U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:50 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,681,041 times

Advertisements

[quote=KerrTown;32776418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm glad that our planners at least retained a strong central core/downtown/CBD./QUOTE]
Houston has a strong Downtown for weekdays. It still is an employment center along with the edge cities that have popped up over the past 40 years (namely around the Galleria Mall and to a lesser extent Greenway Plaza). The commuter buses funnel at least a 1/3 of workers in and out every day.

How much can that be attributed to better shopping a short BART ride away to Market Street and Union Square in San Francisco? It's commonly stated that the ride takes 10 minutes to cross the bay from Downtown Oakland to the three stops on Market Street. Union Station is about a 5 minute walk from the second BART stop.
It is more like 60% redlining and Oakland reputation. There is a false perception that Oakland can't support retail. But the retail leakage for Oakland is several hundred million. The rest is related to the anti development tenor of the inner east bay. Alameda and berkeley are missing malls as well. And the other factor is the 1989 quake that damaged most of the classic department store buildings and they fell into disrepair.

But to be honest, Oakland's downtown decline was written into history with white flight in the 50s/60s/70s. When cities get marked as mostly black, retailers don't come to down despite the demographics. Look at the lack of retail in Maryland's PG County despite the average income of $80k. There is no high end retail compared to similar towns in VA and other communities across the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:00 AM

2,923 posts, read 3,637,880 times
Quote:
There are more retail shops in a small city in Italy or the UK than in downtown LA, a city of many millions! America should be ashamed of it's retail in it's cities.
I get your point, but downtown LA may not be the best example as there are over 1,000 retail stores in the Fashion District alone.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:08 AM

2,923 posts, read 3,637,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Open-air malls are the rage now, but I think it's a cycle.

In maybe 30 years, once open-air malls lose their freshness, enclosed malls will probably start making a full comeback, partly for various practical reasons (shelter from weather, security, flexibility, etc.)
Maybe, but I doubt it. I expect that in 30 years online purchases will be even more popular. You'll likely be able to try on clothes virtually.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,465,147 times
Downtown LA has 52,000 residents, and the vast majority of them own automobiles.

Enclosed malls have been in trouble for over a decade as chains such as Macys and Sears continue to struggle and close stores nationwide, and Sears in particular.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,685,317 times
THis is the most recent addition to Leeds' shopping scene, but it's more like an enclosed street than an enclosed mall.

Trinity2_Panorama1 by ShakeyDave, on Flickr

Trinity Leeds shopping centre by Jeremai Smith, on Flickr

Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,008,841 times
Quote:
Enclosed shopping malls are often derided by many for being soulless, too modern, chain-dominated and symptomatic and emblematic of the auto-dominated suburban lifestyle, but I have to say, while I appreciate high street shopping as much as anyone (well when I have something to buy), I think enclosed malls aren't all bad, even though they sort of lack the eclectic character they had in the 70s and 80s. They're better than those strip malls on the highway, at any rate, even though I admit those have a place, especially with things like furniture stores.

But yeah, in Asia malls are as big as ever, and they're always a welcome respite from the heat (or in the case of Japan, China, Korea, the cold, which was one of the main reasons why they began in Minnesota). One can also walk around and stuff and get a little exercise, and they're not all dominated by chains either. It's convenient to have everything under one roof. I hope they don't die off, honestly. I mean in England the same old high streets can get boring too.

Of course, the US is probably TOO mall dominated in parts, I think malls still have their place though, a long with on-street shopping. What do you think?
The eclectic culture malls had in the seventies and eighties was more a result of the eclectic culture of America at that time. The malls themselves had nothing to do with it. I never had a problem with shopping malls, indoor or outdoor.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 AM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Maybe, but I doubt it. I expect that in 30 years online purchases will be even more popular. You'll likely be able to try on clothes virtually.
It won't be the same. Land's End did that for a while, but they seem to have dropped it.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,416,853 times
Enclosed malls are as popular as ever in New Jersey a.k.a. Mall World.

I am literally within striking distance of several large enclosed malls: Garden State Plaza (a city unto itself), Paramus Park, Livingston, Short Hills, and Rockaway.

I love enclosed malls because it is COLD outside!!! I hate the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning