U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,715,982 times

Advertisements

Matthew Yglesias is one of the few writers with a national platform who truly gets these things:

Free parking isn’t free: Parking mandates hurt America’s cities. - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,005,466 times
Responses to these propositions to reduce or eliminate parking requirements usually boil down to: Change! Scary! Bad!

They are rarely coherent responses to the actual proposition, which is to allow the market to decide how much parking is necessary.

Instead, the responses take on the fictional idea of zero parking, that a downward change in parking requirements would suddenly lead to a demolition of all available parking in favor of bike lanes, wider sidewalks, and new construction.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,199,676 times
It depends on the situation. Some developers put up buildings in areas where everyone drives and didn't provide enough spaces, causing everyone to park on city streets.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Responses to these propositions to reduce or eliminate parking requirements usually boil down to: Change! Scary! Bad!

They are rarely coherent responses to the actual proposition, which is to allow the market to decide how much parking is necessary.

Instead, the responses take on the fictional idea of zero parking, that a downward change in parking requirements would suddenly lead to a demolition of all available parking in favor of bike lanes, wider sidewalks, and new construction.
Also, fails to consider that developers will indeed provide parking where parking is desired and valued.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It depends on the situation. Some developers put up buildings in areas where everyone drives and didn't provide enough spaces, causing everyone to park on city streets.
If a developer puts up a building that doesn't adequately provide parking will be crushed by the market. The problem is forcing developers to oversupply parking (invariable WAY overestimated by planning departments) does a lot of things wrong at the same time: It encourages auto dependency, it subsidizes car drivers at the expense of others, it makes development particularly difficult on many lots limiting overall density and leaving gaps in the urban fabric, it creates all sorts of architectural challenges in creating giant garages and still have an attractive building.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,005,466 times
One place to start would be in SFH neighborhoods by devolving parking requirement decisions to the neighborhood level, such that the neighborhood can decide how much parking is good and necessary for it.

If a neighborhood thinks it's form is better suited to or can get away with a lower or zero off-street parking requirement, it might be a good idea to give it the authority to make that decision. The market value of those houses would then prove or disprove the neighborhood's hypothesis.

If neighbors voted for a minimum of zero off-street parking, and converted garages to other uses, but then had price growth flatten or decline as a result of increased parking scarcity, then the neighbors would stop converting garages and some might de-convert garages.

Last edited by darkeconomist; 07-11-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 05:06 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Why not let the market bare the number

Market forces are pretty good in many ways

Personally I would be more on board with a maximum rather than any minimums

Ultimately a minimum can force any parking at all whereas the developer may choose no parking without a minimum though the developer may also choose more parking if it increases the value of the renter or end buyer

I can say that many new construction in my city comes with parking (this is more residential in nature, I cant think of a major new commercial or retail building built recently in the core that had parking (actually scratch that Cira South does have a garage but is also is party of the 30th Station Amtrak garage)), and there is no shortage of people willing to pay hundreds of dollars a month to get them (many times on a wait list even if they live there)

I think regulations on the types of parking is more important than the absolute numbers or any minimum requirment, for example this building has ten stories of parking (and a wait list) yet does not impact the street level hardly (or if at all)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Phila...3.17,,0,-16.89

Also as an aside the 8 story garage accross the street just added a 18 story office portion on top (not pictured in this google image)

Philadelphia finally repealed mandatory parking in the core recently and it was a good thing

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM

5,593 posts, read 6,378,199 times
I'm against mandates of any kind for or against parking spaces - it should be up to the property owner, and in the end the prevailing number of parking spaces will be determined by the market. Of course some of the anti-car persuasion probably have a "kill or be killed" attitude with regards to car parking, so I'm sure they'll support removing minimum requirements, but for once I'm on board too so long as no maximums are imposed.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM

15,545 posts, read 13,536,591 times
I just wonder about leaving everything to the market; when the market screws up, it is often the gov that ends up holding the bag. I

n this case; an area developed with no/minimal parking, consumers eventually fins it a hassle and stop going in favor of another development. The develoment with no parking enters into a severe downturn and slowly turns into yet another ghetto area eventually.

A little extreme, but I do not buy into the theory that the market always knows best. I would actually say the market has caused things like numerous unwalkable areas, and clustered shopping areas; why four gas staitons on the corner, or a CVS and Walgreens across from each other? I know why, but from a walkable or mass transit point of view, makes no sense; I wish it was more developed like many European cities are.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
And the government does a bang up job with redundancy

Hmmm parking redundancy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or