Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's because no one enforces cycling rules. Think if you could just plow through intersections running over pedestrians, ride the wrong way whenever you felt like it, etc in your car because no one ever enforced the rules. It'd be pandemonium. That's beginning to shift, San Francisco prosecuted the first vehicular manslaughter case against a cyclist in the country.
My friend got a ticket for "running" a red light on his bike (basically he treated it like a stop sign). People get bicycling tickets all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When I lived in Illinois, they would pull people out of the driver's license renewal line randomly to take the rules of the road test. I once was "chosen". I passed.

Are you saying drivers, at least most of them, DON'T take extra care when driving in crowded urban areas with lots of pedestrians?
Well, I definitely didn't say that. So no.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Although there are plenty of reports that cars aren't held responsible if they hit and injure/kill a pedestrian or cyclist.

SF Still Waiting for DA Gascón to “Send a Message” to Deadly Drivers | Streetsblog San Francisco

Sure, it's streetsblog, but it does seem like they're a lot. Police departments classify them as a majority of them as the pedestrian's fault. Maybe, but first it's the driver hitting the pedestrian, and I supsect there may be a windshield bias.
Streetsblog is pretty extreme. I think some of their expectations are pretty ridiculous. And at least for the LA version, they are kind of ingrates, never pleased with anything.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:05 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
My friend got a ticket for "running" a red light on his bike (basically he treated it like a stop sign). People get bicycling tickets all the time.
What do you mean, treated it like a stop sign? He stopped, then felt it was clear so he ran the light? That's dangerous and stupid, on a bike.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What do you mean, treated it like a stop sign? He stopped, then felt it was clear so he ran the light? That's dangerous and stupid, on a bike.
Didn't say it wasn't stupid, just saying that people definitely get tickets on bikes.

However, in his defense it wasn't like it was a huge commercial arterial street or anything. In Los Angeles some of the much smaller residential streets have stop lights, sort of like this: http://goo.gl/maps/YtzZW

At this street, if there were no cars around, I would probably cross on red as a pedestrian. The corner near my apartment is a small lighted intersection, which I (and just about everyone else) jay-walk across daily. http://goo.gl/maps/X64je

So I don't think it was that dangerous or stupid. But I agree that if bicyclists want to be treated with the same respect as cars they will need to follow the rules of the road (and get off the sidewalk!). As a mostly-pedestrian I'm not a huge fan of cyclists, and I agree a large portion of them violate the laws, often putting me (a pedestrian) in awkward / dangerous situations. I've actually had more encounters where I almost get hit by a bicyclist than I have with cars.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
I do better than 20MPH (sometimes > 30MPH, occasionally > 40MPH) on my bicycle. I'm not going that slow in my car. The idea is not to drive so slowly you don't kill the people you're hitting, the idea is to NOT HIT THE PEOPLE!!!!

Twenty is not plenty, as anyone in my neighborhood who drives will demonstrate (regardless of what they would say when asked).

Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I do better than 20MPH (sometimes > 30MPH, occasionally > 40MPH) on my bicycle. I'm not going that slow in my car. The idea is not to drive so slowly you don't kill the people you're hitting, the idea is to NOT HIT THE PEOPLE!!!!
If you stay on 20+ mph at flats regularly you go quite a bit faster than me (16 mph or so, sometimes less). That's a workout speed.

Anyhow, yes the idea is not to drive so slowly you don't kill people when you hit them but going slow gives you more reaction and a shorter breaking distance. As a pedestrian, I'd have to far more aware of traffic and crossing local residential streets if traffic was going at 45 mph rather than 20-25 mph.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,383,170 times
I know everywhere is different, but here in Memphis, major thoroughfares are often residential. The idea of going down Poplar Ave, which is also US 72, at 20 mph is crazy. People have things to do and places to go. We'd never get anything done at 20 mph.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 AM

861 posts, read 1,449,766 times
Maybe if the bicycle riding people quit trying to be one of the cars by riding on the road and rode on the sidewalks, there wouldn't be as much of a problem. But some of them are too bone headed to realize this.

I see it all the time here in my town. They choose to ride right on a busy road and the cars have to move over to avoid hitting them. Everytime I see the bike people riding like this I want to yell at them to get off the road. I just honk my horn instead and mutter "idiot" under my breath.

Last edited by CountryFisher; 07-27-2013 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Maybe if the bicycle riding people quit trying to be one of the cars by riding on the road and rode on the sidewalks, there wouldn't be as much of a problem. But some of them are too bone headed to realize this.

I see it all the time here in my town. They choose to ride right on a busy road and the cars have to move over to avoid hitting them. Everytime I see the bike people riding like this I want to yell at them to get off the road. I just honk my horn instead and mutter "idiot" under my breath.
You should Check your local jurisdictions laws on where bikes should have the right to ride.

On 20 MPH roads its quite comfortable to share the road with cyclists as they are going close to same speed as other traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning