Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,046,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I won't have to be walking, but i might want to consider it (even though I really couldn't - 7.5 miles to work) with the sardine packing of the Red Line and, i'm sure, the Belmont bus, since my buddy Addison will be going bye bye.
I'm not sure that I'll have a choice if they eliminate the #56. As it is the Blue Line is often too crowded for me to get on at Division St and I have to wait sometimes for a second or third train before I can board, but if they get rid of the Ashland, Division, Chicago, and North Ave buses, there will be no more cross town buses, and everyone will crowd the Blue Line making it useless to me because I'll never be able to get on it. Basically if these cuts go through, the city will effectively have cut off my ability to leave my neighborhood except to go downtown, and then only during during off hours, unless I want to do so by foot, bicycle, or by purchasing a car.

Yes, I've thought way too much about this.

Yesterday when our lovely politicians met to try and sort this out, the meeting ended early because they all ended up just shouting at each other.

...my proposal is to round them up and lock them all in the Division (blue or red, it doesn't matter to me, they both have just the right amount of funk, uh, odors, to liven things up) street subway stop with no food or water until they fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 AM

146 posts, read 796,254 times
The best mass transit system that I have used in The United States:

Toss-up: Portland or New York.

Best In World:
Seoul, South Korea (blows everything here away).

Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'm not sure that I'll have a choice if they eliminate the #56. As it is the Blue Line is often too crowded for me to get on at Division St and I have to wait sometimes for a second or third train before I can board, but if they get rid of the Ashland, Division, Chicago, and North Ave buses, there will be no more cross town buses, and everyone will crowd the Blue Line making it useless to me because I'll never be able to get on it. Basically if these cuts go through, the city will effectively have cut off my ability to leave my neighborhood except to go downtown, and then only during during off hours, unless I want to do so by foot, bicycle, or by purchasing a car.

Yes, I've thought way too much about this.

Yesterday when our lovely politicians met to try and sort this out, the meeting ended early because they all ended up just shouting at each other.

...my proposal is to round them up and lock them all in the Division (blue or red, it doesn't matter to me, they both have just the right amount of funk, uh, odors, to liven things up) street subway stop with no food or water until they fix it.
a couple of us on livejournal have decided there should be a pay per view battle to the death that could be aired on the LCD screens in the subways and on the TVs in the PACE buses. All proceeds going to the RTA. I'd pay to see it.

I've thought way too much about it too and then end up wanting to stab my eyes out. But then if I was blind I wouldn't be able to afford the paratransit either.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,299,210 times
VTA Light Rail
VTA Historic Trolley
Caltrain
Amtrak Capital Corridor
Altamont Commuter Express
BART (someday)
California HSR (hopefully someday)

Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,232,066 times
Seattle has some light rail under construction (to be ready in 2009):

Light Rail is on its Way

A plan to extend it was recently shot down.

Ken

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM

43,303 posts, read 44,021,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
In the New York region:

Under Construction:
2nd Avenue Subway

In the Pipeline:
Long Island Railroad connection to Grand Central
Metro-North connection to new Penn Station
"Access to the Region's Core" tunnel under the Hudson for NJ Transit and Amtrak
7 Subway extension to Hudson Yards
New transit hubs at World Trade, Moynihan Station, Penn Station
Extension of Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Tenafly

Pipe Dreams (or at least might as well be):
Express rail from Lower Manhattan to JFK
Newark-Elizabeth Rail Link
Freight rail tunnel from Bayonne, NJ to Brooklyn
Rail component over new Tappan-Zee span (and possibly up to Stewart Int'l Airport)
Under Construction Currently:

2nd Avenue Subway

Fulton Center (in Lower Manhattan and it will eventually connect to the World Trade Center site, PATH trains and Hudson River ferries at the World Financial Center.)

East Side Access (Long Island Railroad's connection to Grand Central Terminal)

Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,840,327 times
Some additions:

In San Francisco, the Central Subway is already under construction (that's what all that construction along Stockton St. near Union Square is). In the Bay Area, BART is under construction for about a 5 mile extension from Fremont to Warm Springs, near the southern end of Fremont. That would in turn facilitate the construction of BART further south to Berryessa in San Jose.

In Oakland, the Oakland airport connector is being built from the Coliseum BART station to Oakland airport. It's actually a modern cable car. Also Bus Rapid Transit from Downtown Oakland to San Leandro via International Boulevard has been approved, target completion date 2016.

In LA, the Orange Line now goes past Woodland Hills to Chatsworth Amtrak/Metrolink station.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMan View Post
Here in Los Angeles, we have:

The Red Line (Subway): Union Station (Downtown) to North Hollywood
The Purple Line (Subway): Union Station to Mid-Wilshire
The Blue Line (Light Rail): Downtown to Long Beach
The Green Line (Light Rail): Norwalk to Redondo Beach, mostly in the median of I-105
The Gold Line (Light Rail): Union Station to Pasadena/Sierra Madre
The Orange Line (Dedicated Busway): North Hollywood to Woodland Hills

Routes Under Construction:
The Gold Line extension (Light Rail): Union Station to East L.A.
The Expo Line (Light Rail): Downtown to Culver City

Routes Planned but not yet started:
The Purple Line Extension ("Subway to the Sea"): Mid-Wilshire to Santa Monica
The Expo Line Extension (Light Rail): Culver City to Santa Monica

Here's a map:
LA Metro Home | Getting Started (broken link)

We also have an extensive MetroLink system, which is the Commuter Train system in Southern California. Here's a map of that:

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/docum...trolinkMap.pdf

LA has a pretty poor reputation when it comes to public transport, but in reality the system is fairly extensive, and continues to grow.
In the time since this post, the Gold Line Eastside extension has been completed and really boosted that line's ridership; the Expo Line has been completed to Culver City; the Orange Line has been extended to Chatsworth.

Now the Expo Line Phase II from DTLA to Santa Monica is under construction with an opening in 2015; the Gold Line is being extended along the 210 freeway to Azusa, opening in 2014; the Crenshaw Line connecting the Expo Line to the Green Line and eventually LAX is in the very early utility-relocation phases, opening in 2018; the Regional Connector that will merge the Expo, Gold and Blue Lines into two huge N-S and E-W LRT lines from Azusa to Long Beach and East LA to Santa Monica - it is in the utility-relocation phase as well with a completion date of 2019; the Purple Line Extension was broken up into Phases - Phase I goes from Wilshire / Western to Wilshire / La Cienega and is in the utility-relocation phase - I can't find anything about the opening but I believe it's about 2020.

Now in the planning stages are the Sepulveda Corridor which will connect Sherman Oaks to Westwood and the Expo Line; the Van Nuys Corridor that connects Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and up to Sylmar, probably going to be an extension of the Orange Line; the Santa Ana Branch Corridor which would connect the Green Line southeast to Santa Ana; the Green Line has a planned extension to the South Bay and Torrance.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,808,945 times
This is an old thread! My metro area has comprehensive rail, regional and rapid transit, to center city. There are some proposed extensions to existing lines as well as a ground-breaking suburb to suburb line. Metra Connects : Proposed New Starts. I don't think there is funding for any of them. High speed rail is expected to start next year.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,383,170 times
Not much to speak of here in Memphis. A few short trolley lines downtown. We're a small enough city that I can drive anywhere in 15 minutes and parking is a breeze. I like the idea of rail, but it would make zero sense here. The short easy commutes here are one of the best parts of living here. I would hate to have to spend more than 15 minutes commuting. I have better things to do :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning