U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,709,402 times

Advertisements

I began taking the Chicago buses, subways and streetcars when I was eleven back in the 1950's. It wasn't a big deal. I never felt afraid. Back then, strollers were not allowed on public transportation. They were too large and could not be collapsed. Mothers, mine included, carried infants on board and toddlers just walked on. My mom transported my sisters and me all over the city that way when we had to go to the doctor or shopping. She never took us during rush hour though, she always said that we should not take up the space during the hours when people were either going to or coming home from work.

It wasn't until the 70's when the small, folding umbrellas strollers came into being that strollers were allowed in public transportation. But then people began bringing on larger ones that although collapsable, usually are never folded. I take public transportation exclusively and occasionally I will see a bus driver insist someone collapse the stroller. Those huge ones are a nuisance and block the aisles and the side seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 AM

9,522 posts, read 14,874,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It wasn't until the 70's when the small, folding umbrellas strollers came into being that strollers were allowed in public transportation. But then people began bringing on larger ones that although collapsable, usually are never folded. I take public transportation exclusively and occasionally I will see a bus driver insist someone collapse the stroller. Those huge ones are a nuisance and block the aisles and the side seats.
And now the umbrella strollers are gone and the entitled parents just shove their monster-sized baby-movers into subway cars, blocking the doors and running over the people already standing there.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:54 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,136,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
And now the umbrella strollers are gone and the entitled parents just shove their monster-sized baby-movers into subway cars, blocking the doors and running over the people already standing there.
I've never had a problem with strollers on the subway in LA or Boston, in fact bicyclists are much worse IMO. I guess if it was rush hour it would be annoying, but even when I commuted in Boston I don't remember being annoyed by strollers on the train (now in the coffee shop I worked at, that's another story). I usually take my baby in some sort of carrier (like the Baby Bjorn) if I am riding - I kinda hate using a stroller)

Old 05-03-2014, 01:55 PM

4,275 posts, read 6,365,356 times
There are plenty of toddlers and babies on the subways and buses here, and they're riding at all hours of the day and night. Especially on weekends you ride some lines and it can feel-- and sound -- like you're in a day-care center. But you do see parents and kids on subways in all neighborhoods, rich or poor, as the subways here are the great equalizer.

Interesting changes that I've seen over the years is that it's probably a little more common now to see the babied and toddlers on the subways now that many more stations have elevator access to the platforms, and that many busses now have a space up front near the drivers seat where parents can leave their strollers while they hold their babies.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
One thing that I don't like to see is that at times those entitled parents with their SUV strollers take up the spaces designated for wheelchairs. That is really unfair because even those strollers can be folded but people in wheelchairs do not have that option. They must have those spaces.

Of course, not all parents are this inconsiderate and I don't mean to say they are. But there are always those who are inconsiderate dolts who make it difficult for others. I ride the buses a lot at all hours of the day since I do not drive so I guess I see this more than people who just take public transportation during the rush hour.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 PM

104 posts, read 137,485 times
I HATE it when the parents use the space reserved for those in wheelchairs to store their hoooge strollers. Not to mention the parent must sit down on a chair reserved for the elderly or physically disabled. It happened this afternoon.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,118,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I HATE it when the parents use the space reserved for those in wheelchairs to store their hoooge strollers. Not to mention the parent must sit down on a chair reserved for the elderly or physically disabled. It happened this afternoon.
It's no problem unless an elderly or disabled person needs the seat, right? They could just move if someone comes.

Moms get a lot of help on the buses in Baltimore, as do elderly. Most are quick to give up a seat. I haven't noticed any difference here in seattle but buses are way less crowded (though that will probably change with our forthcoming 16% service cut)

Old 05-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It's no problem unless an elderly or disabled person needs the seat, right? They could just move if someone comes.

Moms get a lot of help on the buses in Baltimore, as do elderly. Most are quick to give up a seat. I haven't noticed any difference here in seattle but buses are way less crowded (though that will probably change with our forthcoming 16% service cut)
But I have seen them refuse to move. This is happening more and more. The person with the stroller can pack it up and move to the back but the trouble is, once they have settled in, they often don't want to move all of their paraphernalia and it isn't until the driver actually tells them they must move that they do.

I tend to agree with you that service being cut has a lot to do with this type of situation. Our buses are more crowded during the day than ever before and run less frequently due to large service cuts. This has caused more crowding during off-hours.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
If NYC has rules that strollers must be folded on subways, they're not enforced and completely ignored.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,970,020 times
When visiting my daughters love the NYC Subway..............it is a little tense as a parent though. My wife and I would think nothing of getting on and if we took the wrong one we would just figure out our way back......................I am a little more cautious with twins in tow.................and we weened them from strollers at an early age. I am amazed at the amount of four and five year olds that don't want to walk!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning