Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Probably has far far far more to do with the junk we consume than the cities we design. But the cities are pretty awful nevertheless (worst cities by far in the first world with exception of a few good ones).

Don't need to bring in something that is empirically hard to defend do criticize the disaster of American planning over the last half century plus.

There's plenty of horribles that are undeniable from the congested freeways to the deplorable sprawl everywhere to the diasterous financial state of our municipalities to the terribly unsafe public realm killing vast numbers of people unnecessarily to the hollowing out of the core cities to the greatest misallocation of resources in the history of mankind and many many other problems that are the direct result of unbelievably bad city planning..without having to add obesity

It's an obvious question to ask, and certainly an important one. it isa serious health issue in this country. That is, the link between obesity and sprawl. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be addressed. It seems obvious to me that there is one.

People who eat too much and don't exercise, get fat. Why is that even a question?
Why do so many people join health clubs and gyms if not to lose weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:30 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I spent the summer in a remote village on op of a mountain in Oaxaca.
~600 people.
They had one phone. One truck. Intermittent running water. 2 flush toilets.
You basically had to climb up and down the mountain to get anywhere.

WHat they did have was 3 distilleries, tons of soda/candy/chips, satellite dishes, and oodles of fat people.

Sugar consumption has gone up tremendously in the last 60 years.
So has meat consumption.
Food as entertainment has blossomed everywhere into a regular event.

Funny. When I was reading this I was thinking of my time in Iquitos, Peru. Not exactly wealthy, people walked all over. There was TONS of obesity. It really surprised me. When I got away from the city where there wasn't the junk food / soda (i.e. the villages along the Amazon), there was almost none.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Cuz they are misinformed.

I know plenty of half-marathoners and people who work out regularly who are still overweight bc of how they eat.

Weight loss is 80% or more what happens in the kitchen.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:34 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

People who eat too much and don't exercise, get fat. Why is that even a question?

They do to lose weight and get in shape, but seriously, if they don't adjust their diet, they'll need to work many many hours a day to really lose weight. The most effective, and really only good way to lose weight, it to alter one's diet. They should exercise too. I wish this wasn't the case, I really do, but unfortunately its quite true.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:

I know plenty of half-marathoners and people who work out regularly who are still overweight bc of how they eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They do to lose weight and get in shape, but seriously, if they don't adjust their diet, they'll need to work many many hours a day to really lose weight. The most effective, and really only good way to lose weight, it to alter one's diet. They should exercise too. I wish this wasn't the case, I really do, but unfortunately its quite true.
It isn't simply a matter of eating less. Those starvation diets never work. And they are not healthy. You still need to consume around two to three thousand calories per day (depending on your height) to get an adequate level of nutrients. You can cut your calories in half to lose weight but you are also cutting your nutrient intake in half, which will make you more prone to disease and sickness. They never work for long because you will gain the weight back very quickly. The only healthy and effective way to lose weight is to eat a normal diet with adequate calories while getting daily regular exercise. Starving yourself doesn't work.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:

Quote:

Yep, there are a million examples of this. Exercise is just a small part in someone's body fat percentage, diet is the overwhelming factor.

A person can look at powerlifting for example and see some very overly fat people engaged in that sport. Strong as an ox, exercise constantly, yet their diet has them pack on the pounds (point is to be as strong as possible). In my jiu jitsu, there are people that have been overweight since I started at my school a few years ago; intense exercise yet still maintaining that 30% body fat.

The military is another example, where the training is pretty standardized; which means in theory no one should have weight issues. But sure enough, there are plenty of people that cannot seem to curb their bad eating habits, and get hit on the PT assessment.

Anyone involved in the exercise industry on any level knows diet is the overwhelming main factor in a person's body fat.

Look at that poster up in the exercise forum (forget his name right now); he simply changed his diet and dropped thirty pounds without hardly exercising at all.

As I stated earlier, walking is overrated when it comes to burning calories. One mile is around 100 calories, so even by the OP's own link, a European does not even average one mile a day worth of walking.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
It isn't simply a matter of eating less. Those starvation diets never work. And they are not healthy. You still need to consume around two to three thousand calories per day (depending on your height) to get an adequate level of nutrients. You can cut your calories in half to lose weight but you are also cutting your nutrient intake in half, which will make you more prone to disease and sickness. They never work for long because you will gain the weight back very quickly. The only healthy and effective way to lose weight is to eat a normal diet with adequate calories while getting daily regular exercise. Starving yourself doesn't work.
Who the heck said starve yourself?

Your info is not very sophisticated...do more research.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Reducing calories and starving are two separate things. What someone's maintenance calories and excess calories needs depends on much more than their height. Again, common knowledge for anyone in the exercise industry.

By the way, this: "You can cut your calories in half to lose weight but you are also cutting your nutrient intake in half..." is 100% false. Many factors go into what is considered cutting in half, including how much in the first place, and what the heck the person is eating.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
The most effective, and really only good way to lose weight, it to alter one's diet. They should exercise too. I wish this wasn't the case, I really do, but unfortunately its quite true.
You can exercise your weight down, but it has to be hard exercise. Bust your butt at a fitness pace on a bicycle (no leisurely riding) for an hour, that's 800+ calories. Walking? Forget it, you'd have to walk all day to make a dent. If you can work the whole day while also using a treadmill (some people can; I can't) that should do the job.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I think the obesity epidemic is a result of high crime and the fear to let children outside to play. You cannot let children out of your sight safely anymore and most of us do not have 12 hours to go outside and watch them. My children used to play outside most of their waking hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning