U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,693,590 times

Advertisements

If you had complete control over your region/metropolitan area what would you do? The economic and urban development. What industries would you welcome? What infrastructure projects would you envision? What would the future project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:10 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
With a fantasy like generous abundant tax revenue base, NIMBY override, and bypassing controversy? OK then, here we go!

For Albuquerque, change the zoning on the Central Ave corridor to higher density between Old Town and Nob Hill. Development with local flare and character, say some three to four story faux adobe row housing with ground level retail.

A new light rail line down Central Ave (subway through the most dense parts) starting on the West Side around Coors and Central and then down the Central Ave corridor connecting Old Town, Downtown, UNM Campus, Nob Hill, and the Uptown Shopping district.

A commuter rail line with elevated right of way when appropriate from Rio Rancho, to the Cottonwood Mall area, Journal Center, through downtown with a light rail and Rail Runner transfer point at Alvarado Station and continuing on to the Airport with a stop on Gibson enroute.

A couple of new signature skyscrapers for downtown. One would be built for residential high rise, another for office space. Fill in downtown parking lots with more midrise construction.

Increase the filming industry/Hollywood activity appeal here. Lots of sunny days, open spaces, and inexpensive business costs.

With all the planned increases for infill more congestion on the interstates is inevitable and ABQ has no spur or beltway freeways. Construct a 3/4 circumference beltway starting in the north at I-25 between Bernalillo and Algodones, through the western periphery of Rio Rancho and the West Mesa, a modern flyover interchange at the west side I-40 crossing, heading a little further south for a few miles then turning east through the South Valley below the airport and Kirtland and joining up with I-40 around Tijeres Canyon.

This would all be very ambitious for Albuquerque, and I wouldn't expect it to catch up to Denver or Phoenix's tier level. I'd say it would be nice to see Albuquerque's potential catch up to Salt Lake City metro's tier level in terms of infrastructure and prosperity. Well........it was fun playing the pipedream game.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 12-14-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 08:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Not sure if I should do Phoenix or Tucson...

Phoenix: Create more urban-like or high density neighborhoods, especially in and around Tempe and Phoenix. This would include retail shops on the bottom, apartments above it. STOP ALL OF THE UNNECESSARY SPRAWL, let Phoenix fill in to it's current boundaries. A better skyline would be nice. I'd also add a better public transportation system. Improve the light rail to reach all parts of town. Some kind of expressway/freeway idea that runs northward from north Scottsdale to Cave Creek would be great as well, or at least expand lanes on Tatum and Cave Creek road. Industries? One with a big presence here in Phoenix would be great, since there isn't one as it is. Maybe improve solar energy industry, since, well, we have a ton of sun here. And maybe another industry that could bring more tourism and generate revenue... not sure what that would be. Financial services are pretty big here too, maybe that can expand. I'd also like to create more small business here.

Tucson: Create some kind of east-west expressway. I'd improve the damn roads, they're terrible. Like Phoenix, light rail should be expanded if it exists. Perhaps give a better business climate since Tucson is terrible at that. Improve fourth avenue. Like Phoenix, it is low density, maybe some high density areas near the U of A would be great for us college kids. I haven't been here long enough to think of anymore ideas for Tucson.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 AM

2,958 posts, read 3,816,840 times
For Seattle, I would build an extensive monorail system throughout every neighborhood in the city and out into the suburbs. Monorail is preferred over subway since subways aren't practical for Seattle given our many hills.

I would also build a high-speed rail line that connected downtown Seattle to both downtown Bellevue and downtown Tacoma.

I would then focus on developing downtown Tacoma will a bunch of residential and office towers. I would try to attract a bunch of finance companies to relocate their headquarters in Tacoma, so that Seattle can be the center of the tech industry and Tacoma the center of the finance industry. Having just one bug city is boring and I'd like Tacoma to be a fun, dense, rival city!

If only this could be real...

Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,693,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
For Seattle, I would build an extensive monorail system throughout every neighborhood in the city and out into the suburbs. Monorail is preferred over subway since subways aren't practical for Seattle given our many hills.

I would also build a high-speed rail line that connected downtown Seattle to both downtown Bellevue and downtown Tacoma.

I would then focus on developing downtown Tacoma will a bunch of residential and office towers. I would try to attract a bunch of finance companies to relocate their headquarters in Tacoma, so that Seattle can be the center of the tech industry and Tacoma the center of the finance industry. Having just one bug city is boring and I'd like Tacoma to be a fun, dense, rival city!

If only this could be real...
I agree with what you have for Tacoma though it will never truly be a "rival" of Seattle on the national level but I would love to see the city grow. I think tacoma's urban core need to to rejuvenated, taken some to the rail yards by th port and turning it into a large center park kinda like Seattle, I would also focus on becoming a green city and turn their waterfront into a great attraction. I would love to see people from Seattle one day taking a ferry or the rail to Tacoma to spend a day in the city.

What I would do for the metro area: first and foremost I would construct a tunnel under the pugetsound from burien to vashon island and vashon to the kitsal peninsula. I think connecting the region as a whole is extremely important for growth on the area and alittle urban relief as the area grows. I would totally revitize Bremerton with its new found proximity to Seattle. Lobby for the state to open a new university there (an institute for technology) and lobby for a privately funding medical research university (tell Bill Gates to fund his own university for the area. Try to attract energy and technical businesses to open up a regional office or headquarters in the city. The city will focus on smart development (green living, mid rise and high rises) and the it will have a city core much like Bellevue. The focus of the city will be education and energy. The city will build ups it's waterfront and become a top place to live. I would have a "higher" speed rail connect Seattle Bellevue, Tacoma, and Bremerton, maybe even Olympia and Everett. Focus on smarter groth in the south sound area.

For the city of Seattle: expand light rail into every major neighborhood. Expand the urban core through dodo into Georgetown neighborhoods. Turn the dodo district into a high density entertainment district with an addition of a new cruise ship port where pier 44 (I think) is current. Add in arts district into the Georgetown area with addition of more creative museums, theaters, and a large Seattle opera house. That's would I would do obviously cost Lot of money but I believe a lot of the private industries could invest the help the area grow which only helps them grow in the process

Old 12-16-2013, 06:01 PM

929 posts, read 843,383 times
portland
longer orange and green line.
longer trains
more 5+ story buildings along light rail

that would be nice

Old 12-17-2013, 11:41 AM

601 posts, read 791,821 times
Here's my list for Charlotte:

Mass Transit:
  • Extend the Blue Line light rail down through Pineville, and then through Ballantyne. The line would run on the side of I-485, and would also have a stop next to the Carolina Place Mall
  • Extend the northern end of the Blue Line up through the Charlotte Motor Speedway, and then northwest to Concord Mills
  • Create a spur from the Blue Line, out towards SouthPark. Also, this spur could also run the other way following the Norfolk-Southern railroad, connecting with the Charlotte Douglas Aiport.
  • The West Corridor and Southeast Corridor are picked as Light Rail, and are merged as the "Silver Line"
  • Commuter rail towards Concord, Gastonia, Rock Hill, and Monroe (plus the Red Line towards Mooresville)
Roads:
  • Eventually, widen I-485 to four lanes on each side. If one of the lanes have to be HOT/toll lanes, then so be it
  • Same thing applies to I-77
  • Finish the conversion of the Independence Blvd to an expressway. Also, finish the Shelby and Monroe Bypass
  • Related to the above point, but convert US 74 to freeway/interstate standards, so the Charlotte region has a direct route to the ocean. The part connecting to the east end of the Monroe Bypass to I-74 could be labeled as I-174
  • Cap or remove part of I-277. The added space could be used to help re-connect SouthEnd with Uptown
Other projects:
  • More universities need to come to the region, whether public or private. Also, rename UNC Charlotte to something that helps gives the university its own identity
  • A specialized zoo. There's no way such a zoo could compete with the NC Zoo, but this one could be much smaller, and perhaps specialize in a certain animal type
  • More skyscrapers, and perhaps a Supertall someday. Also, would love to see an observation deck on such a tower
  • More reinvestment in dilapidated parts of town

Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Well, I am describing this for the cities I lived in the past 7 months: Seattle and NYC.

Seattle:

1. I would expand and increase the amount of high-rise skyscrapers, historic architecture, and higher density levels into more of Downtown, International District, Lower Queen Anne, South Lake Union, and Belltown neighborhood regions of Seattle.

Those areas of Seattle already feel pretty urban, and I like those places in this city. I just prefer some more density, and areas of medium density to high density of unique historic architecture, and modern architecture expanded into more city blocks.

2. No more ugly, hideous, bland looking condo building projects, and especially not in neighborhoods such as Capitol Hill, and never in a million years demolishing neighborhood landmarks such as what happened to BandO espresso cafe bar restaurant, and Bauhaus Cafe Bar. This was never supposed to happen in the city of Seattle.

3. Reduce rush hour traffic into Downtown Seattle, try to have a monorail public transportation system throughout some busy neighborhood areas of Seattle, mostly right next to highway/congested roads, and more alternatives to public transportation outside of so many bus lines.

4. Make Seattle more progressive, intellectual, countercultural, pleasant, and interesting again. I really feel the city of Seattle really lost a noticeable amount of this energy, and lifestyle compared to 3 years ago and in 1990s.

5. Promote more of a culture of independent stores, businesses, and less chain stores/tacky forms of corporations. There is already an impressive, and pretty good scene of independent stores, businesses. However, this was much better around 3 years ago, and in 1990s. I noticed too much of a negative direction towards some more chain stores, corporations in the city of Seattle in the past few years when more of an emphasis on independent stores, businesses should come back into this region of Pacific Northwest.

New York City:

1. Have more medium density, and lower density neighborhoods in the outer surrounding neighborhoods not too far away from public transportation to Manhattan/Brooklyn such as in Staten Island, Southern Brooklyn, and Eastern Queens. I enjoy the high density in areas of Manhattan/Brooklyn, and at the same time, nice to see some breaks in some neighborhoods of NYC, and more of a mix of medium, low, and high density.

2. Make more of NYC less noisy, more quiet, less crowded, less congested, and more settled during the night time, early morning, and middle to late morning hours. There is a serious, annoying noise problem in some areas of NYC. However, itís not really quite as bad in some areas of NYC.

3. More neighborhoods such as Upper West Side, East Village, West Village, Noho/Soho, Tribeca, Midtown, Upper East Side, Park Slope, and Williamsburg into more areas of NYC, especially in Queens, Staten Island, and the rest of Brooklyn. However, there is an impressive amount of favorite neighborhoods already existing in NYC. I actually have an equal amount of favorite neighborhoods in Seattle.

4. Clean up more of NYC, less dirty, less grit, better maintained apartment buildings, and at the same time, more affordable renting, cost of living options.

5. Upscale, Middle Class to Upper Class nice looking beach communities in Southern Brooklyn: Coney Island, and Far Rockaway right on Atlantic Ocean beach coastline.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Why on earth would Seattle need a Disney/Vegas like monorail? Why not expand the existing light rail system and just make it elevated where it would be appropriate to do so, and likewise grade level and subway where that would be appropriate, pretty much like the existing starter line is now. A monorail through Ballard or West Seattle would aesthetically and functionally be silly.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,816,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Why on earth would Seattle need a Disney/Vegas like monorail? Why not expand the existing light rail system and just make it elevated where it would be appropriate to do so, and likewise grade level and subway where that would be appropriate, pretty much like the existing starter line is now. A monorail through Ballard or West Seattle would aesthetically and functionally be silly.
I agree. But really, it doesn't matter if we have a train, monorail, or horse and carriage, as long as it's elevated! Our crummy congested streets make any form of public transit that runs with traffic a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning