Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Urbanites don't understand that most people want to drive cars. Get over it.

CA vs. The Suburbs: Planners, Smart Growth, and the Manhattan Delusion - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Most suburbanites don't understand that driving cars everywhere is unsustainable and unhealthy for our country.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 AM

406 posts, read 501,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Most suburbanites don't understand that driving cars everywhere is unsustainable and unhealthy for our country.
Most people in general are tired of buzzwords, master planning agendas and hyperbole.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
What exactly is the point of this thread? Another "I love my car and you can never ever take it away." So should we start mowing down everything in this country for more roads and parking when we can't even maintain the roads we have?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What exactly is the point of this thread? Another "I love my car and you can never ever take it away." So should we start mowing down everything in this country for more roads and parking when we can't even maintain the roads we have?
Precisely.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 AM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Stop subsidizing gas prices, see how well the free market works then, right? That's the great irony of going on and on about the free market. Dense, auto-centric sprawl in tiny lots still blows--as a place to live in, it's a lot worse than living among greenspace.

I like Leimert Park and various other great neighborhoods in LA--those are generally also landmarked and not going to be destroyed. Those were also built in the age of suburban rail and not so much the automobile. It'd be nice LA doesn't develop into Manhattan, but instead stay polycentric and with a patchwork of interesting dense areas among other sorts of areas with something more akin to what you find in some East Asian cities.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 AM

358 posts, read 451,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Urbanites don't understand that most people want to drive cars. Get over it.

CA vs. The Suburbs: Planners, Smart Growth, and the Manhattan Delusion - YouTube
Honestly, this video isn't very convincing. The gentleman from SCAG made some really good points, and all the ReasonTV people replied with is "we don't want L.A. to be Manhattan". Nobody even mentioned Manhattan before that, so this come across as a huge overreaction.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Well when we run out of our oil I will stop driving my car. Only thing is that I doubt I will live 600 years to see the oil run out, and that is only the oil we know about. Recently they just found reserves in the Gulf that may make the supply so much more bigger than anyone ever thought possible.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
First we had gun nuts...... DEAR GOD NOW CAR NUTS?!?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:13 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Well when we run out of our oil I will stop driving my car. Only thing is that I doubt I will live 600 years to see the oil run out, and that is only the oil we know about. Recently they just found reserves in the Gulf that may make the supply so much more bigger than anyone ever thought possible.

Right now, there's more money going into fossil fuel tapping than there's in alternative energies research. Oil is the future!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning