Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 PM

501 posts, read 801,316 times

Advertisements

It is a blessing and a curse however I am not terrified. For example, I will catch the Marta rail if I have to go downtown atlanta or south side. It is not cost effective to drive my car although I would get there faster. I have low tolerance for the colorful characters that ride public transit, every time there is either those people who have serious mental issues, the inconsiderate ones who play their music without headphones, the flashers or fights. There is never a dull moment on the bus or rail.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Im not sure why you think a discussion you had in the past is relevant. I had a discussion too in the past. YOUR imagination is leading you astray. C'mon Katiana stop doing things like this.

Like I said im not against cars. Im not saying you cant drive. Im just pointing out an inconvenient truth.
It's relevant b/c a lot of stats were posted at that time. Do a search.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I know people who not only won't do these things but are scared of these things. They are scared it will destroy their lifestyle if a bike lane is built or public transit gets better?

As sprawl and the suburbs die these things are going to grow.
I have no problem as long has they pay their way. We don't need to subsidize more public transport I this time of cuts in more basic things. I think if a city wants it then pay for it or charge enough to. No freeride. let bikers pay say with a tax on bikes and licensing fee with testing. much like fishermen and hunter pay before it even get to market o each item. If they don't pay they don't support it.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:23 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have no problem as long has they pay their way. We don't need to subsidize more public transport I this time of cuts in more basic things. I think if a city wants it then pay for it or charge enough to. No freeride. let bikers pay say with a tax on bikes and licensing fee with testing. much like fishermen and hunter pay before it even get to market o each item. If they don't pay they don't support it.
They already pay their way. Ever hear of bus passes? The only free public transit I know of is The McKinney Avenue Trolley in Dallas.

Plus it's unfair that all Urban gas taxes go straight into funding highways to the suburbs. I think it's time for suburbanites to start paying their fair share of transportation costs.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Philadelphia taxes downtown parking.
If Philadelphia could figure out how to tax the air you breathe, they'd do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Plus it's unfair that all Urban gas taxes go straight into funding highways to the suburbs. I think it's time for suburbanites to start paying their fair share of transportation costs.
Say what? Suburban residents don't pay gas taxes when they fill up their gas-guzzling SUVs three times a week because they have to drive 20 miles to get to the grocery store and they cart their kids everywhere?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
They already pay their way. Ever hear of bus passes? The only free public transit I know of is The McKinney Avenue Trolley in Dallas.

A bus pass gives one even more of a subsidy on public transit. I am not opposed to public transit, but it's foolish to think that the cost to the consumer is anywhere near the cost of providing "The Ride".

Old 06-08-2013, 07:17 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A bus pass gives one even more of a subsidy on public transit. I am not opposed to public transit, but it's foolish to think that the cost to the consumer is anywhere near the cost of providing "The Ride".
The cost of reducing congestion is worth the subsidy usually.

Arguing over which is subsidized more is getting tiresome though.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The cost of reducing congestion is worth the subsidy usually.

Then go back to bed, LOL! (That was a joke.) I will bring up the subsidy that public transit gets every time someone starts screeching about cars, roads, etc being subsidized. I did say I am not opposed to public transit.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If Philadelphia could figure out how to tax the air you breathe, they'd do it.

Say what? Suburban residents don't pay gas taxes when they fill up their gas-guzzling SUVs three times a week because they have to drive 20 miles to get to the grocery store and they cart their kids everywhere?

Of course they do, but so do urban residents. Part of those tax dollars should be appropriated to expand public transportation. This goes back to the Op's original point. Why are people so afraid of public transportation? Why do people give special exemptions to highway funding, but berate the government for the drop in the bucket funding going towards public transportation.

Quote:
This is interesting logic. How many highways do you have to purchase a pass to use? Not many unless it's a toll road, and those are still subsidized.

Public transportation isn't meant to be profitable, but tons of things aren't. Public schools, libraries, Airports, and hospitals are not profitable, but guess what everyone benefits from them.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Then go back to bed, LOL! (That was a joke.) I will bring up the subsidy that public transit gets every time someone starts screeching about cars, roads, etc being subsidized. I did say I am not opposed to public transit.
Of course, someone could bring up that cars and roads are subsidized when anyone starts screeching about public transit is subsidized.

It could be interesting if someone posted detailed numbers or studies on amounts, instead of just a back and forth on a shouting match between cars vs public transit. But I'm sure we've had that, too, a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning