U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM

743 posts, read 1,102,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And to my harsh Philadelphia scowl, NOVA is as charming as Alpharetta.

The DC area is in an odd position. Southerners say it's not southern. Northerners say it's not northern. I guess that's the way it was intended to be. A perfect compromise between the two.
Northern charm and southern efficiency!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Northern charm and southern efficiency!
Yep.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
but they consider it LESS northeastern than you. So they do not agree with you.
The majority voted "No." It's not that they said it's less Northeastern. They said it wasn't Northeastern at all.

Last edited by nei; 05-03-2013 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: rude, response to deleted post

Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 AM

5,593 posts, read 6,370,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
William Kunstler has said "Many people have bought their last automobile, they just don't know it yet."

Prophetic words?
I think most of the people who have bought their last automobile and don't know it are over 70 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not going to even get into this discussion again. The bottom line is that most people will tell you that the DC area is neither southern nor northern. I don't see how being neither one really gets you to "It's the Northeast!"
Northern Virginia is Mid-Atlantic, not Northeast, though it is often lumped into the Northeast by virtue of the Boston-Washington corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
What this means to me is that the decline in car ownership is perceived as a more broad-based phenomenon than it really is.
I agree with that. Since cars aren't the "in" thing any more, having been replaced in that capacity by computers, you should expect to see a decline in car ownership, but I don't think a dislike of cars is a secular trend. Plenty of young people like cars and many more would like to buy and drive them, but the problem is they don't have enough money to buy them and/or they don't like the current offerings. Just take one look at youth underemployment, and youth income vs. the price of cars and you can see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
It still stands to reason that the elite in China will eventually stop coveting an Audi and instead demand bike lanes and traffic calming.
Nah. When green land yachts come on the scene, that's what they'll covet .

Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM

32,364 posts, read 59,787,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
to some being "carfree" doesnt just mean not owning a car, or even not renting one, now you can't even accept a ride in one.
To me, the freedom of being without a car carries with it a responsibility to arrange for your own transportation, just as owning a car carries with it a responsibility to pay for the car's upkeep and operation, and comply with corresponding laws.

If being car-free means taking public transit or walking or belonging to a car share organization, then that is taking responsibility for your choices. But arranging your day so that you can beg rides from people with cars, and not take the responsibility of sharing in the costs associated with those rides, is freeloading plain and simple. And that is what I see a lot of among the younger people I work with who do not own cars. They are not "car free" by any stretch of the imagination; they simply do not own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I haven't owned a TV since 2000. I stopped watching TV when I lived in Britain, and just never got back into the habit when I moved back to the U.S. But I have no issue with one being on when I'm visiting someone, or even turning it on for 15 minutes at a hotel.
But do you go over to your neighbor's house every day at 6:30 to watch the network news?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I agree with that. Since cars aren't the "in" thing any more, having been replaced in that capacity by computers, you should expect to see a decline in car ownership, but I don't think a dislike of cars is a secular trend. Plenty of young people like cars and many more would like to buy and drive them, but the problem is they don't have enough money to buy them and/or they don't like the current offerings. Just take one look at youth underemployment, and youth income vs. the price of cars and you can see what I'm talking about.
The youth underemployment line doesn't hold though. Youth underemployment, while high, is only a few points higher than during boom times. Car sales are down by more than the increase in underemployment.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
To me, the freedom of being without a car carries with it a responsibility to arrange for your own transportation, just as owning a car carries with it a responsibility to pay for the car's upkeep and operation, and comply with corresponding laws.

If being car-free means taking public transit or walking or belonging to a car share organization, then that is taking responsibility for your choices. But arranging your day so that you can beg rides from people with cars, and not take the responsibility of sharing in the costs associated with those rides, is freeloading plain and simple. And that is what I see a lot of among the younger people I work with who do not own cars. They are not "car free" by any stretch of the imagination; they simply do not own a car.

But do you go over to your neighbor's house every day at 6:30 to watch the network news?
I bet he streams TV online.

Freeloading is not what is causing the trend. It's coming from the top, not the bottom. The increase in car-free is in high-rent, high-employment, high-education attainment areas. Car ownership is up in the opposite types of communities. Your pal notwithstanding.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If being car-free means taking public transit or walking or belonging to a car share organization*, then that is taking responsibility for your choices. But arranging your day so that you can beg rides from people with cars, and not take the responsibility of sharing in the costs associated with those rides, is freeloading plain and simple. And that is what I see a lot of among the younger people I work with who do not own cars. They are not "car free" by any stretch of the imagination; they simply do not own a car.
Obviously that's not taking responsibility, but I don't think anyone here has defended begging for rides. The people who live in the apartment upstairs from me; several don't own cars. They don't need them for their daily routinue. I suspect they probably get rides from their housemates, if one is going to the supermarket or some other errand or trip. Are they completely free? Probably not. But it's silly for them to own a car that they'd barely use, especially since most of the non-car owners are students.

*Add bicycling. At one time, I did avoid getting rides at times because I was proud I could get everywhere by bicycle.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,952,939 times
This is as irritating as going to Boston and hearing people use the term "northeast" as a synonym for "New England" then being told that "Philly isn't the northeast, it's the mid-atlantic."

Yeah, OK, sorry I'm not still wearing a hat and gloves in May.

The Northeast = the mid-atlantic + new england.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
This is as irritating as going to Boston and hearing people use the term "northeast" as a synonym for "New England" then being told that "Philly isn't the northeast, it's the mid-atlantic."
The only difference is that the super overwhelming majority of people in Philly will tell you that they're in the Northeast. The most common reply you get from Washingtonians is, "We're neither." Even MDAllStar will say it's neither and he was born and raised in DC. Could there possibly be anyone more pro-Washington, DC on this forum than him?????

Quote:
As the hub of the nation's government, Washington is always home to thousands of newcomers, some of whom cling to their hometown identities. Those who arrive from the North often see the area as Southern, and those from the South feel a Northern vibe.

But Greg Carr, who grew up in Nashville, sees Southern markers here. Carr, chairman of Afro-American Studies at Howard University, said he recognizes the fading signs of the Old South in this region.

"For black folks, this is still very much a Southern city," Carr said. "D.C. has very little in common with a stereotypical Northern city."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2011011504186

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-03-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or