Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 11:02 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times

Advertisements

You can find density down to the census tract.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Also - describe the neighborhood briefly. For me:

Old established neighborhood with many/most homes and all streets pre-dating automobile. Build on a grid, but the grid has been clipped in many places for various reasons over the years. Still has excellent access to the city with most trips to downtown taking less than 5 minutes on surface roads.

Mix of housing types with MF apartments, condos and SF houses. SF housing predominates - though lots tend to be on the smaller side. Limited commercial/retail mixed but east and south end of neighborhood fronted fairly strong commercial/retail.

4300/sqm <1 mile from CBD.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2014 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 11:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
I grew up in three different neighborhoods. I'll briefly describe them.

First neighborhood: Very new neighborhood. Parents bought it before it was even built in the 90s. Far out of town, and lived there before the schools were even built and a lot of the roads. Very far from downtown. Took roughly half an hour. Cookie cutter homes in the middle of the Sonoran desert. No apartments nearby. Not dense at all, especially considering Arizona's average.

Second neighborhood: Closer to Downtown, by roughly five minutes, but was custom and a lot of houses varied from being built in the 80s to the present. The house I lived in was built in the 00s, only a few years old when we moved in. Neighborhood was all houses, mainly large custom homes and a couple smaller cookie cutter homes. Nearby large, new, hospital and no stores in the general vicinity, also only one gas station, despite being in town. The next neighborhood, though it was close by, had the large mall, all of the retail, grocery stores, the apartments, etc. Probably close to Arizona's density average.

Third neighborhood: Close to the suburb's downtown, <5 minutes. Ten minutes to Phoenix's downtown. Small ranch-style homes built in the 70s. Good mix of old and new townhouses, apartments, single-family homes, etc. because of a lot of Glendale being redeveloped, and the purchase of farming land. Small stores nearby, and grocery stores, but no big retail. Neighborhood was probably more dense than the Arizona average. In my mile square, it was probably ~300 due to a lot of families.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I grew up in suburbia. The first home was a suburb that has grown into a sprawling city. They have been trying to fabricate a downtown since I was a child. Only in the past 5-10 yeas have they made a little progress. There are about 3-4 blocks of urbanity in use. The rest is still in progress.

Then my family moved into a shunt new subdivision. Downtown of my city was a collection if strip malls. Downtown of the larger city next door was an amusement park, it was a tourist area of tract homes, water parks and golf courses. Very few older homes.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
I grew up in suburbia and the only actual downtown in the metro they basically bulldozed 20 years before I was born.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
The census tract where I spent most of my childhood has a density of about 817 ppsm. That number was probably a little smaller when I was a kid, because more houses were built in the 90s/00s. (when I lived there, most houses had been built in the late 60s/early 70s; there was a building lull between about 75 and 95)

You could drive to the commercial strip (fast food places, car dealerships, etc.) in about 5 minutes. But, the only things close enough to walk to were the elementary school, and the 7/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning