Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times

Advertisements

The tend is to build rails to urban central district to keep business form moving outward. I think you will see more such rail I the future which includes between suburb area also. to connect them for higher usage. no rail for humans really makes much money as far as profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
To answer the OP question:

I don't know. I lost my crystal ball in the last move.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,791,353 times
It would make sense. A lot of suburban residents complain that rail is great for reaching downtown but "I don't work downtown." but the large cities still have the clout. It is very hard for lots of small suburbs to get together to form a pressure group to get funding started. Of course many say that the suburban office complex such lines serve is falling out of favor.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,668,241 times
There are two proposed light rail lines in Northern Virginia that could be considered suburb to suburb:

* Dulles International Airport to Manassas along VA-28
* Alexandria to Tysons Corner along VA-7

Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,087,961 times
That South Jersey Line isn´t geared towards commuters, though. It´s an excursion service, and FWIW, this is the first time I heard of it.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,914,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That South Jersey Line isn´t geared towards commuters, though. It´s an excursion service, and FWIW, this is the first time I heard of it.
That line used to have passenger rail service from Philadelphia to Cape May. Now there is only seasonal service from Richland to Cape May. Ironically NJ Transit owns the tracks and could easily restore full service to it if properly funded but right now more focus is on the proposed Camden-Glassboro rail line.

Cape May Seashore Line

Conductor Bob Garrett on the CMSL - YouTube

Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM

4,476 posts, read 6,725,202 times
Rail lines will be built if economic growth is expanded to the masses. If a high level of wealth is concentrated in a relatively small percentage of the population then the economic justification for mass transit expansion is unjustified. Those with wealth will fight against these projects because the taxes required to subsidized the expansion would need to come from the economically well off who are less likely to use mass transit.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,507,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The tend is to build rails to urban central district to keep business form moving outward. I think you will see more such rail I the future which includes between suburb area also. to connect them for higher usage. no rail for humans really makes much money as far as profit.
I wonder why you keep repeating this line in every post in regards to mass transit! Most people know that it has to be subsidised just like highways.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,791,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Rail lines will be built if economic growth is expanded to the masses. If a high level of wealth is concentrated in a relatively small percentage of the population then the economic justification for mass transit expansion is unjustified. Those with wealth will fight against these projects because the taxes required to subsidized the expansion would need to come from the economically well off who are less likely to use mass transit.
Actually the wealthy with political influence will make sure the high quality mass transit (trains rather than buses) will serve their neighborhood.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:14 AM

5 posts, read 7,783 times
As a local the green line is pretty useless as it is now. They have to pull that green line all the way down to the southern edge of Torrance, up Aviation and eventually connect to the expo line. Having to go east to the hood to the travel west is plain inefficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning