Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,713,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That would be fiscally irresponsible and characteristic of bad city management to take on another town's liabilities, obligations, responsibilities, etc. I can't imagine the taxpayers willingly accepting the problems of a no-name neighboring town.

[nothing you've written thus far makes for a compelling argument]
yeah but pushing growth in the consolidated town, would be better than pushing for sprawl growth in the original town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
I've become a proponent of intergovernmental co-operation rather than consolidation, e.g. joint taxing districts.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,451,532 times
With such income inequality in the US, there can be massive differences in wealth between neighboring municipalities. I think this is the real reason consolidation is not common. It would be tough to quantify the benefits of consolidating Baltimore City and Baltimore County, whose median income is more than twice the city's.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
With such income inequality in the US, there can be massive differences in wealth between neighboring municipalities. I think this is the real reason consolidation is not common. It would be tough to quantify the benefits of consolidating Baltimore City and Baltimore County, whose median income is more than twice the city's.
It isn't, see here:

Baltimore County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Nassau County vs New York City is actually about two times.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,451,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It isn't, see here:

Baltimore County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Nassau County vs New York City is actually about two times.
I saw 30k and 60k somewhere. My mistake.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've become a proponent of intergovernmental co-operation rather than consolidation, e.g. joint taxing districts.
Agree that some level of intergovernmental co-operation is a good thing (perhaps a regional planning agency) while consolidation may be too messy.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 AM

In Canada, local cities and towns have less rights and the provincial governments are more able to abolish them at will. In Nova Scotia, all the towns within Halfiax County were abolished and formed one regional municipality. Same happened in Cape Breton. There's less income difference between municipalities, the controversy was more between rural parts of Halifax County being overwhelmed by the more urban and suburban residents of the county. It's a bit strange seeing completely rural areas within the city limits.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM

16,468 posts, read 19,498,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Political pride is a big reason. So is the continual border battles over commercial development. Yes, it would avoid the ridiculous crossing from one town to another, then back into the first, then the second, all within a few miles.
This. Politicians don't want to lose their jobs. You should have seen the furor in Cleveland over cutting down the number of city councilmen. And we still have twice as many as ANY city our size.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,713,990 times
One of the towns, which is un-incorporated, in my area just had the community service district manager resign as well as two community service district board members. Rumors say another member is planning on resigning. The town is in a big mess after a sewage treatment plant flooded a bunch of neighborhoods in the town. There is no money to pay for the damages. No growth people have fought tooth and nail to keep development out, so only about two hotels and a mexican market is the only cash flow. Many are crying to consolidate into another town since the county or state refuses to step in and manage the town. There are still plans to tear out a small airport used by private pilots and build into a high-end tourist shopping, dining, and visitor area along the dunes. The same developer was the whistle blower who ended revealing the laws the community services district manager and board members have committed.

Even one mayor from a local town was in on the dirty business, and she resigned too. Both towns will either have to pay for higher taxes or decide to consolidate together and change their growth policies to allow for more development that will bring in tax revenue.

Unfortunately, I have not heard of any petition circulating for consolidation yet. I wrong a letter to the editor suggesting the idea and it got positive reviews by people I know and people I don't know. Yet, no one has taken the time to make action happen.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:07 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,932,428 times
You want to be careful about merging if the areas in question are politically opposite. It could spell disaster for at least one of them. Toronto went from moderate/liberal to far right overnight after consolidating several of its large conservative suburbs in 1998. Making possible the election of a vulgar boorish reactionary mayor named Rob Ford who is widely reported to be a long-time crack user. Bad idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning