U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support an increase in alcohol taxes to fund P.M. transit options?
Yes 14 33.33%
No 24 57.14%
Maybe 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 PM

727 posts, read 525,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
We need to change that mindset. It is ridiculous you hear ads for attorneys who specialize in defending them. I think many decide they can always call that lawyer if caught.
Yes! Good idea! Call the attorney... for a ride home. Lol! Better yet, have the bartender call the lawyer for the ride home. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 PM

9,522 posts, read 14,877,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana
You can also be charged with DWAI with lower BAC levels, and without a level even having been taken. Should you say that no level of drinking is OK for Colorado drivers?
Without a BAC level or a BAC level below 0.05 BAC, they have to prove impairment. Above 0.05, they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
My main concern is why do people even take their cars if they're going out to drink?
Because outside NYC and a few other urban centers, how else do you get there? If there's a bus, it takes 4 times as long. I imagine most figure, usually erroneously, that they won't actually be above the legal BAC; the rest figure they won't get caught.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,199,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Without a BAC level or a BAC level below 0.05 BAC, they have to prove impairment. Above 0.05, they do not.

Because outside NYC and a few other urban centers, how else do you get there? If there's a bus, it takes 4 times as long. I imagine most figure, usually erroneously, that they won't actually be above the legal BAC; the rest figure they won't get caught.
Walk. Why is there this assumption that everyone drives?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 PM

9,522 posts, read 14,877,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Walk. Why is there this assumption that everyone drives?
Most of the time, again outside major urban centers, when people go to a restaurant or bar, it's not within walking distance. Even IN major urban centers, people get tired of going to the same places all the time; there's only a limited selection within walking distance even IN most major urban centers.

So let's say I want to go to a restaurant in Montclair, NJ from my place in neighboring West Orange, NJ. I can drive for 20 minutes or so, or take one bus into Newark, NJ and another bus to Montclair; that trip takes 50 minutes not counting time walking to the stop. By the time I'm headed home, it's a 15 minute drive but an 80 minute bus ride.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Yes! Good idea! Call the attorney... for a ride home. Lol! Better yet, have the bartender call the lawyer for the ride home. : )
Even at a lawyer's fee of $200-300/ hour, it would be much cheaper than a DWAI.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Most of the time, again outside major urban centers, when people go to a restaurant or bar, it's not within walking distance. Even IN major urban centers, people get tired of going to the same places all the time; there's only a limited selection within walking distance even IN most major urban centers.

So let's say I want to go to a restaurant in Montclair, NJ from my place in neighboring West Orange, NJ. I can drive for 20 minutes or so, or take one bus into Newark, NJ and another bus to Montclair; that trip takes 50 minutes not counting time walking to the stop. By the time I'm headed home, it's a 15 minute drive but an 80 minute bus ride.
I'm very fortunate, I have 5 brewpubs and about 25-30 places to eat within walking distance.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,089,742 times
Quote:
I live near the center of my town*. If I want to go to a restaurant or bar in my town, it's in walking distance, in fact there's few places that are not in walking distance. Only reason I'd drive is if I'm going to a bar in another town. Which happens because many people I know live in other towns. But I've walked to bars far more than I drive

*Especially if you're renting, you're very likely going to within a 15 minute walk max from the center of town.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 PM

16,845 posts, read 29,175,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
How would you implement that solution? Would you suggest the bar or restaurant has a 1 drink per hour maximum? Would you implement a 'don't get wasted' campaign and sit back and hope that people take home the message?

I believe (but I could be wrong) that people are more likely to make better decisions when they have more options available to them. For example, why do you think Texas has a DWI fatality rate three times higher than New York's?
40+% of NY residents live in one of the 5 boroughs of NYC and have easy access to public transportation. Many city dwellers do not own cars.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 PM

17,457 posts, read 21,299,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

And now you have the proposal to impose an alcohol tax on all people who have a drink in order to give low cost rides home to sloppy drunks.
I'd take advantage of it, because I'm one the most paranoid drinkers around. So paranoid about getting a DUI, I won't even finish one beer at a bar, usually leaving behind a quarter of the bottle. With evening transportation, I might even go have another beer. And finish it!

If we went with the entrepreneurial bus system of Central America, there'd be no need for any subsidized, tax-dependent public transit system. There, they use our old school buses to transport people around, competing for passengers, with vendors hopping on and off the buses selling your a whole assortment of goods in transport. Can't afford those buses, and you're dirt poor, you take advantage of the pick-ups with the bars and benches in the back. IMO, the most luxurious transport system of all. And I've ridden both the so-called Chicken buses and the in the backs of the pick-ups when in Central America. All works like a charm! And I've never had to wait long for the next bus or pick-up.

No need to be at a designated bus stop, just hail the bus, bus stops, want to get off, say Stop, and they stop, perhaps right in front of your house.

Of course, we are a country rife with litigation, and that all transport be geared to the disabled, so it wouldn't work here! First drunk that loses his grip on a bar, in the back of the pick-up, and falls onto the pavement, that would be the end of that experiment!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:03 AM

17,457 posts, read 21,299,483 times
Another alternative: allowing those that are above the legal limit to sleep in the bar the rest of the night, provide bunk beds, cots, whatever.

But DUI's have become a huge profit maker for our government, lawyers. bondsmen, and whoever else benefits from it and dare we do anything to try and reduce their profits!!!

Sleep-deprived drivers, which has been proven, can be equal to drunk drivers in their dangers of being on the road, but this lucky crowd escapes the radar screens of the police. Until, they come up with a device to register how much sleep you had the night before.

It will happen, watch and see!

"It shows here you only got 3 hours sleep last night! Here's your ticket, and please give me your keys! There's a motel up yonder, you can walk it, and have a good night's sleep!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or