Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:42 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What you're not getting is that people on this thread are telling you that your assumptions are way off base, but you keep repeating the same old song ...

Except that no one here is afraid of public transit. FAIL.

Correctamundo!
They are not. Personally I know hundreds of people that feel this way. People are. This thread is about them.

FAIL

Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM

What people don't realize is driving is more expensive then public transit but it is subsidized so drivers don't shoulder the cost.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What people don't realize is driving is more expensive then public transit but it is subsidized so drivers don't shoulder the cost.
Honey, public transit is subsidized as well. The rider doesn't pay anywhere near the full cost.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM

21,855 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
They are not. Personally I know hundreds of people that feel this way. People are. This thread is about them.

FAIL
Name ten of the hundreds of people here that are afraid of public transit.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times
Quote:
You gotta be yanking our chains. As if public transit isn't subsidized? Do we live in the same universe?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
But there's generally no reason to cut off your nose to spite your face. Even if public transit is in most cases just going to be inferior to driving, that doesn't mean you out of spite penalize driving. Now, if there's some reason for it such as congestion, that would make sense. Where I live, where "rush hour" means the freeway runs at 60 instead of 75-80... well, that'd just be stupid.
As long as there's adequate public transit access that restricting downtown parking doesn't cause an actual downturn in the CBD, it's sort of a win-win, as you get to cut whatever city subsidies are being provided to parking, and get better utilization of the mass transit system.

That said, it's going to eventually reach homeostasis, as a bit less people drive downtown, traffic clears up, and parking availability rises again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Name ten of the hundreds of people here that are afraid of public transit.
I was actually scared to go on a public bus when I was 18 and ended up (finally) in an area which had them. Not for any racial or class reason - just because I had never been on one in my life and didn't know what to do.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Honey, public transit is subsidized as well. The rider doesn't pay anywhere near the full cost.

Darling they usually pay something. So it is less subsidized than roads. Also it is subsidized MUCH less. Roads are everywhere even empty rural areas.

If someone wants to make an argument against subsidies and handouts they should be against roads and cars 1000x times before making that argument against public transit.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As long as there's adequate public transit access that restricting downtown parking doesn't cause an actual downturn in the CBD, it's sort of a win-win, as you get to cut whatever city subsidies are being provided to parking, and get better utilization of the mass transit system.
When you mean parking subsidies, do you mean effects from parking minimums or actual government subsidies? My city definitely subsidies parking near the center but I don't think larger ones generally do.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genI ny View Post
You gotta be yanking our chains. As if public transit isn't subsidized? Do we live in the same universe?
It is and I never said it wasn't. It is just subsidized much less than roads. You are living in fantasy land if you think roads and car use isn't subsidized.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times
Quote:
Darling they usually pay something. So it is less subsidized than roads. Also it is subsidized MUCH less. Roads are everywhere even empty rural areas.

If someone wants to make an argument against subsidies and handouts they should be against roads and cars 1000x times before making that argument against public transit.
What do you think people drive buses on? Rainbows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning