Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post

2011 Reduced Winter Schedule. People were standing in aisle.
MTA | Press Release | Metro-North | New Haven Line Reduced Winter Schedule Takes Effect on Monday

This had nothing to do power outages, infrastructure, etc. Plain and simple mismanagement. This is your govt at work. Once you give somebody a subsidy, an entitlement, they have no responsibilities anymore.
So you must not sit in any car traffic with your commute, the government must be doing good work for you in that category I can only assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What do you mean by the other line? There are four tracks, but it would be unreasonable and impractical to have another train line parellel just for redundancy. The NYC subway below about 59th street does have a lot of transit redundancy but the demand is high enough to support lines very similar that it doesn't cut into frequencies.
He means the high voltage power line. There are 2 feeding into the MTA substation. They were repairing/upgrading one and the other failed.

Any actual business would have insisted that instead of repairing/upgrading the existing line, a third redundant line be provided. Then you would repair/upgrade the existing line. This is what you get when the govt is in charge.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I've seen plenty of expressway jams caused by a lane closed for construction.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I've seen plenty of expressway jams caused by a lane closed for construction.
Heck, I have sat in that kind of traffic before. Even worse is when there are natural bottlenecks due to poor planning for future traffic. Yet this poster seems to only obsess about how horrible it is for mass transit.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Mass transit is great for several things:

1. tourism - people visiting from other countries don't have to rent a car and can get to the important stuff. Also, visitors flying in for conventions and trade shows and the like. Cities that want to encourage this kind of visitor should have good mass transit at least between the airport and the major sites.

2. Young and low income workers - enables them to get to work. All those janitorial staff at those fancy downtown hotels have to get to work somehow. Young people can't necessarily afford a car, and mass transit gives them a way to build up some savings and gain some experience while they build their careers.

3. Commuter trains to the suburbs - helps keep the city vital and prosperous with businesses, stores and restaurants patronized by professionals who can afford to live outside the urban boundaries. In some places (e.g. Boston) it's cheaper to live outside the city so that's where people go to raise families, then take the trains to work.

We need both private and public transportation. It's silly to condemn one or the other. Both are subsidized, and millions of jobs depend on road maintenance, automobile manufacture, and bus and train manufacture and maintenance. Transportation is a huge sector for employment and it's not going to change any time soon. And let's not kid ourselves; oil is heavily subsidized by the our military which has expended trillions of dollars and many lives over the decades, defending the oil lanes and propping up friendly regimes.

In addition:
1. Tourism: the tourism / hospitality staff is generally low paid. With out mass transit wages would have to increase significantly hurting tourism and its fantastic economic multiplier.
2. And middle age/middle class workers! In Boston, Chicago, SF, there were low and middle wage, young to old people using transit for work and everything else. Even if you could afford a car, you couldn't afford to park or didn't want the often additional transit time.
3. It helps supply the workers to the financial districts AND keeps the outer suburbs alive. A commuter rail stop does wonders for the real estate of a burb.
4. If there was no mass transit, the people that do drive now would suffer even worse commutes, which increases their costs and makes jobs in the city less attractive (which will hurt the financial/business districts in a multitude of ways)
5. There would be a large increase in need for parking, which really just does waste land area that could be use to better uses and would increase the costs of office space (which again harms businesses)

Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Any actual business would have insisted that instead of repairing/upgrading the existing line, a third redundant line be provided. Then you would repair/upgrade the existing line. This is what you get when the govt is in charge.
That's not true; a private business would have made a cost vs risk analysis about whether it was worth being temporarily non-redundant. The MTA did such an analysis also and decided against the third line. They chose unwisely in hindsight.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Nothing beats NJTransit's decision to leave trains in a flood zone during Hurricane Sandy.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Nothing beats NJTransit's decision to leave trains in a flood zone during Hurricane Sandy.
Or not spend any money to prevent subway tunnels from flooding or have their power sources all sitting next to the water with poor flood protection in place. These are the things I thought about during the time I sat without power for five days, or when I had to ride the bus to Manhattan for a couple months while they pumped water out of the subway tunnels.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Or not spend any money to prevent subway tunnels from flooding or have their power sources all sitting next to the water with poor flood protection in place. These are the things I thought about during the time I sat without power for five days, or when I had to ride the bus to Manhattan for a couple months while they pumped water out of the subway tunnels.
PATH is the Port Authority not NJ Transit. this was a classic photo:

http://static1.businessinsider.com/i...ion-floods.jpg

the path station nearby must be getting flooded. Manhattan gets a waterfall!

http://publichistorycommons.org/wp-c...-wtc-flood.jpg

I assume your area of Bayonne was out of the flood zone. Hoboken got hit hard — I think half the city was underwater.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hobo...=isch&imgdii=_

Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
PATH is the Port Authority not NJ Transit. this was a classic photo:

http://static1.businessinsider.com/i...ion-floods.jpg

the path station nearby must be getting flooded. Manhattan gets a waterfall!

http://publichistorycommons.org/wp-c...-wtc-flood.jpg

I assume your area of Bayonne was out of the flood zone. Hoboken got hit hard — I think half the city was underwater.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hobo...=isch&imgdii=_
We were lucky enough to be a few blocks in where the land is higher, closer to the water saw some serious flooding that blew out a few garages. Though we lost power in the middle of the storm only to later find out that the power station was flooded as well because there was no real protection for that. That was really annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning