U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
On the other hand, if you're on a fantasy annexation spree, Brookline seems more obvious. The northern portions of it are unquestionably urban.
It does. And it's also closer to downtown than some of the other cities listed. Of course, outside of fantasyland, Brookline has opposed annexation since 1873.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 PM

134 posts, read 162,214 times
I'd like to see Minneapolis, St. Paul, and some of the suburbs with "centers" consolidate and/or annex some of their neighbors. The Twin Cities is a lot smaller than a lot of other metros, but it still has a huge number of tiny municipalities. It'd be nice to see these areas actually be large enough to invest in themselves rather than barely scraping along.

Twin Cities Municipalities and Urban Areas
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Twin_Cities_7_Metro_map.png

Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM

3,505 posts, read 4,961,296 times
St. Louis MO cannot ever expand its limits. The state constitution forbids doing so.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Annexation usually means a municipal government taking over unincorporated land. Consolidation is when multiple municipal governments merge to form a single one. However, if a large municipality "consolidates" with a small one (as is occasionally suggested about Essex and Hudson counties in NJ, for instance), it might as well be an annexation.
Not in all cases. A few years ago, Omaha Nebraska annexed the city of Elkhorn.
Elkhorn, Nebraska

Going back about 117 years ago, Denver annexed the town of Highland.
Highland, Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are just two examples. There are many areas of many cities that used to be independent municipalities. Annexation usually means (to me) that the larger city takes in a smaller municipality, incorporated or unicorporated.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 AM

12,299 posts, read 15,199,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
Boston should definitely consolidate its border with Suffolk County which would add Chelsea, Winthrop and Revere. It should also annex Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, Malden,and Lynn because all of those areas are urban and only add 39.92 square miles to the city.

New city stats for Boston with these places added.
Population: 1,117,409
Area: 88.35
Density: 12,647
I believe the railroad companies of the 19th Century kept Boston from expanding so their executives and friends could commute from the suburbs, and that is why Boston is so compact. After over a century of being suburbs, it would be hard to convince them to join the central city.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:53 PM

457 posts, read 437,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Unless I'm wrong, there's no land connection between Lynn and Revere - Saugus is in the way, which isn't exactly urban.

On the other hand, if you're on a fantasy annexation spree, Brookline seems more obvious. The northern portions of it are unquestionably urban.
They share a border but not on land it is in a river that empties into the ocean and it is very small but if you search the two on google earth the highlighted areas do touch.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM

457 posts, read 437,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So Boston can win in more City-vs-City polls.
The main benefit would be that they form the walkable urban area and it would make it easier to coordinate transit and other issues if they were under a single gov't. At least thats what I was thinking.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM

8,133 posts, read 6,682,315 times
My city should annex the three surrounding departments (sorta counties), in other words triple in size population-wise and physically expand 7-fold:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uronne.svg.png

There were discussions about the possibility of a political greater Paris (much like Greater London), but nowadays Grand Paris is the name of a (massive) subway extension project. Needless to say, pretty much all the mayors, including Paris', opposed the project. Personally, I live in one of the three surrounding departments and I consider myself a Parisian. I couldn't care less about the tiny municipality I'm living in. Given the numerous public housing estates around here, a greater Paris would greatly lower local taxes. On a more general basis, it would help redistribute the wealth between the well-off parts of the inner "suburbs" and the poor ones. It would also prevent local mayors to build more social housing in already poverty-stricken areas just to get re-elected (like what's happening where I live).

Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,005,466 times
Personally, I wish my hometown had annexed fewer communities. It is, as it stands, a massive, uncoordinated, unwieldy monster. I think smaller, more responsive communities sharing the cost of city services would have been more appropriate.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,714,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It does. And it's also closer to downtown than some of the other cities listed. Of course, outside of fantasyland, Brookline has opposed annexation since 1873.

Boston had at that time just annexed several towns, in a desperate bid to maintain its Protestant majority. By the time they got around to Brookline, it was clear the effort was failing, and Brookline stayed out of Catholic Boston.

I'm pretty sure Brookline has a Jewish majority, and has for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or