Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Pretty much. There was Pittsburgh Paint and Glass, banking, and "eds and meds", but steel was supreme.
Grandpa worked at Westinghouse and Uncle Eddie at Alcoa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM

13,574 posts, read 9,590,473 times
In my view, “suburbia” is any region dominated by single-family houses (or possibly duplexes, in poorer or older areas) on individual lots. These could be comparatively high-density (5000 ft^2 lots) or sparse (up to 1 acre or so). There might be condos, townhouses or apartment-houses here and there, but the cultural self-identification of the community is that of single-family houses with owner-occupants.

By this definition, a place with row upon row of 9-story apartment houses isn’t suburbia, even if the area is predominantly residential. A place with shoulder-to-shoulder single family houses (which then come to resemble townhouses) also isn’t really suburban.

So in essence, suburb = frequent lawn-mowing by owner-occupants.

At the opposite extreme, once the land associated with the house exceeds around 1 acre, I’d call it exurban instead of suburban.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:10 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,544,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Come to my suburb - no corporations, plenty of mom n pop stores, footpaths and sidewalks, cycle paths, butchers and bakers (real bakers - bake on the premises), street cafes, a cinema, a theater, and houses dating from the late 1700s through to today. Plus more actaul community than you can shake a stick at, rather than the fleeting transient "community" I always saw in the city (in which I lived for 40 years).

I suppose ignorance really is a sort of bliss.

In addition, train suburbs pre-date streetcar suburbs as a phenomenon. So at least say "train & streetcar suburbs", not just the latter.
OK, my bad, and also, how old is your suburb (is it more like a streetcar era suburb (which it sounds like)), or a post WWII Suburb.

Also, for goodness sake!! YES I know that there are plenty of historic suburbs (with more of a town feel and a true community). Also, from the sound of it, it sounds like wherever you are isn't exactly the type of suburb I'm complaining about, to get one thing clear, I DO agree that plenty of these suburbs, especially this sort of town oriented suburb, such as that in Philly, with more of an walkable layout have a great sense of community. Sadly though, the majority of modern era suburbs (postmodern suburbs), aren't exactly like this, and tend to sprawl with relatively identical tract houses, as opposed to the more compact town oriented suburbs in places like Philadelphia.

Last edited by pantin23; 01-07-2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In my view, “suburbia†is any region dominated by single-family houses (or possibly duplexes, in poorer or older areas) on individual lots. These could be comparatively high-density (5000 ft^2 lots) or sparse (up to 1 acre or so). There might be condos, townhouses or apartment-houses here and there, but the cultural self-identification of the community is that of single-family houses with owner-occupants.

By this definition, a place with row upon row of 9-story apartment houses isn’t suburbia, even if the area is predominantly residential. A place with shoulder-to-shoulder single family houses (which then come to resemble townhouses) also isn’t really suburban.

So in essence, suburb = frequent lawn-mowing by owner-occupants.

At the opposite extreme, once the land associated with the house exceeds around 1 acre, I’d call it exurban instead of suburban.
So which police force should the occupants of the 9 story apt. house call if they need help and the 9 story building is outside the city limits? Where should the kids in the sf houses go to school if they live inside the city limits? To whom should everyone pay taxes, does it go according to "form", or do they pay taxes where they live?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,544,238 times
Well that's a stupid question!!! ^^

Whatever locality he's in

Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,183,205 times
Quote:
So which police force should the occupants of the 9 story apt. house call if they need help and the 9 story building is outside the city limits? Where should the kids in the sf houses go to school if they live inside the city limits? To whom should everyone pay taxes, does it go according to "form", or do they pay taxes where they live?
I think you know the answer to your question.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:46 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,327,066 times
Quote:
Pretty much. There was Pittsburgh Paint and Glass, banking, and "eds and meds", but steel was supreme.
Westinghouse, Gulf Oil were also based in Pittsburgh. But Steel supreme until it wasnt

Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 11,247 times
To me suburb means it's just not part of the major city. Not all suburbs are ritzy paradises full of high income earners. Some are middle class havens and some are just extensions of tha hood, especially some near the largest cities.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,804,740 times
"Suburb" usually means a town or development that picks and chooses what it will allow within its limits. For example: no factories allowed but gleaming corporate offices OK, no housing under $300K, no dance clubs or questionable entertainment venues. Of course there are many exceptions. Another rule of thumb is within 100 miles of center city with population below P*(100-m)/100, where P is the population of the central city, m is miles from central business district of that city. Also, a suburb may not have its own network TV station.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think you know the answer to your question.
Sure I do. I was just posing the questions to someone who thinks that city and suburbs can be determined by the type of housing. Whether you live in a city or suburb is determined by the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning