U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I agree. It was their stupidity (and I do think it was stupid to rent a place with NO off-street parking). OTOH, this situation does create a mess on the streets of St. Paul. That's why I think perhaps city officials should require a minimum off-street parking at least when a building is remodeled.
What's wrong with choosing to rent a place with no off street parking and deal with it if it's where you prefer? I'd probably choose a place like that if I move to a big city.

I'm curious how filled up the streets in the St. Paul streets are, since the streetviews I found all look like they have plenty of open space on the streets, but it could be the time of day or snow removes many of the spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What's wrong with choosing to rent a place with no off street parking and deal with it if it's where you prefer? I'd probably choose a place like that if I move to a big city.

I'm curious how filled up the streets in the St. Paul streets are, since the streetviews I found all look like they have plenty of open space on the streets, but it could be the time of day or snow removes many of the spots.
I don't think they knew what they were getting into. Neither of them, to my knowledge, ever lived where you had to leave your car on the street before. Certainly my daughter hasn't. Just wait till they try to get car insurance there! It was a pain for them to have to leave their Christmas visit to move a car.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I don't think they knew what they were getting into. Neither of them, to my knowledge, ever lived where you had to leave your car on the street before. Certainly my daughter hasn't. Just wait till they try to get car insurance there! It was a pain for them to have to leave their Christmas visit to move a car.
They didn't visit friends who lived in places like that? Or drive there and have to deal with parking? I had assumed the situation would be somewhat familiar.

The Christmas visit sounds like a horrible pain, but I would have planned for that.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They didn't visit friends who lived in places like that? Or drive there and have to deal with parking? I had assumed the situation would be somewhat familiar.

The Christmas visit sounds like a horrible pain, but I would have planned for that.
They moved there from Colorado. They were renting a townhouse (here) that provided one spot per unit, plus some visitor's spots, all off-street. Before that, they lived in an apt. complex that had a big parking lot. I don't know how you plan for a snowstorm, though it's probably a safe bet to assume it WILL snow in MN. Neither of them lived in MN before as adults, and DD never lived there at all. I don't think one always knows which side of the street has to be vacated, either. Maybe they can find a friend who will let them park in a driveway or something the next time they take a trip.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
They moved there from Colorado. They were renting a townhouse (here) that provided one spot per unit, plus some visitor's spots, all off-street. Before that, they lived in an apt. complex that had a big parking lot. I don't know how you plan for a snowstorm, though it's probably a safe bet to assume it WILL snow in MN. Neither of them lived in MN before as adults, and DD never lived there at all. I don't think one always knows which side of the street has to be vacated, either. Maybe they can find a friend who will let them park in a driveway or something the next time they take a trip.
What I meant, was wouldn't they know others (say, friends) who lived in a place without off street parking with a car. And then either saw what they dealt with, or had to deal with the parking rules / finding a space if they drove to visit them? Your neighborhood description (old neighborhood built before cars) doesn't sound like something unheard of or someplace I'd have never encountered before. Though New England, usually homes have added in driveways, so you can often do the "pack your cars into a driveway before a snowstorm".

As to the snowstorm, here anytime during the winter past say 5 days when the weather forecast is known, there's a decent chance it could snow and I'd be aware of what it does parking rules. I'd know not to leave my car on the street in the winter.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 PM

I don't know all the details, since I'm here (Colorado) and they're there. It's possible they didn't know anyone here in CO who didn't have off-street parking at least for their own car. I don't think they thought the snow thing through. People don't usually have to move their cars around here for snow, b/c the cities don't plow!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,933,106 times
Quote:
The building where my daughter lives was built in 1889, as a 2 BR house. (No wonder it doesn't stay warm, but that's another story.) At the time this house was built, there were zero cars per house. It was at some point in time converted into two apartments. Currently there are five people living there, each, presumably with his/her own car. I'll go out on a limb and say that I bet the rest of the neighborhood is similar. That makes the street very crowded; this in a city where cars must frequently be moved due to snow.
I'm sorry about the situation your daughter has gotten into, but she'll know next year that if ample parking is important to her to move to either move into an apartment with dedicated off-street parking (and pay a premium) or find a slightly less desirable neighborhood where on-street parking is more readily available. For other people in a similar circumstance, ditching the car entirely might even make sense. That's how cities sort themselves out.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,081,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, they'll just build with none and rely on neighbors/city to cover the cost. That's why minimum parking requires are used.
I doubt this, seeing as if every business did this, there would just be no parking for anybody! Then, some smart businessman/developer would realize that if he included dedicated parking, his shops would get all the business and his retail/commercial space would be in more demand, and when others try to park in his lot, he is well within his rights to have them towed. Now if the neighbouring businesses don't like their customers getting towed, they can add the spots they need (sacrificing some commercial space), or make a deal with the (now very successful), businessman developer to share some of the nearby spots. On the other hand, if the area becomes more dense and more people walk and take transit, the developer would be wise to replace some of his parking spots with more $$$-earning amenities (which mandatory minimums definitely don't allow for). So the market still works!

If the city is providing parking nearby I don't see your point, since 1.) the city would be providing a service to its taxpayers, which include the businesses (the City's parking is NOT free--it is paid for through taxes!!!), and 2.) it's probably in a dense city-center type setting where land value is high and dedicated parking would be a costly luxury to provide. To require a minimum parking amount for each of the dozen or so businesses within a 5 minute walk would, of course, be a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning