U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many neighbor FAMILIES have you invited into your home?
0 22 40.00%
1-3 15 27.27%
4-6 8 14.55%
More than 6 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:29 PM

373 posts, read 487,520 times

Advertisements

With regard to urban planning, and the question at hand: The expression "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors" comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:48 PM

5,008 posts, read 7,689,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have a friend of 17 years and we have a running joke about the last time he promised a housewarming party, it was cancelled around 1999. I've now been to his place twice (in subsequent years) and have met his parents several times. Sometimes you can know someone well but not invite them over. I think sharing a meal is a really good indicator.
That wouldn't fly in this neighborhood haha.

Of the 32 homes that comprise my block and the houses directly across the street in a neighborhood directly adjacent downtown, so, definitely a city neighborhood, I have not broken bread (had a meal with) or been to their house or had them at mine (usually both and sometimes often) with just three of those residences or families. Since we've been here 17 years some families have moved away but any families that replaced families that I socialized with I have socialized with those new families. And this doesn't even count the dozens of families' homes that I have been in or had over to mine that live a few blocks away. Oh, and we don't have kids. Some families are much more social than others of course, but there are a dozen or so families that are always hanging out at each others houses/gardens or going out into neighborhood events, pubs, restaurants together at least weekly.

I would consider this to be an extraordinarily unusual situation, but this just happens to be one of those kind of neighborhoods, and an usually close cul-de-sac here that only heightens that friendly neighborliness. It definitely isn't for everyone, in fact if you were an intensely private person I imagine you would hate it. I've actually heard a story of a women who moved into the neighborhood a few blocks away a couple of years ago and just couldn't take the friendly waves and helpful people stopping to chat here up all the time and promptly sold her house and left for quieter, less friendly environs haha.

I wouldn't have it any other way but then I am a very gregarious person. We just took a walk a couple of nights ago and I asked a gentlemen I didn't know about his tankless water heater on the side of his house (it turned out to be a PV solar electric inverter, but he had a tankless water heater at the back that he could tell me about). Well after chatting about PV panels and water heaters we started chatting about his house and I informed him of the style which he never could figure out in the 37 years there and told him of our house, then he invited us in for a tour of his house and garden. Inside we met his wife and they figured out that I actually invited them and their friends to my house off the street for a tour six years ago when there was a historic house tour in the neighborhood but mine wasn't on it (that year) we cracked up about that and now we have a standing date at either our place or theirs for drinks and snacks in the garden soon.

We have a young family that just bought in down the street with an adorable three month old little girl that have already been almost overwhelmed by the friendly reception they have gotten here and said they are all about joining in and specifically bought in this neighborhood because of its friendly reputation and once the house is put together a neighborhood house warming is absolutely in order soon.

Love this neighborhood!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 PM

27,172 posts, read 29,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
That wouldn't fly in this neighborhood haha.

Love this neighborhood!!!

Most of my friends live or rent condos or apartments, I live in a studio, my building has mostly 1 bedrooms. He lives in a one bedroom place. My friend who took the plunge first to buy her home just sold her condo and is renting a 3 bedroom townhome, She has a toddler. She has the "biggest" place. Life is quite expensive here, even in the suburbs.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM

6,909 posts, read 3,823,549 times
I moved here in September and I'm on a first-name basis with my closest 4 neighbors...it's not densely populated. Three have been to my house....only two have technically been inside...one brought cookies, one helped me repair the evaporative cooler. I've been to one neighbor's home for dinner. This is quite different from where I used to live...people seem more open here.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 AM

4,908 posts, read 7,713,507 times
I answered 4-6, but after thinking about it more, I actually fall into the 6+ category.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 AM

2,628 posts, read 5,909,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How well do you know your neighbors? Please answer truthfully. Families means separate households, e.g. don't count a married couple as two. Two single people, at different addresses, count as two. Neighbors means people within walking distance.
In Carbondale, IL 2009-2011, 322304320457,4547832665, 3455445
In W Rogers Park in Chicago, IL 2011-2012, 1-3, depending on how you count it
In Uptown, Chicago, IL 2012-2013, 0
In Murfreesboro, TN 2013-X, 0

Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,995 posts, read 42,408,365 times
I noticed a very similar thread on the NYC forum:

Do You Know/Like Your Neighbors?

responses varied. It seems like the regulars of that forum tend to live in relatively less transient neighborhoods, hard to tell though.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 AM

87,232 posts, read 103,254,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
In Carbondale, IL 2009-2011, 322304320457,4547832665, 3455445
In W Rogers Park in Chicago, IL 2011-2012, 1-3, depending on how you count it
In Uptown, Chicago, IL 2012-2013, 0
In Murfreesboro, TN 2013-X, 0
LOL about Carbondale! Were you a grad student there?

Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,322,837 times
I moved in my neighborhood last April and know 4 neighbors. The people across the street from us, Ive literally never even seen them. Not even going to and from their cars.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM

87,232 posts, read 103,254,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I noticed a very similar thread on the NYC forum:

Do You Know/Like Your Neighbors?

responses varied. It seems like the regulars of that forum tend to live in relatively less transient neighborhoods, hard to tell though.
I saw something similar on the Denver forum, but now I can't find it with CD's lovely (sarc) search engine. Some of those comments on NYC are pretty "far-out", e.g.

Quote:
I have my wife, my friends i have no need to really know my neighbors enough to like or hate them.

i know a few of them by face, i say hi & bye and keep it movin.' i don't like/want people in my life like that. (Same poster)

I am similar. (In response to above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning