U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:48 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,122,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
LA is made for cars not people. No parent wants to expose their children to such a dangerous environment. Who could blame them? It's an extremely autocentric, hostile environment for anyone not in a car. I know we're talking about transit but transit users are also pedestrians for the most part unless you're using park and ride. The streets are no place for women and children to be in. But you could probably say the same for 98% of cities in N. America.
This is a little bit over the top. No, actually it is a lot over the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 AM

359 posts, read 257,659 times
Here in PHILLY LAND ON SEPTA.....You see it all...the parent with 3-4 kids all running to the back all hype and loud. Stroller, Car Seat, etc. lol. Rush Hour, Late at night. It happens. lol...its like a second nature or something i cant explain. I dont think my trips would be as interesting if i didn't see a lil kid getting cussed out or in trouble lol

Old 04-15-2014, 10:21 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,550,732 times
I see parents with children all the time on the trains in NYC and New Jersey. I remember seeing parents with children on the light rail in Portland as well, though not so much during rush hour because that is mostly just people getting to their jobs downtown.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,991 posts, read 42,018,377 times
As a kid, I remember taking the train/subway to see city sights and museums. That was the usual way to see the city, kids or no kids.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:20 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,498,191 times
It seems like parents with strollers come on the bus constantly here in western Vancouver, but it's easier because theirs ramps to facilitate access and special areas where the seats fold up to accommodate them. When you make a service like buses accessible to people with strollers and encourage use to them, you'd be surprised how many people come out of the woodwork to use the service. That applies even more to people with wheelchairs.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,048,455 times
I take mass transit all time with my kids. They love that they get to look out the windows and not ride in carseats.

NYC mass transit was a bit rough with strollers and the elevated & subterrenean stations with no elevators but was way better than driving and there were always helpful new yorkers to help carry the stroller up the stairs.

I have a car too, but very much prefer mass transit when it is appropriate and available.

Bottom line is going anywhere with small kids, personal or public transportion, is mostly awful.

I think you may see less kids on mass transit because in most US cities, mass transit is set up for commuters and parents with kids aren't travelling to work. As kid-approrpriate stops grow on mass transit lines in more cities, you'll see more kids.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:02 PM

14,074 posts, read 16,102,108 times
I don't take transit here, but do in San Francisco on occasion. It's extremely rare to see kids during rush hour on transit, but when you get more into the middle of the day, especially on neighborhood lines, it's pretty common. When I was living in Prague it was similar. Mostly families in Prague have a car, but often only one. They use transit to get to work but use the car to run errands or take the kids to school. On the weekends or school holidays, you do see young kids on transit since driving into Prague is generally a pain in the but since the roads are pretty horrible and there's no parking.

Seoul was the complete opposite. Seoul is a complete zoo as far as transit goes. You smash in like sardines, huge zergling armies of people entering and exiting. The culture, however, is complete different. Everyone watches out for kids and the elderly. You'll see people clear a path for the elderly or kids. There's no contact and they're complete strangers (kind of a no-no in Korean culture), it just happens organically.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,083,989 times
Mostly tourists and low income families bringing children on the busses here in Miami. Most family- and child- friendly places are simply not convenient to public transportation. Also outside of rush hour the bus frequency is a big issue, especially in residential areas.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,698,541 times
I see kids on transit often. Over the weekend I saw a woman with a 2 seater stroller and another newborn (or close) in one of those wraps around her chest. I was impressed!

Interesting article about Manhattan becoming a large family zone from a couple days ago.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/fa...ttan.html?_r=0

Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,213,244 times
I see kids in strollers on public transit every single day. Can be annoying during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning