U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 PM

20,413 posts, read 37,811,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
The percentage of the population comprised of families with children is ever shrinking. Not only are people having fewer kids, but they are having them at a later age, and they are also living longer (more empty nesters). Without kids, living in an urban environment is much more feasible/desirable. Also urban crime rates are at 40 year lows.
I'm an empty nester. I will NEVER move back to an urban environment if I have any choice at all in the matter. It would drive me stark raving mad to be forced to do so. My across the road neighbor is just under half a mile away, and that's just about perfect.

My sister mentioned above is an empty nester in her mid-seventies. She loves living in her suburb and wouldn't move into the city.

My children are early 30's/early 40's. Both live in suburbs (granted, one is Mississauga, which is a 700,000 person suburb of Toronto, but suburb nonetheless). She'd prefer to live on some acres in the country. The other, at 40, just had his first child, and lives in a suburb in San Antonio, albeit an older one that is somewhat akin to the one my sister lives in except that his has a gate at the end of the street. His plan is to send the kid to the ranch for a month every summer to get exposure so he won't be afraid of animals and other real life things and will know where his food comes from.

Could you provide cites to that claim that the percentage of the population comprised of families with children is shrinking? Because my personal and professional lives don't reflect that at all. Now, they ARE having children at later ages, I'll grant you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,287,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Could you provide cites to that claim that the percentage of the population comprised of families with children is shrinking? Because my personal and professional lives don't reflect that at all. Now, they ARE having children at later ages, I'll grant you that.
Sure: http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...n-family/?_r=0

Same trend in Canada: Canadian families shrinking, married couples in decline: Census - The Globe and Mail

I found these links from about 30 seconds of googling, so they might not be the latest and best data, but I think it illustrates the point.

PS: Here's another good link http://housingperspectives.blogspot....come-norm.html

Last edited by oakparkdude; 12-23-2013 at 08:13 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Why are you on an urban planning forum at all? You live 45 minutes from the nearest city worth going to, a city you seem to hate more with each post you write, and you express disdain for absolutely anything urban. Why do you care at all?
I think it's up to her where she posts.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
ROTFL. The Levittowns still stand. So do Malvina Reynolds' "Little Boxes".
And both have held their value well, too. Also, the neighborhood that "Little Boxes" describes is less white than nearby San Francisco neighborhoods across the border.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,749,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Perhaps it is mainly C-D users, or perhaps it is a real new wave and movement; honestly I'm inclined to believe it is a bit of both, this comes from the mindset of most posters here and the population trends in cities. Anyway, what is the driving force behind this urban trend that is sweeping the nation? People clamor for and love density, areas teeming with people, living units stacked on top of each other, etc.

I'm a millennial, and maybe I am old fashioned or of a different upbringing, but I like my space. I think suburbs, neighborhoods with spaced out houses, or homes on the countryside are the better places to raise a family and are overall less stressful and more easy going, albeit probably more expensive.

What is it with hipsters and these new trendy yuppies who are all about living in the heart of the city?

I am in no way shape or form against this! Also, I am glad that some people are moving back to the cities, this is resurrecting countless downtowns across the nation, which is a good thing! However, downtown and urban life is not something everyone wants, but what is driving this new trend?
1) Media Social conditioning past 20 years (Frasier, Friends, Sex in City et al)
2) Outgrowth of Segment and Target marketing most DT populations are readily defined by psychographics of packs of peers (Young professionals, Empty nesters, Students, etc)
3) Emphasis of Downtown as playground with most variety / breadth of entertainment activities
4) Proximity to such activities with large peer groups (lure of larger pool of potential sex partners - mystique of 'meet cute')
5) Redesign / Repurposed old architecture of character versus lots of sameness (predominant suburban cookie cutter style elements)
6) Declining household size and realization of space needs optimization coupled with mobile lifestyle mindset ("think global, be mobile"- for job opportunity availability) - higher rental populations.
7) In some cities (large employment centers with good public transportation) economies of cost of living savings (large fixed expense not needed such as auto) in a few instances outside of mega cities / international cities
8) Anonymity for educated immigrant populations - ease of blending with large cultural diversity
9) New construction development of residential in downtowns provide much greater variety of built environment options with privacy / considerations past generations of construction did not possess. For example, dumbbell tenements for working poor with large average household size and insufficient infrastructure (plumbing / electric) versus designed multi family residential communities with seldom used amenities that can be shared. Some new developments are incorporating rental formal dining rooms which can be used like a conference room in the business environment.
10) Return in some cities to classical worldwide real estate spatial valuation - where wealthy live in city and as you go out in concentric circles (relatively based on metro areas) the values and socio economic levels decrease from city center.

There may be a few others.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 12-23-2013 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: additional content

Old 12-23-2013, 09:11 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,766,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Perhaps it is mainly C-D users, or perhaps it is a real new wave and movement; honestly I'm inclined to believe it is a bit of both, this comes from the mindset of most posters here and the population trends in cities. Anyway, what is the driving force behind this urban trend that is sweeping the nation? People clamor for and love density, areas teeming with people, living units stacked on top of each other, etc.
New wave? This is NOTHING new....Perhaps you've heard of a little place called Manhattan. The bulk of the buildings there are from the early 1900's and were built with dozens of stories with hundreds of apartments. Urban living is absolutely NOT new!

Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,830,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
New wave? This is NOTHING new....Perhaps you've heard of a little place called Manhattan. The bulk of the buildings there are from the early 1900's and were built with dozens of stories with hundreds of apartments. Urban living is absolutely NOT new!
Buildings of that age did not generally have dozens of stories. Closer to a half-dozen, though sometimes more and often less. A seventh floor walkup is a major inconvenience.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Buildings of that age did not generally have dozens of stories. Closer to a half-dozen, though sometimes more and often less. A seventh floor walkup is a major inconvenience.
There's this snazzy thing called an elevator. Then again there are 10 floor walk ups in NYC. Very few buildings in Manhattan were ever built to be 6 stories! There are hundreds of buildings from the art deco period and they all have dozens of stories and hundreds of apartments. There's a show on HGTV about buying and selling real estate in Manhattan. You get to see many of these buildings on that show. Rather fascinating, but much better looking in person! I know. I've been there numerous times.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Absolutely! Socializing is not limited to the cities. I actually began socializing more once I moved out of the city. The slower pace allows for deeper and more meaningful friendships. The catch is that people have to put forth some effort to sustain those friendships. You just can't lazily saunter into a dance club or coffee shop in the small towns and suburbs.

I'm calling bullcrap on this! I live in a small town and you most certainly can lazily saunter into our coffee shop. There's only 2500 people in my town. And no everyone doesn't know each other. You can easily go around unnoticed as easily as you can go around being noticed.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's this snazzy thing called an elevator. Then again there are 10 floor walk ups in NYC. Very few buildings in Manhattan were ever built to be 6 stories!
No. Many if not most buildings in Manhattan were to be 6 stories. Plenty were demolished in the last century to make way for taller buildings. Non high rise buildings in Manhattan:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+...7.74,,0,-19.84

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+...8.71,,0,-26.94

a few blocks from Times Square

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Times...0.08,,0,-24.27

100 years ago these style buildings made up the bulk of the city except by commercial streets. Or Midtown Manhattan, 1913 by Penn Station:

Last edited by nei; 12-23-2013 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or