U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM

32,382 posts, read 59,858,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or you can live in cities or parts of cities that single family homes, where you use your car or walk to a business district. There are such options in cities of various sizes.
Exactly; it is possible to have the best of both worlds with homes with a bit of green space, and neighborhood business districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not all cities are dirty, only the really large ones like NYC, Philly, Chicago, etc. and I realize not all cities are that way as I have traveled.
Even small cities have their less-than-aesthetic neighborhoods, some on a block-by-block basis. Small cities are just like large cities, except that they're ... smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 01:49 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,113,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
People stinking up the train eating hot pickles and cheese puffs.
Nothing drives me more crazy than hot pickles and cheese puffs!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM

1,211 posts, read 887,150 times
The OP needs to find a different city, wherever you live sounds horrible. I find that our single family in an urban area offers the best of both worlds. As for quiet - the suburbs being quiet is a huge myth - leaf blowers, lawn mowers, open flat areas with no noise insulation, etc. Urban SIDE STREETS are the quietest living arrangement I know of.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,599,497 times
There are clean areas in all big cities. Whether or not they are affordable for the average person is another question.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,104,114 times
In some cities, they are more affordable than the burbs.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM

389 posts, read 400,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
In some cities, they are more affordable than the burbs.
Ya like Detroit

Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,834,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Except there are very clean areas in ALL of those cities.
Clean areas of Philly? Not very many, and only relatively; it isn't called Philthadelphia for nothing. And in both NYC and Philly, the mass transit is filthy everywhere. Between the homeless people and drunks urinating all over, litterers leaving trash, and the plain filth of the system (lubricant residue, brake dust, water intrusion, etc) it's just nasty.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM

389 posts, read 400,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Clean areas of Philly? Not very many, and only relatively; it isn't called Philthadelphia for nothing. And in both NYC and Philly, the mass transit is filthy everywhere. Between the homeless people and drunks urinating all over, litterers leaving trash, and the plain filth of the system (lubricant residue, brake dust, water intrusion, etc) it's just nasty.
When I used the trains in NYC they seemed relatively clean... now the floors where the trains pull in and the tracks are filthy(not sure how that effects people tho, just walk around stuff or at worst you have shoes on) but other than that I saw many clean areas as well as many dirty areas.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
The OP needs to find a different city, wherever you live sounds horrible. I find that our single family in an urban area offers the best of both worlds. As for quiet - the suburbs being quiet is a huge myth - leaf blowers, lawn mowers, open flat areas with no noise insulation, etc. Urban SIDE STREETS are the quietest living arrangement I know of.

No matter how many people say they love their quiet suburb, some city person often comes on to complain about leaf blowers. I nor most of my neighbors have leaf blowers, and they are only a seasonal thing anyway, kind of like snowblowers in the winter, which, again, few of my neighbors nor I have. Do city lawns not get mown? What do you mean by "no noise insulation"? The urban legend that there are no trees in the suburbs?

One of the urbanists on here started a thread complaining about "too many trees" in the cities.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-05-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 05:10 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,019,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No matter how many people say they love their quiet suburb, some city person often comes on to complain about leaf blowers. I nor most of my neighbors have leaf blowers, and they are only a seasonal thing anyway, kind of like snowblowers in the winter, which, again, few of my neighbors nor I have. Do city lawns not get mown? What do you mean by "no noise insulation"? The urban legend that there are no trees in the suburbs?

One of the urbanists on here started a thread complaining about "too many trees" in the cities.
I can't name any US city that is 100% concrete jungle. Sure, there are areas that are definitely more than others, but most cities have grass, flowers, trees, etc. Obviously on average it's quieter in the suburbs and yes there is some noise pollution sometimes (i.e. lawn mowers) but it's a different ball game obviously. In the summer as I live in downtown Chicago, I hear mowers every once in awhile because I have a park that's a few acres which my windows face. No big deal though. I do not mind it. My place is actually fairly quiet as I'm writing you this at 6pm. In fact, I can hear some birds chirping and kids playing outside even though I'm on the 25th floor. It's actually like this quite a bit. I grew up in a suburban environment and right as I'm writing you this, it's about the same as what I grew up in. Obviously though in the city, I will have sirens and cabs every once in awhile so that's the difference maker.

"too many trees" in the cities? That person is DEFINITELY in the minority. Anybody who says that is an idiot. Plain and simple. I think that in Chicago, just like many other cities such as LA, Boston, Philadelphia, etc, we are lucky to have tree lined streets even in the densest areas. Urbanism is not about getting rid of nature in cities. Just ridiculous to hear if someone thinks that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or