U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you support an increase in alcohol taxes to fund P.M. transit options?
Yes 14 33.33%
No 24 57.14%
Maybe 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2014, 05:55 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Reputation: 43286

Advertisements

I see that the folks who want someone else to pay for their ride are gaining again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,328,925 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And you know this how? You've taken a Colorado driver's test?
Because Eddyline was saying it over and over again in his posts. There were also links posted that clearly stated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why two limits, if the lower one is the limit, period? Please explain.
It's the same concept as degrees of murder, or anything else for that matter. The degree to which you commit an illegal activity will implicate a different severity of sentence....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,328,925 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I see that the folks who want someone else to pay for their ride are gaining again.
Do drivers pay the full costs of all roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Reputation: 43286
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Do drivers pay the full costs of all roads?
Way more so than transit riders who pay for about 1/3 of the cost of the ride with the difference being made up by car drivers through the gas tax.

The gas tax should be enough to pay for road construction and maintenance. And is if you run the numbers. The reason it isn't is because governments made the conscious decision over the course of many years to defer maintenance, prolong new construction decisions and divert the "surplus" Highway User Funds from those decisons to the General Fund.

And now you have the proposal to impose an alcohol tax on all people who have a drink in order to give low cost rides home to sloppy drunks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 PM
 
9,520 posts, read 14,819,994 times
Reputation: 9769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL, my mistake! But yeah, despite what some have said above, it takes a few drinks even for a 130# woman to get to .08.

A 130# woman could have 2 beers in 2 hours and have a BAC of 0.036.[/url]
Two standard drinks in two hours puts your 130# (59kg) woman to 0.033.
Two 12oz 5% beers is 2.8 standard drinks, giving a BAC, in two hours, of 0.059. Illegal in Colorado.

Two 5 oz glasses of 14% red wine is 3.3 standard drinks, giving a BAC of 0.075. Hope there wasn't any over-pour, or you're illegal everywhere.
Two pints (US) of 5% beer in two hours is 0.091 -- flat out illegal everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Reputation: 33053
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Because Eddyline was saying it over and over again in his posts. There were also links posted that clearly stated it.
I'm sorry, I just have to laugh at this. Because an anonymous internet poster said it, it's true? I posted links that said it's NOT true. I posted links from the DMV of Colorado! But who cares what they say, Eddyline is the one to believe.

Difference Between DUI and DWAI in Colorado - Rhidian Orr DUI/DWI Law Blog on Lawyers.com
0.08 is "DUI per se".

At 0.05, you are allowed to present evidence to rebut the charge. You can't do that with DUI per se. Also, "If your BAC is under .05, you can still be charged with DWAI if you show signs of impairment."

Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI)
"This is because the Denver District Attorney is not required to introduce any BAC evidence in order to prosecute you for DWAI, and can simply introduce other evidence to the jury that makes it look like your driving ability was slightly impaired. "

However, to convict of DUI, your BAC has to be > or = to 0.08.

The Differences between DUI, DWAI, and DUID in Colorado | SettlementBoard.com
"In a DUI, the driver is substantially mentally and/or physically incapable of using clear judgment, sufficient control, and safe vehicle operation. A DUI per se indicates that the driver was driving with blood or breath alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or greater."

" In a DWAI, the driver is physically and/or mentally less able than an ordinary driver in terms of using clear judgment, sufficient control, and safe vehicle operation. You are considered to be driving while ability impaired if your blood or breath alcohol content is .05 or greater."

Colorado's DUI Guide | CO DWAI Offenses, Penalties, Laws and Information | Denver
" Most other states' statutes just refer to one offense such as DUI or DWI or OWI. These terms are just acronyms that refer to the offense commonly known as "drunk driving." Virtually every state prohibits driving a motor vehicle while your BAC is 0.08 or higher.

Note: Colorado sometimes uses the phrase "driving while impaired" for DWAI and "driving with excessive alcoholic content" for a Per Se DUI.
"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 PM
 
9,520 posts, read 14,819,994 times
Reputation: 9769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm sorry, I just have to laugh at this. Because an anonymous internet poster said it, it's true? I posted links that said it's NOT true. I posted links from the DMV of Colorado! But who cares what they say, Eddyline is the one to believe.
Your own links show that 0.05 is prima facie illegal. That is, if you're charged with DWAI and no evidence is presented at trial except your BAC, you will be convicted. You can rebut the charge by proving you were not impaired, but that seems like a labor worthy of Hercules; how can you prove such a nebulous negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Reputation: 33053
You can also be charged with DWAI with lower BAC levels, and without a level even having been taken. Should you say that no level of drinking is OK for Colorado drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 PM
 
2,493 posts, read 2,193,406 times
Reputation: 3351
Back on topic. Colorado recently showed an appetite for taxing vices with a rather substantial tax on recreational marijuana so a sin tax on alcohol is possible. I would not think a late night transit service would be the best use for a sin tax.

IMO an appropriate use of an alcohol sin tax would be self service breathalyzer tests in areas with a lot of bars. Most people underestimate how much they have drank and over estimate their driving ability.
If when you walked out of the bar you tested and found your BAC to be over .05, you could make other arrangements to get home. Most of the people I know that have gotten DWAIs had no idea their BAC was over .05, they thought "I only had a few beers, I'm fine". A few beers on an empty stomach and the numbers can sneak up on you quickly. I often have 2 or 3 pints at the local brewpub and feel fine.

There use to be a business downtown Boulder where you could hire someone to drive you home.
They put their bike in your car, drove you home and rode back downtown for the next customer.
The cost was based on mileage but the kids (college students) who ran the business said most of
their income was from tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 PM
 
642 posts, read 960,827 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can also be charged with DWAI with lower BAC levels, and without a level even having been taken. Should you say that no level of drinking is OK for Colorado drivers?
There was a guy here who had 1 beer and was driving his RV when a kid on a bicycle rode right in front of him and was killed. The accident wasn't the man's fault, but since he had alcohol in his blood he was charged with vehicular manslaughter. Also, if there is a collision and one of the parties tests positive for alcohol, it's documented as an alcohol-related incident, regardless of who caused the accident.

Blood alcohol levels seem to be a somewhat arbitrary measurement, since the number of drinks to reach a certain BAC will vary depending on the individual, and even people with the same BAC will have varying degrees of impairment.

My main concern is why do people even take their cars if they're going out to drink? Even if they don't plan on getting sh*tfaced there's still a fair amount of risk involved. Drunk people obviously aren't the best decision makers, but when people drive to bars that's usually a choice they're making while sober.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top