Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

It seems every mid sized to large city is experiencing growth in the DINK, yuppie and gay population. Cities like St. Louis, Atlanta and others have street car or LRT in construction or advanced planning stages. Not to mention the growth in the Chicago Loop with apartments and retail chains like City Target, Walmart Express and restaurant like chick fil a opening in the Chicago financial district where as they use to be confined to the suburbs.

What are some of the changes you are seeing in your city that are different from what you saw 5 years ago? Are the changes good or bad for the long term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
I always have a good time in cities.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Absolutely. None better since 1950.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:41 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I live in a city that's hasn't yet evolved from being a teenager, there's tiny little signs that adulthood is on the horizon here, but I'm not holding my breath!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Certainly feels like it.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Is this a good time for cities?

It seems every mid sized to large city is experiencing growth in the DINK, yuppie and gay population. Cities like St. Louis, Atlanta and others have street car or LRT in construction or advanced planning stages. Not to mention the growth in the Chicago Loop with apartments and retail chains like City Target, Walmart Express and restaurant like chick fil a opening in the Chicago financial district where as they use to be confined to the suburbs.

What are some of the changes you are seeing in your city that are different from what you saw 5 years ago? Are the changes good or bad for the long term?
There is multiple questions involved in this topic that are technically separate, and not exactly the same: “Is this a good time for cities?†vs. “What are some of the changes you are seeing in your city that are different from what you saw 5 years ago?â€

In the 1st question, that is too much of a vast generalization, and really depends on region of the world. However, I noticed in some cities, especially in USA, there is a negative direction towards too much bureaucracy systems getting in the way of any development or progress in architecture, urban planning projects, and too emphasis on capitalistic wealth, or investment to send momentum to beneficial actions. However, there is hope and optimism to change this situation in all urban planning projects.

In the 2nd question, I noticed too much changes in Seattle compared to 3 to 5 years ago. The city of Seattle really feels less progressive, less intellectual, more dull, more conformist in a horrible way, and not the same overall character quality of life. Some of my favorite places in Seattle such as cafe bars, hookah lounge have relocated or demolished in hideous condo building projects. However, at the same time, I discovered an equal amount of new amazing cafe bars, and nightclubs I didn’t know about before in Seattle. I noticed almost no actual changes in New York City in the past 5 years, and any change is mostly subtle, such as some new stores, or slight change in a neighborhood. I developed a more entertaining urban lifestyle in both Seattle, and NYC, and discovered many new amazing destinations in each city.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Seattle becoming conformist? That's sad...

Where I live, what was once the budding Wynwood and Design District arts district is starting to get overrun with luxury brand-name retailers--everywhere seems to want to be another high end mall (or at least have it's own Starbucks and Whole Foods) instead of having it's own unique local vibe.

Are cities really so desperate for developers' money that they totally disregard how the development will affect the place's character?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:50 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
People are becoming much more supportive of density in general.

Seattle is definitely a poster child of this. The city is undergoing the most dramatic change in any city within the US. More dense, lots of newer residential towers, cleaner, sleeker, shinier. But then as previous posters have said, it isn't the same city anymore. The grunge/punk culture is completely dead, it's much snobbier, more yuppies, much less affordable, laughably horrendous traffic, much more of a rat race, more corporate, more serious, and generally a more frustrated population as it evolves from a laid back hip city to a city of transplants all in search of wealth and money. Still a great city, but no longer grunge or bohemian anymore.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:25 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
People are becoming much more supportive of density in general.

Seattle is definitely a poster child of this. The city is undergoing the most dramatic change in any city within the US. More dense, lots of newer residential towers, cleaner, sleeker, shinier. But then as previous posters have said, it isn't the same city anymore. The grunge/punk culture is completely dead, it's much snobbier, more yuppies, much less affordable, laughably horrendous traffic, much more of a rat race, more corporate, more serious, and generally a more frustrated population as it evolves from a laid back hip city to a city of transplants all in search of wealth and money. Still a great city, but no longer grunge or bohemian anymore.
Well, there's always Portland for that.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Considering how many cities whose populations were plummeting into the abyss 30 years ago, and now growing in population, I think it's accurate to say that we are in, or on the brink of an urban renaissance in the US. I mean, Really, who would have thought Chicago, or Philadelphia would have a GROWING population in just a few decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning