Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times

Advertisements

Can one get into planning with just a GIS degree? I am looking at getting my masters in GIS and taking some planning courses too. I see that planning departments are hiring for GIS all the time but I was wondering if it is just to perform a specific function or can you learn planning altogether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
I got in with just a BS in geography, GIS elective classes and some work experience. No masters.

Planning agencies might not want to admit it but it is good for them to have people with backgrounds other than planning. Too many geeks, wonks, and evangelists tend to alienate "normal people." And I've noticed a few shortcomings from the bulk of the planning community, e.g. understanding how real estate markets work, that you can use to your advantage.

That being said it would be beneficial to take an urban planning/geography track if one is available. Also you might not be able to get into say Portland's planning dept. and have to settle for something smaller and/or less visible.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Can one get into planning with just a GIS degree? I am looking at getting my masters in GIS and taking some planning courses too. I see that planning departments are hiring for GIS all the time but I was wondering if it is just to perform a specific function or can you learn planning altogether?
I don't see why not. Some of the planners that do not have urban planning degrees who work with me (or used to work with me) at the city where I am employed have college degrees in geography, history, landscape architecture, and political science.

[you don't really need a planning degree to do this job]

Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM

That's great news!

But are the non planning grads doing actual planning or is it more like doing other things in a planning department?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 PM

They're working on a variety of development projects just like I am. The college degree is just a college degree. An urban planning degree doesn't make you a better planner than one without it. How effective a planner one is ultimately depends on experience.

Keep in mind that, depending on who you are working for (and/or where), you may find yourself engaged in work that requires an understanding of planning theory. If that is the case, a planning degree may be required (and essential to do the job - although I doubt that somewhat). Such places where you may find that this is the case include regional planning agencies that develop long-range plans or develop policies for future action. Planners doing that are working on, for example, analyzing regional development on decades-long timeframes; developing environmental regulatory framework; planning transportation networks; and organizing political action.

But where I work, I do what I call 'nuts and bolts' stuff. Day-to-day work such as reviewing subdivisions, shopping centers, and industrial buildings; environmental reviews; plan checks for construction; code enforcement matters; doing analyses at the local level; and generally engaging with the public daily.

[the closest equivalent I can think of is the difference between a scientist and an engineer]

Old 05-05-2013, 12:08 PM

Well I hope to be done with a GIS degree next year. I want to intern at the city's planning department and I hope to get some GIS planning courses under my belt too.

So with BA in Government/Economics double major and a GIS degree and an internship put me in the right path?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Well I hope to be done with a GIS degree next year. I want to intern at the city's planning department and I hope to get some GIS planning courses under my belt too.

So with BA in Government/Economics double major and a GIS degree and an internship put me in the right path?
Yes.

[and if not in the planning department, with that education background consider the city manager's office]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning