U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,733,216 times
Reputation: 2538

Advertisements

I honestly can't think of a single instance history of such a massive and tragic misallocation of resources resulting is human misery on a scale that can't be imagined as the widespread growth of sprawl that has turn our country into depressing sprawl in city after city's. Never has so much been spent so poorly to make so many miserable. Billions...maybe trillions in development and what do we have to show for it but massive freeways clogged with traffic and lined with big box stores and fast food taking people slowly and wasted fully to houses of ticky tacky all to achieve some sort of dream of segregated single use subdivisions of SF detached homes on quarter acre lots.

Has there ever been an instance in history where a society so tragically misplaced its priorities?

 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,822,030 times
Reputation: 32310
In order to discuss your question and your comments about the question, we would first have to discuss the underlying assumptions that you have used. "Auto dependent suburbs" may be a "failure" to you, but they are certainly not a failure to many people - I would imagine they are not a failure to most people. Perhaps you would be "miserable" in suburbia - that is unarguable. But what causes you to generalize your reaction into a universal principle or assumption that people living in suburbia are miserable? Sprawl is a neutral concept; it simply indicates things are spread out. For you, it's depressing. What is depressing for me is the extreme form that arrogance can take, of which your post is an example. Any rational and objective discussion is almost completely precluded by the terms in which you have framed your non-argument.
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
550 posts, read 1,095,451 times
Reputation: 650
How exactly are the suburbs a failure?

Also, will you respond to my post (#104) in this thread regarding commute times.

Urban growth boundaries
 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,108 posts, read 16,186,798 times
Reputation: 12743
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
How exactly are the suburbs a failure?

Also, will you respond to my post (#104) in this thread regarding commute times.

Urban growth boundaries
Suburbs biggest failure is success. If they weren't so successful and desireable, then they wouldn't be as much of a failure. I mean, if suburbs were Detroit, Komeht wouldn't have a problem with them. Because they're not massive failures, they're the biggest failure ever. This is Komeht logic, and it is a massive success like suburbs.
 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:39 AM
 
2,661 posts, read 4,852,213 times
Reputation: 3482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I honestly can't think of a single instance history of such a massive and tragic misallocation of resources resulting is human misery on a scale that can't be imagined as the widespread growth of sprawl that has turn our country into depressing sprawl in city after city
Sprawl is not depressing! Sprawl = personal space and is beautiful. Overcrowded cities are depressing and dehumaninzing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I all to achieve some sort of dream of segregated single use subdivisions of SF detached homes on quarter acre lots.
A quarter acre is much too small for me now. My next home must have at least two acres to make up for all the suffering I am experiencing living in a crowded condo in the middle of a crowded city. A lakefront home with a five acre lot would even be better.
 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:39 AM
 
4,023 posts, read 3,280,691 times
Reputation: 2924
How do you explain the success of the suburbs? In a nutshell: white flight, which in turn lead to the postwar wholesale abandonment and deterioration of cities in NA. The cities then turned into cesspools of crime, drugs, poverty, gangs, etc which then prompted even more white flight. Life in the suburbs may be utterly stifling, bland and sterile, but compared to the rot and decay of the inner city they were like paradises.
 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Southern California
15,087 posts, read 17,628,402 times
Reputation: 10300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
...

Has there ever been an instance in history where a society so tragically misplaced its priorities?
Yes. When we, and other nuclear-capable nations, developed and constructed nuclear weapons, and the associated technology and infrastructure, for the purpose of destroying cities (including suburbs).

[nuclear warfare is a fascinating subject]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 06-07-2013 at 12:49 AM..
 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Southern California
15,087 posts, read 17,628,402 times
Reputation: 10300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Suburbs biggest failure is success. If they weren't so successful and desireable, then they wouldn't be as much of a failure. I mean, if suburbs were Detroit, Komeht wouldn't have a problem with them. Because they're not massive failures, they're the biggest failure ever. This is Komeht logic, and it is a massive success like suburbs.
It's kind of like a vegetarian trying to promote veggies at a steakhouse.

[medium rare, please]
 
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
 
520 posts, read 873,777 times
Reputation: 927
I love suburbs. Its all a matter of taste. This original post is comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top