to buy them one for graduation.

You first have to be able to afford one.
JMO
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
 
743 posts, read 1,102,751 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What is it about you that wants that area to be part of the Northeast so badly? If most people living there don't identify it with the Northeast, then it's not the Northeast. Period. Most people will say that Baltimore and Washington, DC are not a part of either region. But for some reason, that's not good enough for you.
Everywhere is in a region. To my sweet southern eyes NOVA looks a lot like Jersey or Route 128. The same people who are changing NOVA are changing the Preston Corridor of Dallas, FWIW. It's basically Jersey up there.
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Reputation: 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
See my post above.

to some being "carfree" doesnt just mean not owning a car, or even not renting one, now you can't even accept a ride in one.
Yeah, that's a pretty extreme stance.

I haven't owned a TV since 2000. I stopped watching TV when I lived in Britain, and just never got back into the habit when I moved back to the U.S. But I have no issue with one being on when I'm visiting someone, or even turning it on for 15 minutes at a hotel. It was just a cost I decided I didn't need when I weighed it against other expenses, like internet access.
 
Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,245 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Everywhere is in a region. To my sweet southern eyes NOVA looks a lot like Jersey or Route 128. The same people who are changing NOVA are changing the Preston Corridor of Dallas, FWIW. It's basically Jersey up there.
And to my harsh Philadelphia scowl, NOVA is as charming as Alpharetta.

The DC area is in an odd position. Southerners say it's not southern. Northerners say it's not northern. I guess that's the way it was intended to be. A perfect compromise between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top