Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:16 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What about Downtown Plaza in Sacramento, Santana Row in San Jose, and Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek? Other examples?

Are these malls tourist infested or do locals use them too?
The Domain, in Austin TX.

It seems like an awful lot of the outdoors/new urbanism malls are higher-end retail, though - Louis Vuitton, Tiffanys, Versace. I haven't been to many where someone could take their kids shopping for back-to-school clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Why is everyone so uptight about panhandlers? Is it really so hard to look someone in the eye and say "No." or if you're feeling nice "No, sorry."? It's not like your the first person they've heard it from today.

I do it all the time. It doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't interrupt my conversations, it doesn't make me feel guilty. It's no more disruptive than some idiot tourist asking me for directions, and I tolerate that.

Monday I was buying a bacon and egg sandwich from a food cart and some guy came up asking if I would spare some change. I said "No, sorry." as I put my $18.75 in change back in my wallet. Without another word, he turned around and asked the same thing from some messenger-bag wearing hipster. Messenger bag freaked out, ducked his head, and went scampering off. WTF?

What's the issue? It's not like this is India where panhandlers and swarms of kids will mob you and stick their hands in your pockets. Some homeless guy, or some guy pretending to be homeless, isn't going to whip out a gun or a knife and start attacking at random--just because the 1000th person said "no" to him today. You have to watch our for that kind of behaviour from the passive-aggressive cube-dweller, wingnut, parking-lot road rager, or bullied-until-psycho millennial at your "safe" suburban mall.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
as I put my $18.75 in change back in my wallet.
I agree with your post but I am amazed at your $1.25 breakfast sandwich! What a value!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM

512 posts, read 1,017,989 times
Quote:
Why is everyone so uptight about panhandlers? Is it really so hard to look someone in the eye and say "No." or if you're feeling nice "No, sorry."? It's not like your the first person they've heard it from today.

Its probably the smell. As I said before, I dont mind them anywhere else but San Fran. They are aggressive, smell, and everywhere downtown.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

I am just wondering are their suburban moms and moms in general that go to downtown areas to shop? Do they feel safe? Are downtown malls just as conveniant as suburban malls?
unless if they work downtown, I doubt it.
imo, it's way more convenient to go to the suburban malls. free parking and a large variety of stores and food under one roof.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:09 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Quote:

I do it all the time. It doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't interrupt my conversations, it doesn't make me feel guilty. It's no more disruptive than some idiot tourist asking me for directions, and I tolerate that.

Monday I was buying a bacon and egg sandwich from a food cart and some guy came up asking if I would spare some change. I said "No, sorry." as I put my $18.75 in change back in my wallet. Without another word, he turned around and asked the same thing from some messenger-bag wearing hipster. Messenger bag freaked out, ducked his head, and went scampering off. WTF?

What's the issue? It's not like this is India where panhandlers and swarms of kids will mob you and stick their hands in your pockets. Some homeless guy, or some guy pretending to be homeless, isn't going to whip out a gun or a knife and start attacking at random--just because the 1000th person said "no" to him today. You have to watch our for that kind of behaviour from the passive-aggressive cube-dweller, wingnut, parking-lot road rager, or bullied-until-psycho millennial at your "safe" suburban mall.
who said panhandlers were the biggest concern? Some are drunk, some have mental disabilities and yell at people, and some have even pedofiled young kids before. One in the news the other day stole a kid's skate board.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
imo, it's way more convenient to go to the suburban malls. free parking and a large variety of stores and food under one roof.
Free parking wouldn't matter in Downtown S.F.--there's BART! I believe for downtown shopping to thrive to compete even bleed dollars from the suburbs, it needs accessible public transit, especially rapid forms such as commuter rail. Reducing the number of stores in a chain through efficiencies in transport and location/placement helps reduce the carbon footprint, conserves resources, and reduces operating expenses.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Westlake Center in Seattle is undergoing expansion with the addition of Zara at 31,000 square ft will only be 1,000 square ft smaller than Manhatan's Flagship store. Also Nordstroms Flagship Rack Store opened in the mall earlier in the year. So both major malls downtown seattle are doing well. Westlake is a rail hub for the monorail, and the light rail.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
FWIW, on one of your original examples, most of downtown Sacramento's mall is becoming slated to become the new Kings arena. A pretty steady decline since the last renovation in the 1990s, though I was (somewhat blindly) optimistic that a new ownership group would have made good on their promise to rethink the entire structure of the mall with more retail facing the streets instead of all internally. There was some evidence that gentrification and increasing residential options in the area would have naturally made more options for the space more viable, but who knows? Instead, there'll be a big arena. The place never really did feel unsafe to me, but, as expected, lots of kids hanging out, with most of the vagrants pushed towards the periphery, and not nearly as many shoppers as the comparable suburban malls.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Downtown Bellevue's Bellevue Collection mall is undergowing a 1.2 billion dollar expansion when done it will have 4 hotels and 2 million+ square ft of retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning